Week 16 Gameday Thread (Christmas Day Edition) - Green Bay Packers (6-8-0) at Miami Dolphins (8-6-0)

Striker

13 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Bak, SJC, Garvin, Caleb Jones and Johnathan Ford inactive. About what I expected but I wonder if SJC and Garvin are dinged up or just passed by. 

I think it's the latter. I project neither to make the roster next year.

7 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Bak, SJC, Garvin, Caleb Jones and Johnathan Ford inactive. About what I expected but I wonder if SJC and Garvin are dinged up or just passed by. 

I had hopes for both SJC and Garvin.  I think SJC can turn into a Chandon Sullivan type player, but I think that Nixon has passed him up, and Chandon himself was better last season.  Rasul also came out of nowhere last season which pushed SJC further down the pecking order.  From what I recall, he was good in the preseason, I think the ability is there, just not the opportunity.  Garvin on the other hand, I think is just a whiff.  He is probably what you would draw if you were asked to make a pass rusher.  But for whatever reason, he just isn't very good at football.  He has has all kinds of opportunities and hasn't capitalized on any of them.  Since he has been here he has been clearly passed by, by just about everyone with a pulse that we have brought in.  I don't think he has really been bad, but he certainly hasn't been good either.  He is just kind of there most of the time.  

14 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I think it's the latter. I project neither to make the roster next year.

This is probably correct.  We get about a million in savings for cutting either of them.  So you cut both and that 2 million probably gets you Nixon.  I have been a Garvin guy since he was drafted, but I think you can find someone late in the draft or UDFA pile that does what he does for 400k vs his 1 million salary next season.  If we do retain Nixon, SJC is the 5th corner.  That said, would replacing him be a priority? I think I would rather just keep him and spend the 5th round pick for a CB on a swing at another position.  

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

This is probably correct.  We get about a million in savings for cutting either of them.  So you cut both and that 2 million probably gets you Nixon.  I have been a Garvin guy since he was drafted, but I think you can find someone late in the draft or UDFA pile that does what he does for 400k vs his 1 million salary next season.  If we do retain Nixon, SJC is the 5th corner.  That said, would replacing him be a priority? I think I would rather just keep him and spend the 5th round pick for a CB on a swing at another position.  

Less a priority to get rid of them, per se..I just think that next year they'll get bumped off the team by the end of training camp. 

1 minute ago, Sandy said:

Less a priority to get rid of them, per se..I just think that next year they'll get bumped off the team by the end of training camp. 

Those end of roster players like Garvin and SJC will need to win a spot against what is likely a mix of later draft picks/ UDFA type players.

Churn the bottom of the roster and look to upgrade/ push the competition 

Part of the reason Garvin is sticking is his age too.  He still is only going to be 24 next season, even thought it would be his 4th. But at some point, you have to **** or get off the pot.  If they take another edge in the same range as Enagbare, I would guess that he pushes Garvin off the roster.

SJC I think is pretty good but is buried at a pretty good position group the last couple of years.  If they find a player better than him, it is probably a very good pick-up.