Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

4 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Can't wait to see what Rodgers gets the Jets to do to appease him if this deal gets done...

It will happen!

Jets will cut Corey Davies, frees us $10.5m cap space with only $600k cap hit, Rodgers will tell them spend that on Lazard.

Cobb and Lewis are cheap but maybe not be needed for anything other than company in the Big Apple.

They got Conklin and Uzomah, they don't need Tonyan.

Beckham back to the Big Apple to play with Rodgers. Jets will also get Orlando Brown and Mike McGlinchey. Offence set!!!

2 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

It will happen!

Jets will cut Corey Davies, frees us $10.5m cap space with only $600k cap hit, Rodgers will tell them spend that on Lazard.

Cobb and Lewis are cheap but maybe not be needed for anything other than company in the Big Apple.

They got Conklin and Uzomah, they don't need Tonyan.

Beckham back to the Big Apple to play with Rodgers. Jets will also get Orlando Brown and Mike McGlinchey. Offence set!!!

I was half expecting Rodgers to tell them they had to find a way to add Bakhtiari to the trade package. Rodgers has to sense the Jets desperation. The Packers may not be demanding much in return but that doesn't stop Aaron from making big demands.

49 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

They can generate the cap space.

The problem is, what do they have to do to get that cap space? All the “cap casualty” guys play significant roles for the team. I guess instead of cutting, they could restructure, but NYJ would already be on the hook for a colossal freight train of future dead money with the Rodgers contract without adding anything on top of it.

C.J.Mosley (LB) $21.5m hit ($14.9m dead): used 97.9% of snaps, age 31

Carl Lawson (DE) $15.7m hit ($0.3m dead): used 58.3% of snaps, age 28

D.J.Reed (CB) $14.1m hit ($6.3m dead): used 99.8% of snaps, age 27

John Franklin-Meyers (DE) $12.4m hit ($1.2m dead): used 56.5% of snaps, age 27

Corey Davis (WR) $11.2m hit ($0.7m dead): used 55.4% of snaps, age 28

Jordan Whitehead (S) $10.2m hit ($3.0m dead): used 99.3% of snaps, age 26

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I can see you really believe this. Me, I think they are about even.

It's probably about even, but I think the Packers are asking for a couple firsts and the Jets are countering with a couple seconds.  It's probably going to land somewhere in between with the Packers getting a 1st, a 2nd, and something else.

1 minute ago, TransientTexan said:

I guess instead of cutting, they could restructure

I look at the Jets salary cap and it so different to ours in terms of base salaries. The Jets have 9 players whose base salaries are on average above $10m, we only have Gary (who will get extended) who has a base salary of $10m. All those Jets contracts are ripe for converting to salary bonuses and adding void years, just like we have done. If you get Rodgers you know you have a two year window and then just take the cap hits afterwards.

Also just imagine how vexed the Jets fan base will be if the ownership has flirted with Rodgers and not been able to seal the deal. The Jets got to bend over and bring home the bacon and stop crying about the compensation. Gute is going to be doing them hard!!!!

Edited by Brit Pack

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's probably about even, but I think the Packers are asking for a couple firsts and the Jets are countering with a couple seconds.  It's probably going to land somewhere in between with the Packers getting a 1st, a 2nd, and something else.

I think this depends of how much of the contract the Packers swallow. Though it wouldn't surprise me if the return is light regardless. It can't be overstated how much Rodgers willingness to play elsewhere takes the Packers off the hook.

Expecting fans to be upset with what the deal looks like on the Packers end. Perhaps even taking on some of the money without getting a 1st.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I look at the Jets salary cap and it so different to ours in terms of base salaries. The Jets have 9 players whose base salaries are on average above $10m, we only have Gary (who will get extended) who has a base salary of $10m. All those Jets contracts are ripe for converting to salary bonuses and adding void years, just like we have done. If you get Rodgers you know you have a two year window and then just take the cap hits afterwards.

Yea, but there is a difference between taking a little cap hit afterwards and taking a wheels-fall-off level of cap hit afterwards. They’d already be looking at $30-60m of dead money per year after their 2-year run, solely from Rodgers contract by himself. 

for the record, I think a Rodgers trade is possible, but I would be surprised if the NYJ also take Lazard or others. 

Just now, TransientTexan said:

Yea, but there is a difference between taking a little cap hit afterwards and taking a wheels-fall-off level of cap hit afterwards. They’d already be looking at $30-60m of dead money per year after their 2-year run, solely from Rodgers contract by himself. 

for the record, I think a Rodgers trade is possible, but I would be surprised if the NYJ also take Lazard or others. 

Rodgers has said and the Packers have said that contract is going to get reworked and it will be for the Jets too. The option bonus and the triggers in the subsquent years will be changed up. Rodgers will get his money in different ways

30 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I was half expecting Rodgers to tell them they had to find a way to add Bakhtiari to the trade package. Rodgers has to sense the Jets desperation. The Packers may not be demanding much in return but that doesn't stop Aaron from making big demands.

interesting that Bahktiari contract has not been restructured by GB which leaves that door open 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Isn’t the rumor that he was already in NY?

There were initial reports Jets brass was flying to GB… I haven’t seen anything about Rodgers in NY yet. You’d think he’d want to check out the setup. 

Looking like @incognito_mangonna get a post from me admitting he was right on this one. But also could be Rodgers doing his due diligence.