MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

5 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

Reporter

says the #NFL is considering calling the #Bills vs #Bengals a “no contest” and then determining seeding via a “random number generator”. Audio clip below.

Not sure how that would work but will post the audio link when back at a desktop. 

I have so many questions that I might as well just wait lol

8 minutes ago, Soggust said:

By this logic, wouldn't the Bills getting upset over a tie/loss make them horrible human beings too?

We all understand that Hamlin's health is serious and the highest priority, but being concerned about how the tragedy impacts your team doesn't make someone a terrible human being, right?

There is a difference between being selfish/looking out for oneself and being a horrible, needlessly callous human being. I understand that grieving people aren't empathetic, but there's nothing reasonable about expecting everyone else to hit the pause button indefinitely.

Is the DE who wants to play Week 18 so he can get that last sack for the incentive in his contract being a little bit selfish? Yes. Is he a bad person for wanting that incentive? Absolutely not.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Agreed, the league just needs to make a call and deal with a few pissed off teams.

I think that's the issue. Goodell and the NFL tries to do whatever it can to NOT piss off any of the owners teams.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Compare it to previous screw jobs in NFL history, whether it's the PI call on the NFCCCG for the Saints, the tuck rule for the Raiders, etc. etc.

There's nothing exceptional about a team getting moderately screwed once in a while.

Even a 2 year Covid protocol period with close contact situations. Teams playing without entire position groups due to contact tracing.

35 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Well why wouldn't they... its the perfect situation for all parties. Fans dont have to be subject to a game no one cares about. All of playoff teams minus Bills and Bengals will have a bye and can rest up before the playoffs. And Bills and Bengals can potentially compete for a 1 seed and earn a first round bye.

No, it's not. It's best for the top 2-3 teams in the AFC. I get why Bills fans expect the entire league to move everything around because they don't like the alternative, but I guarantee you, 30 other owners are talking to Goodell and are pushing for them to just cancel the game. 

19 minutes ago, Soggust said:

By this logic, wouldn't the Bills getting upset over a tie/loss make them horrible human beings too?

We all understand that Hamlin's health is serious and the highest priority, but being concerned about how the tragedy impacts your team doesn't make someone a terrible human being, right?

And i dont think the team would be upset because obviously the situation is above  football but at the same time i think everyone in the NFL would agree that they want everyone deserves a fair chance to earn their shot. And if moving a bye week is best then do it. Forcing a no contest shakes things up way more than just moving a bye week.

25 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

Reporter

says the #NFL is considering calling the #Bills vs #Bengals a “no contest” and then determining seeding via a “random number generator”. Audio clip below.

Not sure how that would work but will post the audio link when back at a desktop. 

Only way it won't matter is if the Bills win, Chiefs lose, and Ravens and Bengals Tie.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

They aren't going to change the schedule of 32 teams to accommodate 2. 

I keep seeing you and others say this. It’s not changing the schedule for 32 teams. You play week 18 and most teams are done and into the offseason. Then you finish the game the following week and the playoffs start the next. It’s just a pushback to get the playoffs right. It’s also just one of many things we’re all kicking around. 

Just now, Kmart128 said:

And i dont think the team would be upset because obviously the situation is above  football but at the same time i think everyone in the NFL would agree that they want everyone deserves a fair chance to earn their shot. And if moving a bye week is best then do it. Forcing a no contest shakes things up way more than just moving a bye week.

I actually agree tbh. Getting the game played somehow is best case scenario imo.

I wasn't trying to attack your position really. I'm just trying to set myself up later for when I have to make excuses for why the Chiefs have to keep the 1 seed lol.

It drives me crazy that some people’s biggest problem with giving playoff teams a week off to get all the seeding right is because they want a competitive advantage over a hurt opponent. I want the best product on the field and I want every team that fought all year long to have their chance to make the playoffs and/or be seeded were they belong. 

This one game has such a huge ripple affect that it’s only right to play the game. If it were two teams with zero ramification over anything then obviously there wouldn’t even be a debate over rescheduling it. 

The extra week affects every team. Therefore it gives no competitive advantage from one team to the next. It allows every team to heal up. It allows every team to gameplan some more. It also allows every team to have their shot at making the playoffs and being seeded where they belong. 

What is right is not always what is easy but in that scenario, nobody is a screwed over  or slighted. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Soggust said:

🍎 & 🍊 

1 minute ago, BillSabre said:

It drives me crazy that some people’s biggest problem with giving playoff teams a week off to get all the seeding right is because they want a competitive advantage over a hurt opponent. I want the best product on the field and I want every team that fought all year long to have their chance to make the playoffs and/or be seeded were they belong. 

Oh please, you want a scenario that benefits your seeding no matter the expense to other teams just like the people not wanting an extra week of rest. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

Reporter

I'm interested to hear this. Allbright is definitely plugged in with the Bills so I wonder if this was something he's heard from them.

I can also only hope the random number generator is actually just Goodell holding up fingers behind his back and asking Josh Allen and Joe Burrow to pick a number between 1-10.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

I keep seeing you and others say this. It’s not changing the schedule for 32 teams. You play week 18 and most teams are done and into the offseason. Then you finish the game the following week and the playoffs start the next. It’s just a pushback to get the playoffs right. It’s also just one of many things we’re all kicking around. 

Pushing back the playoffs is changing the schedule of other teams so that the Bills can try to improve their playoff seeding. Trying to frame it any other way is intentional obtuse.

• Like 1