Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

6 minutes ago, craig said:

Gute knew and accepted that.  

1. He was willing to sacrifice those next 2-3 years to try to win it all last year.  The winning-it-all part didn't quite work out, but Gute was all in to try.  This was the deal to have Rodgers run it back, and to defer costs to keep the supporting cast together.
  2. Gute-Rodgers talked and the retirement option was/is very real.  Real then; real now; and real again next year if he's not traded.  So the "unless Rodgers retires we're destroyed" was a calculated risk that Gute was willing to gamble.  
  3. I assume both Gute-Rodgers understood that by going all-in for 2022 and pushing all the cap back, that it would make 24 and 25 tough. Both understood that retiring or taking a trade might be needed.  So again, the "unless Rodgers gets traded we're destroyed" was a calculated risk that Gute was again willing to gamble on.  

Given the crummy team we were last season, the going-all-in and sacrifice-the-future-for-2022 seems dumb in retrospect.  But after the two seasons we'd had, the idea of running it back with Jenkins and Bakhti back and Myers hypothetically 2nd-year-jumping must have seemed very plausible.  

You aren't going all in when you hoard picks and don't address the pass catching positions with vets. The eagles went all in. The niners went all in. The Packers went halfway because they lacked an actual plan.

Edited by PackFan13
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

This is hilariously wrong. They do that with vets. Manning is famous for not letting rookies get on the field. When did Brady or manning ever go into a season with no options at wr or te aside from a promising rookie and a maybe solid rookie? Listen to the wr they had from BYU talk about how manning treated him as a rookie. You're simply incorrect 

Who even mentioned Manning? I said Brady and Mahomes.  Both of those guys have invited players for offseason workouts in recent years, and both routinely showed up for OTA's.  Lazy Aaron went to Peru to drink silly tea, and decided to not work his legs.

23 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

This is hilariously wrong. They do that with vets. Manning is famous for not letting rookies get on the field. When did Brady or manning ever go into a season with no options at wr or te aside from a promising rookie and a maybe solid rookie? Listen to the wr they had from BYU talk about how manning treated him as a rookie. You're simply incorrect 

Who was that BYU kid?  Because Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark all played right away, didn't they?  I think they even used a first rounder on a Ohio State kid, Gonzales or something like that.  And he played right away.  As did Edgerrin James.  And that other RB that came after James.

Brady towards the end of his NE career didn't have much at WR.  Maybe more at TE.  He wasn't ever really loaded at skill positions...outside of having those outstanding rooms with Moss and Welker.  And I don't think they lasted together all that long.  But then along came Gronk.....

39 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Leaving aside the contract Lamar is looking for (which is pretty nuts) how closely does Hackett's scheme match up with what Lamar does well?  I honestly have no idea?

I don't think Hackett has ever had a running quarterback with little accuracy throwing the football. I don't see the Jets as a landing spot. 

There will be teams who pony up and write a contract in a way that makes it painful for the Ravens to match. 

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Who was that BYU kid?  Because Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark all played right away, didn't they?  I think they even used a first rounder on a Ohio State kid, Gonzales or something like that.  And he played right away.  As did Edgerrin James.  And that other RB that came after James.

Brady towards the end of his NE career didn't have much at WR.  Maybe more at TE.  He wasn't ever really loaded at skill positions...outside of having those outstanding rooms with Moss and Welker.  And I don't think they lasted together all that long.  But then along came Gronk.....

Collie is who he means. And he played right away, but theres a story mcafee tells about him being benched for trying to make a one handed catch.

• Like 2

Just now, HighCalebR said:

Collie is who he means. And he played right away, but theres a story mcafee tells about him being benched for trying to make a one handed catch.

Austin Collie, right?   I vaguely remember the name.  Sounds like something Manning would do.  

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Austin Collie. 

You're naming hall of famers with more than 5 years difference in years drafted with Clark and Wayne so I'm a bit confused how that's the same as our situation last year. Drafted a stud in Wayne in the first while having the all pro vet in Marvin.

Brady had the most dominant TE of all time for alot of his career with really good vets sprinkled in for NE (Moss, eldelman, welker, branch, Brown etc)  and clearly multiple studs in Tampa.

RB isn't nearly as relevant as the edge was just as good as Jones. New England dies RB right with low picks or fas on short deals. Hell we won the Superbowl with James starks off the Giants p squad and quarles as our te. The difference being we had talent at wr.

The moral of the story is they never had a similar situation to us last year, especially not as vets

Edited by PackFan13

Im probably in the minority here but there is no way the Jets take on Rodgers and don't re-do that contract (to remove as much of the ded cap charges in 25/26) which I am sure is part of the talks with Rodgers.

Just because he is guaranteed that option bonus this year, it doesn't mean he and the Jets cant agree to a new contract which supersedes this one. Now of course he will likely only agree to that if the cash being paid this year is similar which i'm sure it will be.

1 minute ago, PackFan13 said:

Austin Collie. 

You're naming hall of famers with more than 5 years difference in years drafted with Clark and Wayne so I'm a bit confused how that's the same as our situation last year. Drafted a stud in Wayne in the first while having the all pro vet in Marvin.

Brady had the most dominant TE of all time for alot of his career with really good vets sprinkled in for NE (Moss, eldelman, welker, branch, Brown etc)  and clearly multiple studs in Tampa.

You proved my point that they never had the lack of talent we did this year, especially not as vets. 

Never meant to disprove yah at all.

Manning had a great core of skill guys for years, and I simply did not remember him blocking anyone from getting on the field.  Because for most of his career, he had legends playing with him.

I think you can argue a little against Brady, especially at the end.  And in the beginning.  Branch was traded early and Brown was good but older.  Can't argue the middle (Moss/Welker).  I'd argue that Edelman was made by Brady...but who knows.  They were great together.  And Prime Gronk was amazing.  But still...he was injured a lot.  Then you get to the most underrated Brady guy of all time.  James "Don't Call Me Barry" White.