Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

Just now, CWood21 said:

You look at Atlanta's core offensive players of Tyler Allgeier (22 years old), Drake London (21 years old), and Kyle Pitts (20 years old).  That's a young core.  Derek Carr turns 32 years old in a few months.  For that reason alone, I think Atlanta is a very unlikely landing place.  Lamar Jackson at just 26 years old would make more sense, and I think that's the reason why if they go QB shopping this offseason it's going to either be via the draft or trade for Lamar Jackson.  None of the QBs that are rumored to be available fit the Falcons' timeline.  I think they're still 1-2 years away from being competitive, and might be 1 more offseason away from being in the QB market.  Lamar Jackson accelerates that timeline though.

As for the Bucs, I think they're effectively hamstrung by Tom Brady.  They're pretty much waiting on Brady to tell them whether or not he'd come back.  And if they believe they're out, I think they're going to quickly want to pivot to Carr, Rodgers, and/or Lamar Jackson.

Based on their interest in Watson last offseason I think it's safe to assume they'll be all in on Lamar if he becomes available. 

They only have three weeks to get into the Carr sweepstakes. Do you think the Packers would really consider sending AR to Tampa?

Just now, NYRaider said:

If you're really only willing to work with an AFC team it significantly limits your options.

As I mentioned before, I think that's just a leverage ploy.  Basically saying that if you're an NFC team, you better be willing to pay big.  Does anyone really think that any GM would turn out a clearly better package for a lesser package simply because the team offering more is in the same conference?  That's a fireable offense right there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

As I mentioned before, I think that's just a leverage ploy.  Basically saying that if you're an NFC team, you better be willing to pay big.  Does anyone really think that any GM would turn out a clearly better package for a lesser package simply because the team offering more is in the same conference?  That's a fireable offense right there.

Does Rodgers have a NTC?

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

It was just kind of odd to me that he already knew he was gone as soon as the season ended.

Packers are pretty much tight up against the salary cap as it is, and this is his first payday.  Sounds like a player who realistically knows what his market is ($10M+) and knows Green Bay can't really match that.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Does Rodgers have a NTC?

No.  But the retirement threat is a de facto NTC.  I think it's going to most likely be a situation where Rodgers tells Gute he's willing to be trade to 3-4 teams, and if he thinks the package is too heavy of a loss for the team trading for him he'll use the retirement threat.  Think Kobe Bryant trade talks years ago when they were shopping him to the Bulls, but Kobe vetoed that when the Bulls were going to include Luol Deng.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Can't help but wonder if the Ravens are seriously far apart from Lamar if a 3 team deal couldn't be in play there and Rodgers goes to Baltimore to bridge a 2 year gap to their next young QB.

GB gets: picks & young players

Balt gets: Rodgers and picks

NYJ/ATL/CAR gets: Lamar

Wouldn't the Ravens have to franchise tag him to trade him? And can't it only be draft picks for a player that's on the tag?

Can't help but wonder if the Ravens are seriously far apart from Lamar if a 3 team deal couldn't be in play there and Rodgers goes to Baltimore to bridge a 2 year gap to their next young QB.

I think IF Baltimore moves on from Lamar Jackson (and I'd still say that's unlikely), they're going to roll with Tyler Huntley and not use those picks for Rodgers.

Similar to SF, which would probably require a 3rd team and Lance. 

Baltimore would obviously be more attractive for GB. But SF is Rodgers dream landing spot.

Just now, NYRaider said:

Wouldn't the Ravens have to franchise tag him to trade him? And can't it only be draft picks for a player that's on the tag?

Correct.  Although, it could be orchestrated as effectively 2 separate deals.  Lamar Jackson for picks, and then Rodgers for picks.

• Like 1

Just now, CWood21 said:

No.  But the retirement threat is a de facto NTC.  I think it's going to most likely be a situation where Rodgers tells Gute he's willing to be trade to 3-4 teams, and if he thinks the package is too heavy of a loss for the team trading for him he'll use the retirement threat.  Think Kobe Bryant trade talks years ago when they were shopping him to the Bulls, but Kobe vetoed that when the Bulls were going to include Luol Deng.

Just now, incognito_man said:

No legally, but effectively.

No team is going to give up the picks necessary to trade for him unless he enthusiastically wants to go there.

I can't believe that Rodgers doesn't have a NTC but we gave one to Carr, lol. 

If you guys are open to trading him within the NFC I think the Commanders would be a logical fit. 

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I think IF Baltimore moves on from Lamar Jackson (and I'd still say that's unlikely), they're going to roll with Tyler Huntley and not use those picks for Rodgers.

Has Huntley really shown enough to roll with him as your starter as a team that has the ability to contend?