Week 16: Texans @ Titans :: "Twas the night before Christmas"

VY-FTW

2 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Obviously watched the game and it is hard to evaluate Malik. The OL is abysmal, especially the turnstile at LT. How he remains on the field is beyond me. Chig and Burks are nice pieces but that’s an unserious receiving core. Before the last drive, how many passes went beyond 10 yards? Feels like your offense plays in a box. 

Agreed 100%

congrats on winning the division this year, OG

Malik Willis is not, and never will be, an NFL QB. Say what you want about the O line but they didn’t make him throw it right it the DB. Thankfully I spent the day with my family so didn’t watch live (first game I’ve missed in many years). Also, we are absolutely so anti clutch it is amazing. We need a defensive stop, we never get one. We need an offensive TD to win the game, well there’s not a chance in hell that’s happening either 😂

Just now, -Hope- said:

the irony here is just sublime.

Mm, yes, Malik looking the same every time he's went out to play is the same thing indeed.

That being said, as awful as Malik Willis is and as little faith as I have in him, I'm not going to really complain about him getting another shot next year on the roster. Would rather it not be as starter, but alas, only so many options I guess.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

Mm, yes, Malik looking the same every time he's went out to play is the same thing indeed.

That being said, as awful as Malik Willis is and as little faith as I have in him, I'm not going to really complain about him getting another shot next year on the roster. Would rather it not be as starter, but alas, only so many options I guess.

it's not the same thing. you're calling for pulling the plug on a player after three games while calling other fans reactionary for wanting downing out and doubting mike vrabel will fire him after nearly 2 full seasons of hideously bad offensive playcalling lmao. it's hilarious on its face.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Literally set like every franchise offensive record(one of the most efficient offenses in recent NFL history) under same head coach

"We're staring at another Mularkey/Robiskie situation"

Sometimes I wonder about this fan base's ability to see anything other than what has happened on this current day.

How bad should we let the offense get before we force Vrabel to fire Downing? Is this not bad enough yet?

Just now, -Hope- said:

it's not the same thing. you're calling for pulling the plug on a player after three games while calling other fans reactionary for wanting downing out and doubting mike vrabel will fire him after nearly 2 full seasons of hideously bad offensive playcalling lmao. it's hilarious on its face.

I'm not calling anyone reactionary for wanting Downing out.

I'm calling people reactionary for assuming Vrabel is Mularkey 2.0 and has no idea how to field a competent offense when we're not that far removed from one of the best offenses in recent NFL memory.

Downing's first year he got slammed with an absurd number of injuries and we still put a middle of the road offense on the field. He wasn't gonna get fired after that.

Slammed with injuries again this year of course but the performance has fallen off a gigantic cliff on top of it.

Vrabel has given no reason to believe this is the "offense he wants". Downing as provided him terrible results and now he is presented with the chance to make changes.

If he doesn't, then the criticism is fair. But this weird alternate universe story line where we've been stuck as the worst offense in football during Vrabel's tenure makes no sense.

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

How bad should we let the offense get before we force Vrabel to fire Downing? Is this not bad enough yet?

Downing should be fired this off season, yes.

It's not the off season yet. I dunno if you were hoping for a mid season firing making some gigantic impact but I'm not sure I can recall a single team where that's happened. Perhaps it has and I'm just blanking on it.

That being said, firing Downing and throwing Kelly at this offense starting a bunch of practice squadders probably wouldn't be the fairest thing to him.

My assumption is Downing is fired or demoted after this year(fired almost certainly but I guess there's a chance he'd be ok with going back to coaching TEs?) and Tim Kelly, who Vrabel wanted as OC after Art left anyway, is OC next year.

12 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Literally set like every franchise offensive record(one of the most efficient offenses in recent NFL history) under same head coach

"We're staring at another Mularkey/Robiskie situation"

Sometimes I wonder about this fan base's ability to see anything other than what has happened on this current day.

Right like guys half the team is hurt and we dont have depth this year... THATS IT. Todd isnt very good lowkey but its hard to match getting two OCs HC jobs back to back years like Mike is doing the best he can imo

was damn COTY last year haha but yeee Mularkey type stuff huh crazy right smh

4 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I'm not calling anyone reactionary for wanting Downing out.

I'm calling people reactionary for assuming Vrabel is Mularkey 2.0 and has no idea how to field a competent offense when we're not that far removed from one of the best offenses in recent NFL memory.

Downing's first year he got slammed with an absurd number of injuries and we still put a middle of the road offense on the field. He wasn't gonna get fired after that.

Slammed with injuries again this year of course but the performance has fallen off a gigantic cliff on top of it.

Vrabel has given no reason to believe this is the "offense he wants". Downing as provided him terrible results and now he is presented with the chance to make changes.

If he doesn't, then the criticism is fair. But this weird alternate universe story line where we've been stuck as the worst offense in football during Vrabel's tenure makes no sense.

yeah, except he obviously should have been and most people were loud about it at the time. it's entirely fair to wonder about vrabel's offensive approach and about what direction we might go in the future given that he made a clearly awful hire and then doubled down on it for a year. couple that with our inability to pass the ball competently against good teams under *any* offensive coordinator we've had here and us having similar weaknesses around getting playmakers the ball in the passing game under both OCs and yeah, i'd say it warrants plenty of concern.

• Like 1

To think Vrabel doesn't want this offense seems silly, he has hired 3 consecutive OC's to run it. We had a good/great year when Henry went crazy...but ended up losing in the same way we lose all games. Teams sell out to stop the run and we don't have a scheme/coach that will adjust. 

We literally have had on really good offensive season under Vrabel...and we went to the AFC Championship. That tells me that having a good offense is important. 

Vrabel has had all season to do something about the terrible performance, but his rigidity won't allow him to. I think it is possible we drop Downing in the offseason, but were aren't going to hire some up and comer...it will be internal, or like the OC for ATL. Vrab's is a defensive minded coach that clearly believes in shortening the game and limiting the possessions of the opposing team...that means run, run, and live with 3rd and 6+, 60% of the time.

WR Talent will help with the offense, but finding guys that are A+ talents, and A+ blockers is going to be difficult...and Vrab's ain't giving in on the blocking!!!