Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

20 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

LOL! It'll be better than the Viking's horn! Every time we score a TD we get the Beatles' Love, Love. It'll drive the other team nuts! Gute is a genius.

and every time Love throws a pick on the road, we hear Love Stinks

I am in.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Just hope Gute sticks to his guns on any negotiations.  With FA coming up, a ticking clock turns the heat up on the Jets.  

We won't be players in FA, at least not serious players.  The Jets need a QB bad.  Wait'm out Gute.  

Don’t you think a lot of that was already set before they flew across the country to meet with him?

4 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Just hope Gute sticks to his guns on any negotiations.  With FA coming up, a ticking clock turns the heat up on the Jets.  

We won't be players in FA, at least not serious players.  The Jets need a QB bad.  Wait'm out Gute.  

I think he will ... he knows the Jets are enamored with #12 and now basically have to land him.  

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think he will ... he knows the Jets are enamored with #12 and now basically have to land him.  

Yeah he's got them bent over a barrel right now.

I still think it's going to be the Raiders.

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

Don’t you think a lot of that was already set before they flew across the country to meet with him?

Schefter said they talked before the Jets flew out and little was accomplished other than letting the Jets talk with Rodgers.

I'm not ruling out your view, in most cases, that's how they do it.  They very well could have reached a deal prior.

4 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

You'd think, but there's definitely a media campaign going on around that #13 pick.  There have been dozens of stories about the Packers maybe not getting that pick in return, and the Packers eating salary.  I think it's Jets spin to try and work the return down.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I don't either. Why I said negotiate down from that. I still think we get equivalent value to about pick 10. Maybe:

2023 pick 13

2023 3rd

2025 conditional 3rd with a low threshold for becoming a 2nd (i.e. Rodgers is rostered) and a higher threshold to become another first.

I really hope you are right.  As in REALLY hope you are right.

But in the back of my mind, I can see us swapping first rounders and then getting a player and or a couple non first round picks after that.

And that would greatly upset me.  As in GREATLY upset me.  

7 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

You'd think, but there's definitely a media campaign going on around that #13 pick.  There have been dozens of stories about the Packers maybe not getting that pick in return, and the Packers eating salary.  I think it's Jets spin to try and work the return down.  

Packers have the leverage. Jets are in a win now situation. What the hell are they going to do if they don't land Rodgers? Get in a bidding war for Jimmy G and maybe not even get him, or worse grossly over pay for him? They would look like total losers to the league and their fans. They are desperate. Packers will eat some money but get good draft capital.

1 hour ago, ChaRisMa said:

The Bakhtiari contract was awesome for a week before it became one of the worst deals in Packer history. Then Gute doubled down on it. 

If we trade Rodgers to the Jets I hope we swing his buddy in there too for the rest of their draft.

It was breaking the no 3rd contract rule, for a position you absolutely do it for if the player it at his level, and then he blew up his knee in practice just before the playoffs. It’s not possible to predict something like that but it is part of the game. We never adequately replaced him and the injury lingered longer than predicted by most people including me. It was an example of terrible luck at the worst time. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Eternal said:

Rodgers used to be a known. I'd say he's just as much of an unknown as Love is at this point with his play as of recent. You don't know what kind of commitment he will have in the off-season.

I'd rather go with a younger unknown then an older unknown who has 2-3 years left at most and will most likely only regress.

No problem with you wanting to go younger. But to say AR us an unknown after 2 mvp years and a year without any WR's not rookies is just a tough take on my part. All good though you are right we have no idea what kind of offseason he would put in. as much as AR denies it he's allot like his mentor in BF:). 

14 hours ago, Eternal said:

Rodgers used to be a known. I'd say he's just as much of an unknown as Love is at this point with his play as of recent. You don't know what kind of commitment he will have in the off-season.

I'd rather go with a younger unknown then an older unknown who has 2-3 years left at most and will most likely only regress.

Not necessarily from you, but there is a lot of Rodgers disrespect going on.

He is "known".  Very well known.  He's going to win regular season games.  He's going to sell tickets.  He's going to be a main event draw.  He's going to limit turnovers.  He's going to get blocking assignments set up and he's going to check out of some bad plays.

He's also going to avoid certain parts of the field.  He's not really a come from behind QB anymore.  And when the stakes are the highest, he usually shrinks as opposed to rising up to the challenge.

And at the end of the day, he's a top 12-13 QB in the league when having a "meh" season for him.  He's a top 1-4 QB when all goes right.  And a possible MVP candidate.

And for everything to go right, he needs little outside of what he can control.  Strength training in his legs.  Dedication to an off-season program.

I can see a scenario where he has an enormous bounce back season outside of GB.  He will have a chip on his shoulder.  Then the next season, regression like we saw this past year and probably worse.  Then retirement.

That's really how I see it going down for him if he is traded.  If he stays here...I don't see a "bounce" in his game just because he won't have that chip on his shoulder.

14 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

No, you didn’t merely state that as an unknown he’s not in Aaron Rodgers caliber yet - you matter of factly stated he’s not as if it’s known. That’s the problem people have with the comment you made. 

huge difference between what you stated and what you’re claiming you stated

Context is king, and clearly this is not coming across. Both are the same things matter of fact or merely stating. Bahaha. He's just not in AR's caliber. You won't convince me otherwise. Has nothing to do with support or desire for him to succeed. Currently he's just not. Hopefully he gets there, stays there and becomes an HOfer. 

14 hours ago, minnypackerfan said:

I agree that it is more likely to be a second this year.  If we eat part of the contract, I could potentially see it improving to a 1st round pick this year, but I doubt it.  Your right, the pick next year is almost more valuable and if they offered me a second this year and a first next year, I would take it in a heartbeat. I don't see the Jets even with Rodgers making the playoffs.

How?  If we assume we don't get their first, or we swap firsts for this year, they still have a high pick.  They have a young, good defense.

And they haven't had a middling QB in forever.  With Rodgers, the worst they are getting for QB play is Top 12ish, right?

That's around what he was last year...playing with rookies at WR.  Sure he will be with new teammates, so maybe they will be better out of the gates than our rookies were with him.

And I totally expect that if Rodgers goes somewhere....he's taking friends with him.

I think the Jets with Rodgers are in the playoffs and do win a game.  Dude will be motivated, he's already quite good and he should have friends.

12 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

The more I think about things I think the Jets showed their cards when they all hopped on a plane to fly to Cali to see Aaron.  They desperately want Aaron Rodgers, and really don't have any other realistic option that is on the same level as #12.  He perfectly fits what they want to do as a franchise.  The Packers should stick to their guns and land a fair deal that includes pick #13, and at least another conditional pick in 2024, and perhaps even a player like Denzel Mims.  

Mims pretty much sucks, though, doesn't he?