Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

He was holding some celebrity flag football thing in California today.

Yeah .. I'm guessing he announces tomorrow or Monday morning.  Monday is the start of legal tampering in free agency .. official league year and free agency starts Wednesday. Teams have to be cap compliant.  He's got to get this ended soon, one way or another. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah maybe something like would work   I've had my heart set on pick #13, but if they can come up with similar value with other picks/players I guess I wouldn't quibble much. Only getting a couple of 2nd's would be underwhelming.  

Agreed, just trying to be realistic.  I really doubt they include their 1 this year.  That above is my floor, my ceiling would certainly include this years 1

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. I'm guessing he announces tomorrow or Monday morning.  Monday is the start of legal tampering in free agency .. official league year and free agency starts Wednesday. Teams have to be cap compliant.  He's got to get this ended soon, one way or another. 

Why does Rodgers have to end this soon?

7 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Why does Rodgers have to end this soon?

A place to play? I don't think the Packers want him under center this year. Heck, Murphy made that clear as could be. 

It seems to be the Jets or retire unless somebody else suddenly pops up. Rodgers could be delaying if he's going to retire in order to stick to the Packers a bit. I don't see him retiring though. 

21 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Give me a 2, 3, and 6 this year, if he plays again next year a 3 and conditional pick that could be a 1 but no less than a 2.

So, likely 2 2’s, 2 3’s, and a 6.  That’s my floor.  No less, and we eat no more cap than what we must for this last season.

It wasn’t that long ago that many GB fans were demanding three 1st rd picks, additional picks and a quality player in return for Rodgers lol.  IDC if there’s a presumption that the Jets (or their fans) need to keep pick #13 to assuage Rodgers.  That’s not how things work. Give us #13 in return and I’m good tbh. 

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He doesn't, but I don't think the Jets are going to wait around a whole lot longer.  That's a decent opportunity for him, especially with no other suitors. 

I suspect the alternative is GB ships him to somewhere he doesn’t want to go for a lower pick, or he retires. He doesn’t want to show up to Las Vegas or wherever? Oh well, it’s their problem now 

4 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I suspect the alternative is GB ships him to somewhere he doesn’t want to go for a lower pick, or he retires. He doesn’t want to show up to Las Vegas or wherever? Oh well, it’s their problem now 

Nobody is going to give up anything until Rodgers says he's going to play for them. Until then, he's our problem and that is courtesy of Gute giving him that extension last year. 

7 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Nobody is going to give up anything until Rodgers says he's going to play for them. Until then, he's our problem and that is courtesy of Gute giving him that extension last year. 

I’m not saying I believe this, but do you think a team would trade like a 7th just for the right to trade Rodgers themselves? How desperate could GB get to just get rid of him? Again, I’m not sure how feasible any of this is but I’ve been throwing it around in my head.

Edited by Isherwood

On 3/9/2023 at 10:17 AM, Brit Pack said:

Just looking at this now, the Jets are so geared up for an all in appraoch. They could make some or all of these roster moves, clear up a shed load of cap space and go out and spend like crazy to build around Rodgers for a Super Bowl push:

CJ Mosley – $17m base salary – extend or add void years and convert to signing bonus – he has two years on his deal

Laken Tomlinson – $12m base salary – extend or add void years and convert to signing bonus – he has two years on his deal

Carl Lawson - $15m base salary, $300k dead cap hit, last year of deal, either extend or cut

DJ Reed - $10.5m base salary, cutting would save $8m, probably won’t but could add void years and convert to signing bonus

Jonathan Franklin Meyers - $11.4m base salary, cutting him saves $11m, but he was pretty good, convert to signing bonus his base salary

Duane Brown - $9m base salary, he is 38 years old, cut him and save almost $5m

Corey Davis $10.5m base salary, last year of deal, cut him and only $666k dead cap

Jordan Whitehead - $10m cap hit, cut him and save almost $7m, or extend him as he is in the last year of his deal

Quinnen Williams in last year of his deal and has a cap hit of $9.5m, he’ll be extended

Braxton Barrios in last year of deal, cut him and save $5m or extend him

P.S I'm sure the Packers bring this up in negotations, that the Jets can easily handle any Rodgers cap ramifications. They are basically saying to the Jets we are giving you the best shot at a Super Bowl in donkeys years. If they free up all this cap and have no QB what's the point, they are primed to make a run 

As predicted:

Barrios cut

Tomlinson and Reed judt now extended

Thrse and with earlier moves $21m created

Then $10m for cutting Davis

$5M for cutting 38 year old Brown

Lawson on $15m final year of deal cut or extend

They'll do something with Mosely and extend Quinnen Willams both with combined base of $27m

None of this would be going down unless they are welcoming the Mother Ship

Edited by Brit Pack
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

As predicted:

Barrios cut

Tomlinson and Reed judt now extended

Thrse and with earlier moves $21m created

Then $10m for cutting Davis

$5M for cutting 38 year old Brown

Lawson on $15m final year of deal cut or extend

They'll do something with Mosely and extend Quinnen Willams both with combined base of $27m

None of this would be going down unless they are welcoming the Mother Ship

Oh are these happening right now? Maybe Jets needed to get books in order before trade could be announced?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

It wasn’t that long ago that many GB fans were demanding three 1st rd picks, additional picks and a quality player in return for Rodgers lol.  IDC if there’s a presumption that the Jets (or their fans) need to keep pick #13 to assuage Rodgers.  That’s not how things work. Give us #13 in return and I’m good tbh. 

Lately?  I would have agreed to that demand when we should have traded him, not now.  That ship sailed and sunk.  I really doubt we get 13 overall, hope I am wrong.  I’m now watching MU put it to them so a bit distracted!

Edited by 15412
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Could be the Jets promised to make an acquisition for him (as Sauce alluded to, and the last tweet from that random guy said) and he's waiting for them to complete that and then he'll join them 

My understanding is that the acquisition is going to be a MAJOR game-changer.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

When Murphy made his comments, it seemed pretty clear to me that GB's priority is to move on.  The compensation for Rodgers is going to be light.