Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

18 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Kudos for understanding Rodgers and being on the right track. Rodgers wouldn't play along with the musings of being traded to the Raiders if he actually was entertaining the idea. Literally uttering the word "Raiders" was everyone's clue that it's not going to happen. Rodgers doesn't operate so open and obvious. But it sure got a bunch of people worked up. Something Rodgers does thoroughly enjoy. Touches his "I'm smarter than everyone else" funny bone. He wouldn't toy with Packers fan in this manner either unless he ultimately knew he was going to come back.

He may be planning on returning to the Packers, but I'm not so sure the Packers are planning on having him back.  

22 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Kudos for understanding Rodgers and being on the right track. Rodgers wouldn't play along with the musings of being traded to the Raiders if he actually was entertaining the idea. Literally uttering the word "Raiders" was everyone's clue that it's not going to happen. Rodgers doesn't operate so open and obvious. But it sure got a bunch of people worked up. Something Rodgers does thoroughly enjoy. Touches his "I'm smarter than everyone else" funny bone. He wouldn't toy with Packers fan in this manner either unless he ultimately knew he was going to come back.

Someone should tell Aaron it's only funny to us when he wins 13 games and MVP. He used to toy with people who were longing to have him back, not sure he realizes now he's toying with people happy to see him go. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Someone should tell Aaron it's only funny to us when he wins 13 games and MVP. He used to toy with people who were longing to have him back, not sure he realizes now he's toying with people happy to see him go. 

You're not wrong, but it's never stopped him. He follows the beat of his own drum. He also knows that all he has to do is profess his love and commitment to Green Bay when he announces he's staying put and he'll still have all the same hearts of Packers fans that he had before. Not all, but many.

ETA: It's a 2-way street as well. There has always been a subset of fans that didn't welcome Rodgers going all the way back to when he supplanted Favre. That experience helped Rodgers compartmentalize different groups of Packers fans. It's a good thing too because the way some Packers fans treated him in the beginning would have led others to bail the first chance they got. He has his strengths and he has his weaknesses. 

Edited by Mr Anonymous

19 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

You're not wrong, but it's never stopped him. He follows the beat of his own drum. He also knows that all he has to do is profess his love and commitment to Green Bay when he announces he's staying put and he'll still have all the same hearts of Packers fans that he had before. Not all, but many.

ETA: It's a 2-way street as well. There has always been a subset of fans that didn't welcome Rodgers going all the way back to when he supplanted Favre. That experience helped Rodgers compartmentalize different groups of Packers fans. It's a good thing too because the way some Packers fans treated him in the beginning would have led others to bail the first chance they got. He has his strengths and he has his weaknesses. 

I saw the Packers going for +600 in some spots for Aaron's team next year. You could make some serious coin if you're as confident as you seem. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Remember that.  Thought fans were horrible to Aaron early on.  Felt bad for the guy.  This was before he tore up the league.  If he ends up back in GB I'll still support him of course.  Just won't have any expectations that the team will go anywhere next year.  Always loved the guy and think a lot of criticisms are unfair.  Very intelligent person.  Listened to Tuesdays with Aaron (Wilde the drama queen) and then McAfee.  

2023 isn't going to be a good year regardless.  Love starts we'll have to endure his growing pains.  Rodgers starts but the supporting cast isn't good enough.  Team needs a mini rebuild at this stage.  As others have stated I'd rather have a team with the potential to improve rather than one in decline.  Biggest problem with retaining Rodgers is his contract.  Wouldn't feel good about pushing more dead cap down the road with a restructure either.

Also after 3 years it would sure be nice to see what we have in Love.  Wasted opportunity when Rodgers broke his thumb.  Should have sat him and let that thing heal.  Could have had a nice long look to see what exactly Love is.  

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He may be planning on returning to the Packers, but I'm not so sure the Packers are planning on having him back.  

What makes you believe Packers' management wants to move on with Love?  IMO until we hear it from Gute and company all this other talk is just conjecture by fans and media types.

4 hours ago, fattlipp said:

If he goes to Vegas instead of the Jets, tell you alot about him, he cares more about stats than rings…

I don't think it tells us anything for three reasons.

First, we don't know how many teams he would approve a trade to. He could approve of three teams. If that's the case, the Raiders have the most to offer the Packers. If they don't give up #7 then they don't get Rodgers. The Jets don't have a single asset that can compete.

Second, he's in a division with an elite team and QB whether it's the Jets (Bills) or Raiders (Chiefs). So it's not like either is a freebie.

Last, there could be a ton of reasons he goes to Vegas besides stats. Vegas is the only team that can sign all his friends. They have so much cap space they can then sign an entire interior offensive line and defense. it's equidistant from NorCal and SoCal. The weather is warm in winter. Have you been to Vegas in January? It's lovely.

I want Rodgers traded as much as the next guy but we don't need to slander him out the door. Of course the guy wants another frickin Super Bowl ring.

4 minutes ago, Pugger said:

What makes you believe Packers' management wants to move on with Love?  IMO until we hear it from Gute and company all this other talk is just conjecture by fans and media types.

True, but there has been a lot of chatter out there from supposed front office folks that the Packers want to move on from Aaron.  The Packers brass is never going to come out and say it .. even if it is true that they want to go with Love.  Those betting market odds are often a good indicator of how things are trending.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

7 minutes ago, Pugger said:

For me it was Gute's responses and body language in the end of season interview. He particularly avoided the question when asked if he wants Rodgers back next year. And I think he's got Russ Ball in his ear telling him they're running out of train track.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

True, but there has been a lot of chatter out there from supposed front office folks that the Packers want to move on from Aaron.  The Packers brass is never going to come out and say it .. even if it is true that they want to go with Love.  Those betting market odds are often a good indicator of how things are trending.

Yes, they aren't gonna come out and say it publicly but are some front office folks hinting it to the media and this is where the chatter is coming from?  We shall find out in a couple of weeks.  Until then I'm not going to put a lot of stock into these "reports".

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I wonder what gems the McAfee show will bring us today. It's Tuesday's that Rodgers normally appears, no?

Last week he said he didn't want to detract from the upcoming super bowl focus, but then Brady announced his retirement.  I wouldn't be surprised if Aaron tried to grab onto the spotlight with some nuggets.

3 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Yes, they aren't gonna come out and say it publicly but are some front office folks hinting it to the media and this is where the chatter is coming from?  We shall find out in a couple of weeks.  Until then I'm not going to put a lot of stock into these "reports".

I hear ya .. it could all just be a lot of b.s.  The Packers haven't tamped down potential trade chatter at all.  Two years ago they flat out said .. nope, not trading Aaron Rodgers.  Last year they didn't make any statement.  They probably listened, but at the end of the day though they had a legit shot to take it deep into the playoffs.  This year after a non playoff season they are probably all ears.  By all accounts Love made some real progress this year and the Packers comfort level in him increased.  A lot of it will probably come down to what kind of offers they might be getting from other teams.  I doubt they turn down a great offer.  

Brady has more retirements than Ol Rodg has Super Bowls.  But, at least he's working on a new gig.  Rodg just co-hosted an astrology webinar, maybe the Ouija board is next up.  He himself is a Sagittarius, but he's actually been a Cancer for some time now.

He should have been traded last time for a Watson or Wilson windfall, the best thing for both sides is to work out an equitable deal with a team that works for both parties.  Raiders, Jets, Titans.  That's where this thing sits, although I don't know how the Titans would work this cap wise without destroying their near future.  It has to be a team Rodg would go to and a team willing to pay retail for an old and regressing QB who can still play at a level better than what they've had.  It's the only way this works.  It starts by the team telling Rodg Cobb, Lewis, and likely more are soon to be free.

• Like 1