Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

21 minutes ago, Sandy said:

$104m spread over 4 years really isn't bad. 

$59m spread over three isn't either.

They'll make more revenue from having him on the roster than not.

Lastly..adding the HoF QB is the first move, not the last. The Bucs we're a dumpster for years before getting Brady.

I think it's all about the salary cap # .. he'll be a reasonable 15 mil this year and 31 mil in 2024 for an acquiring team.  It's a bargain for a four time MVP.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, squire12 said:

They can for sure.  Just not sure that is a desired destination.  Nice offense weapons in adams, Renfrow, Waller.

OL is meh and defensive is nothing special.  Is LV path to playoffs decent?

Can that team realistically stop the Chiefs from scoring?  Even with MVP Rodgers, they are looking at a shoot-out.  

8 hours ago, Sandy said:

There will be a bidding war for Rodgers. I bet he signs off on five teams - SF (who lack the draft capital to compete), MIA (who lack the draft capital to compete), NYJ, TEN, and LV (I don't think he wants to go to Washington).

So if SF goes for Brady (the logical and obvious move after the Purdy news), and let's say Carr is traded to WAS, then you have NYJ, TEN, and LV all fighting for the one QB on the market that they think can deliver them a Super Bowl.

The player they're getting is cheap each of the next two seasons, and all three teams have plenty of cap space to take him on and fill any remaining gaps. The owners will get involved and we will get multiple first round picks.

I'd consider adding Lamar and Baltimore to this list as well. 

7 hours ago, VonKarman said:

It's not Rodgers who you trade, it's Rodgers and 60M fully guaranteed+a second year with an injury guarantee. That contract has a huge negative value.

It really doesn't at all. He's at like $18 and $31mil in cap hit the next two years. His contract is a positive to a trading team.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think it's all about the salary cap # .. he'll be a reasonable 15 mil this year and 31 mil in 2024 for an acquiring team.  It's a bargain for a four time MVP.

Yes. This. 

Our FO set it up so his cap hits are really attractive to a trade partners. His contract INCREASES his trade value for us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

It really doesn't at all. He's at like $18 and $31mil in cap hit the next two years. His contract is a positive to a trading team.

But after that you have the massive $50M dead cap hit when he's no longer around.

Which can be a problem for the future. Teams seem to not mind taking on large dead cap rebuilds as much as I think they should.

2 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

But after that you have the massive $50M dead cap hit when he's no longer around.

Which can be a problem for the future. Teams seem to not mind taking on large dead cap rebuilds as much as I think they should.

It's because owners care about real cash flow. Aaron Rodgers will be a real cash flow boon for a trading team AND it allows roster construction for at least two years around him. 

After that, it's another conversation.

Teams will be drooling to land him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

It's because owners care about real cash flow. Aaron Rodgers will be a real cash flow boon for a trading team AND it allows roster construction for at least two years around him. 

If there are teams drooling to land him and his salary restraints why would Packers' management be as ready to move on as fans and media types think?  IMO it all depends upon how ready Love is to take the reins.  If Rodgers returns that will tell us a lot, frankly.

2 minutes ago, Pugger said:

If there are teams drooling to land him and his salary restraints why would Packers' management be as ready to move on as fans and media types think?  IMO it all depends upon how ready Love is to take the reins.  If Rodgers returns that will tell us a lot, frankly.

Yeah .. it might speak to how bad Love is, but it also could speak to how paralyzed the franchise is to change. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Can spread it over two years depending on when the retirement paperwork is filled out. Especially if he signs a restructure to spread it out again before retirement.

Also, these GMs aren't worried about three years from now. If they don't make bold moves they'll be out of work.

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'd consider adding Lamar and Baltimore to this list as well. 

I thought about it but I don't think they let him see thel light of day via franchise tag 

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

This team is tapped out. It's like an economy: there are cycles. And we've pushed ourselves to the brink with years of restructures. 

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. it might speak to how bad Love is, but it also could speak to how paralyzed the franchise is to change. 

What we saw of Love this year was pretty darn good. Small sample size to be sure. 

If we don't move Rodgers, you are correct, too much fear in the building to pull the trigger. 

2 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Couple things, Pugger...as a keyboard warrior....

Finances.  We have a large dead cap hit that stays with us, so while his contract is appealing to an acquiring team, they are only taking on part of that contract.  His guaranteed dollars stay with us, while he is not here.

Play on the field.  We've seen him be a 2X MVP (or 4X MVP), a QB who can dominate the regular season.  And we know that when the stakes are high, he disappears.  We've seen it long enough to know how big games in the playoffs go down with Rodgers.

Love.  We are nearing the end of his rookie deal and it really is time to see if the kid can play.

Compensation.  We won't get the return now that we would have a year or two ago.  But, it will still be a nice return and either we build around Love with it, or we can use some of it to try to replace Love.

It makes sense to move on from him from a team building perspective.

As a fan perspective?  A nostalgic fan?  Would be cool to see him end his career only wearing a GB jersey.  And while I do prefer that method...yes I am nostalgic....it is also not what is best for the team.

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

a fair point. One thing I got used to under the Ted Thompson era was maintaining a flat cap. Which is probably the right thing to do when you have a superstar QB who keeps you in the playoffs every year. 

But when you're near the end of that QB run, or if you have a roster that can dominate if a QB joins the team, you might as well go for it. Draft picks will return when the team starts stinking again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

What we saw of Love this year was pretty darn good. Small sample size to be sure. 

If we don't move Rodgers, you are correct, too much fear in the building to pull the trigger. 

We definitely saw enough good from Love to give him a starting opportunity.  It's the perfect jumping off point with #12.  Well actually last off-season was the right time, but the front office gets a do-over.  If they pass it up again then I think it's fair to put every single one of them on the hot season.  Another non-playoff season with #12 at the helm and they all get canned.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 4