MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

The only cool thing about the Chiefs getting the bye is that the Bills and Bengals would likely meet for a trip to the AFC Championship. Now the question is if Bengals lose this week and lose the coin toss, do the Ravens only get home field or are they the 6 seed, and the Bengals the 3 seed going forward or just that game?

If the decision is made not to count the game in the standings as a tie, then the AFC title game should be played in Cleveland, which would mean Allegiant Stadium becomes the last current NFL venue to host a postseason game when they get the Super Bowl in a few years (barring an unexpected division title by the Raiders).

4 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

We’ve basically been handed a loss.

The entire point of winning the division is to get a home playoff game, and we haven’t even secured that.

Beating Baltimore gives you the neutral AFC game if the Chiefs lose. I think that's it. Divisional Round would still be in Buffalo. Bengals did get screwed outside that one scenario.

13 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

We’ve basically been handed a loss.

The entire point of winning the division is to get a home playoff game, and we haven’t even secured that.

I mean, I would assume the conversation was had with both teams to play Tues/Wed and because that didn't happen I can only assume that was not well received.

The game didn't resume, why should either team benefit from the fact that the game was not played?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I thought both teams left the field in a mutual type decision?  Do you have other info that it was solely BUF that refused to play?

That is not what I meant, sorry it came across that way.  

I meant it was a Buffalo player that got injured (had cardiac arrest).  So, Buffalo was the reason for the game being suspended.

Something similar happened to the Michigan Wolverines earlier in the season.  The RB coach, Mike Hart, collapsed on the sideline, he was unconscious and having seizures, ambulance came to the sideline to provide immediate medical attention to stabilize him.  Michigan finished the game.

1 minute ago, coffeedrinker said:

That is not what I meant, sorry it came across that way.  

I meant it was a Buffalo player that got injured (had cardiac arrest).  So, Buffalo was the reason for the game being suspended.

Something similar happened to the Michigan Wolverines earlier in the season.  The RB coach, Mike Hart, collapsed on the sideline, he was unconscious and having seizures, ambulance came to the sideline to provide immediate medical attention to stabilize him.  Michigan finished the game.

I am not sure that because it was a Buffalo player that was involved in the situation it is solely on them to forfeit when both teams were mutually involved in going to the locker rooms.  

Not sure what the Michigan situation does.  unconscious and having seizures =/= needing CPR and defibrillation on the field

While the circumstances are different, this is not the first critical injury. Sixty years ago this summer, before most if not all the posters on this board were born, a rookie died from an injury in a preseason game in my hometown. His name was Stone Johnson, he was an Olympic sprinter and part of a great KC Chiefs draft class.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/08/29/nfl-player-death-anniversary-stone-johnson-len-dawson-chiefs/2735393/

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I am not sure that because it was a Buffalo player that was involved in the situation it is solely on them to forfeit when both teams were mutually involved in going to the locker rooms.  

Not sure what the Michigan situation does.  unconscious and having seizures =/= needing CPR and defibrillation on the field

I am trying to find it, I thought they said during the game that they administered CPR.  But even if not, both instances involved a life/death situation on the field.  Different causes but the end result could have been the same in both cases.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I mean, I would assume the conversation was had with both teams to play Tues/Wed and because that didn't happen I can only assume that was not well received.

The game didn't resume, why should either team benefit from the fact that the game was not played?

The Ravens get a potential coin toss to determine home field versus the Bengals in case we would have lost week 17, but the Bengals don’t get a coin toss/neutral field versus the Bills (divisional round) if we would have won?

But more importantly, why are we changing the rule book on the fly here? The rulebook dictates that in the event of a cancelled game, the league will differ to win % to determine playoff seeding outcomes. If the NFL and owners want to vote on change, save it for the offseason.

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

The Ravens get a potential coin toss to determine home field versus the Bengals in case we would have lost week 17, but the Bengals don’t get a coin toss/neutral field versus the Bills (divisional round) if we would have won?

The reason it’s like that is because we played the same amount of games. In the position of the coin flip, Baltimore would’ve beat you twice but had a worse win percentage because of playing one more game.  In that scenario, the Bills would have a better record and same number of games played. That’s why it wouldn’t be a coin toss. 

18 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

But more importantly, why are we changing the rule book on the fly here? The rulebook dictates that in the event of a cancelled game, the league will differ to win % to determine playoff seeding outcomes. If the NFL and owners want to vote on change, save it for the offseason.

Isn’t that what they are doing?