2023 STEELERS NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS

armsteeld

26 minutes ago, jebrick said:

With all of the WRs that fail in the NFL due to the fact that they can't learn to run routes, I love WR that have high floors of being able to get open.

And in general I’m fine with that. But we have spent so many high end assets on okay receivers. This roster doesn’t need another one, but there are multiple other positions that would benefit greatly from even just an okay player on a rookie deal. 

So IMO, using a top 32 asset on a receiver  would need to be for a high end Jefferson/Chase ceiling. Chase Claypool was productive. We don’t need productive. We need a dominator. If not, skip wide receivers turn. 

Imagine this: Steelers offense opens the game in 12 personnel. Skill position players KP, Nah, DJ, Pickens, Friermuth, Darnell & Washington. 

How does a defense counter this? They bring in their heavy package or better run defenders. But there's a twist as Pickett sends Najee wide and one of the TEs flex off the LoS.

What the heck? The defense was expecting a run and now they have to play the pass with a run defense.

That opens up mismatch options for the Steelers. It also balances out a defense and makes QB reads become easier. 

Say the defense plays smaller guys who can defend the pass? Najee Harris and that OL bulldozes them until the defense quits. 

12 personnel can be a great weapon when used properly.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

which WR's and where do you want to draft them?

I'm not hating on Addison, by the way, I just think we shouldn't be drafting 
a receiver in the first 3 rounds. We just have more pressing needs, so I'm looking 
at who might add something to the offence in mid/later rounds.

So I guess that rules out (for me at least) Q.Johnson, J.Addison, J.Smith Njigba,
J.Hyatt, Z.Flowers, J.Downs, R.Rice. Not saying they aren't good, just that they'll go higher than 
I want to spend a pick on.

So I'm looking players like M.Mims (great combine) B.Ford Wheaton (now may go too high), C.Tillman, 
J.Reed, C.Jones, R.Jarrett (sleeper pick maybe), T.Palmer, T.Scott, etc.

Z.Franklin, as many have said on here is also interesting.

I think getting someone like R.Jarrett on Day 3 would be more what I'm thinking.
I just think we have much bigger needs.

If we just had to add a weapon to the O early, I think D.Washington would be more interesting.

Edited by mwalker

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Immediate production doesn’t worry me. It’s using 17 or 32 on a receiver that’s not a dominator after using top 66 picks in like 5 of the last 6 drafts. 

I don’t doubt that he could be a nice player… but for our team, where you need to take them, and their relative replacement of production vs others… I just don’t think it’s worth it. I don’t think he is an elite player. Just a nice one. 

Literally the only reason I wouldn't complain is because of his history with Kenny.

I really hope we dont touch a WR in the draft this year, but Im prepared for it.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Very little wasted motion. Good choppy but quick steps. Arms didn’t flair out to turn. Great balance with feet inside hips the entire time. He’s gonna be a stud. 

Agree. He's going to be a player, despite the lack of top end speed.

8 minutes ago, mwalker said:

I'm not hating on Addison, by the way, I just think we shouldn't be drafting 
a receiver in the first 3 rounds. We just have more pressing needs, so I'm looking 
at who might add something to the offence in mid/later rounds.

So I guess that rules out (for me at least) Q.Johnson, J.Addison, J.Smith Njigba,
J.Hyatt, Z.Flowers, J.Downs, R.Rice. Not saying they aren't good, just that they'll go higher than 
I want to spend a pick on.

So I'm looking players like M.Mims (great combine) B.Ford Wheaton (now may go too high), C.Tillman, 
J.Reed, C.Jones, R.Jarrett (sleeper pick maybe), T.Palmer, T.Scott, etc.

Z.Franklin, as many have said on here is also interesting.

I think getting someone like R.Jarrett on Day 3 would be more what I'm thinking.
I just think we have much bigger needs.

If we just had to add a weapon to the O early, I think D.Washington would be more interesting.

I was of this train of thought a while ago, I wanted OL, CB heavy early. However, if the right weapon is there early, it gets tempting.  The part about a legit weapon is it will help KP and score more points and if really goo d it might get dj traded. 

With CB a strength in this class, it would be nice to get one really early and then  80 or thereabouts if trades occur.  If they keep Kazee and Rell, then of course Sutton, the secondary would be set for years B|.   This is a great year to make that a reality.  Maybe OL will be next year for a deep draft class. 

13 minutes ago, 43M said:

I really hope we dont touch a WR in the draft this year, but Im prepared for it.

I was similar to this . The way I see it is if the player is actually really good then it helps. If the pick is used on a player like and artie, bud, jarvis, davis etc..... not so good. It's a risk, and a good WR should help the team. I would still prefer trenches in UFA + the draft, but with so many needs it's wait and see.