Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

Yeah I am critical as anyone, I wanted to Trade Rodgers for the Wilson haul, but I see the logic that no GM would ever trade a back to back MVP. I think Gute has been above average.  The contract they gave ARod is the only real scab on his body of work.

Loved the Rodgers pick at the time and loved the Love pick at the time.

Edited by fattlipp

Gonna push back a little on the narrative here that the packers don't have to move Rodgers this year.

They DON'T, absolutely DON'T have to move Rodgers until the end of training camp/start of season.  They can wait that long.  They DO, absolutely DO, have to move Aaron Rodgers this year before exercising his option bonus.  If they end up on the hook for that option, their 2024 cap and dead charges for trading him next year will be +27M to trade him vs keeping him.  That's 3x worse than the situation this year where "it costs 8M more to trade than to keep".   

Well, that's only sort of true- right?  It may cost 8M in cap 2023 less to keep him, but it will cost 27M MORE next year, in a year where Jordan Love will have a significant cap charge due to his 20M fully GTD 5th year option.  

That's not a tenable situation for GB next year, so they absolutely need to do something about that this year if the plan is to move on from Rodgers.

If the Jets are willing to wait until the very start of the season, they can get Rodgers pretty cheap since they will be forcing GBs hand to deal him or eat the prohibitive future money.  If they want him now, it's probably gonna cost a lot.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Bad optics matter, especially going forward. Doing all of this to haggle over a couple late round picks and dead cap in an already lost year is pointless in my opinion. Rodgers going out there telling everyone our front office is full of snakes damages our ability to retain guys and sign free agents over the next couple of years.

And how do you know it’s over this? You in the room or on the phone with them?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

Gonna push back a little on the narrative here that the packers don't have to move Rodgers this year.

They DON'T, absolutely DON'T have to move Rodgers until the end of training camp/start of season.  They can wait that long.  They DO, absolutely DO, have to move Aaron Rodgers this year before exercising his option bonus.  If they end up on the hook for that option, their 2024 cap and dead charges for trading him next year will be +27M to trade him vs keeping him.  That's 3x worse than the situation this year where "it costs 8M more to trade than to keep".   

Well, that's only sort of true- right?  It may cost 8M in cap 2023 less to keep him, but it will cost 27M MORE next year, in a year where Jordan Love will have a significant cap charge due to his 20M fully GTD 5th year option.  

That's not a tenable situation for GB next year, so they absolutely need to do something about that this year if the plan is to move on from Rodgers.

If the Jets are willing to wait until the very start of the season, they can get Rodgers pretty cheap since they will be forcing GBs hand to deal him or eat the prohibitive future money.  If they want him now, it's probably gonna cost a lot.

Bonus for them… Rodgers doesn’t think you need to go thru an off-season schedule to get chemistry.

hold out jets!

8 minutes ago, StatKing said:

I just don't see the plan. Like @Donzosaid, Gute seems to be making very reactionary decisions. They ruined their own reputation for no reason in my eyes. If we would have traded him last year we wouldn't even be having a conversation about what the compensation would be. This dragging out is a nightmare for us.

This will absolutely have zero effect on their reputation.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Much better to roll over and die and have a reputation for being a complete *****. 

The Packers are now in the driver's seat. Make them pay.

In the nhl, there was a GM with the nickname the dentist… because of how terrible it was to do trades with him.

People still came to the table…

18 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Gute has been a complete disaster ever since flushing a 1st & 4th on Love. 

• Wastes a 1st & 4th round pick on an awful college QB.  

Spending a 1st and a 4th for a QB with Love’s skill set is a brilliant strategy.  

Look at the draft capital it takes to pick top 3 if you’re not already there.  Which you won’t be with a good QB.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I don't think anyone is saying they don't have to trade him this year, but as you said, those saying Gb has time are referencing the offseason. I think everyone is aware they have to get rid of him by the season start.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

I don't think anyone is saying they don't have to trade him this year, but as you said, those saying Gb has time are referencing the offseason. I think everyone is aware they have to get rid of him by the season start.

question asks GIF

2 minutes ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

there's a bit of a "we have all the leverage" sentiment which I think is correct now as compared to the Jets.  But if the Jets keep holding out and not agreeing to our demands, that leverage starts to flip as we get closer to the season starting.

The way that shifts back again is if another team enters the bidding.  Such as Las Vegas or some team who was hoping to get a draft QB and did not, or suffers a QB injury pre-season.

Edited by skibrett15
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

there's a bit of a "we have all the leverage" sentiment which I think is correct now as compared to the Jets.  But if the Jets keep holding out and not agreeing to our demands, that leverage starts to flip as we get closer to the season starting.

The way that shifts back again is if another team enters the bidding.  Such as Las Vegas or some team who was hoping to get a draft QB and did not, or suffers a QB injury pre-season.

Agreed, best case scenario is that a team like the Colts or Texans enter (Raiders are out I believe with Jimmy G in house now). Worst case scenario is the Jets play it out to August.

10 minutes ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

This will absolutely have zero effect on their reputation.

The only real reputation that'll be lost will be the reputation that comes with a BIG Name in a Leadership Position. The rep that led pundits to declare us a Super Bowl Contender going into last season despite all the question marks going in.

Jets have no leverage.  They need a QB, right now, and are planning to win now with Rodgers.

But Packers have no leverage.  They've got to move him, and he's 39, and wants out. 

What the deal ends up being, I don't know.  I'll accept whatever we get.  But the Packers need to make a deal, and get what they can.  

The logic that they want to go this year with both Love and Rodgers, and zero cap space for going-all-in this year, that's absurd.  And if they bring him back, then we'll get a big cap his 2024 and have little cash-to-improve again.  

These are two want-this-to-happen teams who both desperately want this to happen.  Two teams with no leverage. 

Something will get done.