Week 16 Gameday Thread (Christmas Day Edition) - Green Bay Packers (6-8-0) at Miami Dolphins (8-6-0)

Striker

55 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

What if we revisit the Lazard as a TE idea? 

I don't hate it, and I do hate all the players we have at TE outside of Lewis and maybe Davis on this team.  Realistically I don't see the coaching staff considering this though.

Depending on what Irv Smith and Foster Moreau get I think I'd rather that be the primary option to replace Tonyan who has been awful/never recovered from injury.

Deguara also needs to be replaced with a functional player, and his final year is next year so I think a draft pick is almost inevitable.  Seems like a great TE class too

Edited by skibrett15
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Lazard is a good player, just not that good of a receiver.  Doubs has more upside to me

I don't see the need to retain Lazard

Lazard does the dirty work for the WR equal to or better than M. Lewis does for the TE group. Not to mention he's one hell of a third option at TE. I definitely want him back, depending on the cost. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Think we'll see a lot of Jones and Dillon on Sunday.  Don't want to get into a shootout with Miami, our defense won't be able to handle it.  Lots of ball control, keep the Miami offense and our defense off the field.  

Depends on if Dillon is active I think.

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Lazard does the dirty work for the WR equal to or better than M. Lewis does for the TE group. Not to mention he's one hell of a third option at TE. I definitely want him back, depending on the cost. 

I was thinking about this offseason.  We are going to be up against it, again, but probably have some moves we can make.  If it came down to keeping Lazard or Nixon, which would you choose? I see plusses for both, and I don't really have an answer right now.  

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I was thinking about this offseason.  We are going to be up against it, again, but probably have some moves we can make.  If it came down to keeping Lazard or Nixon, which would you choose? I see plusses for both, and I don't really have an answer right now.  

I don't think Nixon has done enough to get much of a deal. Returners aren't exactly high on the food chain. He's a rotational guy as a DB. I'm thinking 3 million a year average for him is near the ceiling. Lazard gets 8-10 million. 

12 hours ago, Old Guy said:

What did anybody see on Monday giving them hope we could run the table and get in? 

On paper we have the toughest schedule of the remaining teams ahead of us. 

Honestly I'm not really bothered about the outcome either way.  Either way Santa gives us a gift.

We win ... well obviously I can't count my chickens before they hatch, but I feel like it'd be the final boost we need if we were going to get in.  I mean yeah we need help against Washington, Seattle, and possibly Detroit, but this just feels like it'd be "that game".  And if we did, we'd be the most unlikely team in Packer history to have done it.

If we lose, well that might be better.  At least then that final shoe would drop, we'd get a better position in the draft, and ... I won't hold my breath on it, but there's at least a chance Barry might get fired.  He definitely won't be if we make the playoffs, but if we miss them, the powers that be at least have to be talking about some changes, and he'd have to be one of them especially after this defense failed expectations big time this year.

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I would vote and hope for Nixon.  While I like what Lazard has done as a UDFA coming in here and helping out the offense a lot, I would disagree with Old Guy wanting to give him $8-10 million to keep because if we weren't willing to do that with MVS, I don't see why we would do that with Laz.

Nixon on the other hand gives us a big huge asset on returns which we have not had a consistent threat on in a long time.  He's not a great cover guy, but I see him as something like Will Blackmon 2.0, and we've just had too much of the Trevor Davis, Darrius Shepherd and Amari Rodgers types in here as of late that I say when you got a keeper as a returner, you definitely keep him.

5 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Lazard's a highly useful #3/Bis Slot WR for us once Watson and Doubbs are solidified above him on the depth chart. In fact he's properly rated in that role. Even so the short-term adrenal gland-junkie in me would take Nixon as long as his apparent return skills aren't a flash in the pan. A reasonably competent #4 CB who can return kicks and play gunner on coverage units? A defensive Josh Cribbs, in other words? I'd take a gamble on that even before considering he might be allowed to dabble on offense.