Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

No matter who the future HC is, the most important thing will be to make the offense dynamic and fix the offensive line. If this is not done we will have the same problem as with Hackett or Fangio or VJ.....once the players are in place ..... adapted the playcalling.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Are we going to lose out on Ryans to the Texans?

One of the big betting sites took down the HOU HC and DeMeco lines on Tuesday, and everyone was pretty sure that meant he was in the bag for Houston. But it wasn’t long after that when the Denver-Ryans stuff started to smoulder again, so who knows.

40 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

Really starting to get Ben Albright vibes from Jeff Duncan, between the hunting trip rumor and now this…

it feels like he’s tweeting anything to stay relevant and feed the intrigue while not actually taking accountability when he tweet false info 

• Like 2

Count me sceptical. We’ve had 3 first time HCs in a row and they’ve lasted a combined six years and frankly, the first two ought to have been fired a year before they actually were. We’ve tried the young DC first time head coach. Failed miserably. We’ve tried the old DC first time head coach. Failed miserably. We’ve tried the young OC first time head coach. Failed miserably twice with McDaniels and Hackett. I like Ryans and think he will do a good job, but not sure he’s the right guy for this particular team. 

55 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Really starting to get Ben Albright vibes from Jeff Duncan, between the hunting trip rumor and now this…

it feels like he’s tweeting anything to stay relevant and feed the intrigue while not actually taking accountability when he tweet false info 

Big Anthony Jeselnik ‘Don’t forget about me today’ vibes. 

• Like 1

Yesterday on The Fan, Orlando Franklin, who was a coaching intern for the Niners last season, outlined how much of a extremely professional, serious, football-first, football-only, type of ship Kyle runs out there. 

The Walmarts are the very definition of the white collar, boardroom, corporate professional types, maybe only the Giants ownership rivals the Walmarts in that respect. Thus it’s easy to see why there is an appeal to them from Ryans, who, despite being young, is by all accounts I’ve read very much that adult in the room type of coach and has grown up as a coach on Kyle’s staff. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

It’s no secret I prefer 2nd time head coaches. My hope is still that we hire Dan Quinn. But if we’re going to go 1st time I do love Ryans. He will struggle some his first year. We just have to accept that. All new HCs do (even the successful ones like Daboll) 

But he just feels different from our last 3. The job isn’t too big for him like it was for VJ and Hackett. He doesn’t seem to get tunnel vision the way Vic did. He’s been successful running his side of the ball (again, unlike VJ or Hackett) most importantly, he brings a professionalism and understanding that it’s about building a culture (the only thing Hackett had going for him and why I was optimistic last year after the hire. Unfortunately he lacked everything else).

• Like 1

I have to agree with what Josh is saying (sans the Quinn point) that Ryans, while a rookie, would be different than Hackett, Vance or Vic. 

While it’s true for every McVay there are 10 Hacketts, the fact that Ryans played, and played at a high level and has risen quickly and comes from an elite staff with a track record is all positive in my mind. He has the right connections to make good coordinator hires - and we have to assume that both George and the Walmarts will heavily factor that in when making the decision. I see more of a McVay or a KOC or a Daboll or even a Kyle with Ryans than I see another VJ or Hackett. Maybe it’s just a gut instinct but there’s more depth there. 

The question is, would Ryans prefer us or Houston, for whom he played? Houston has the picks and the soft division, but they gave a crazy owner and Patriot Way GM. We have a better owner (or so we hope) and better GM but a brutal division, a QB who needs rehabilitation and more limited draft capital. 

The Walmarts could end up humiliated - Harbaugh stays at Michigan, Payton flames out and throws the owners under the bus, Ryans opts for Houston and we end up with Quinn. While some might like that hire and the media play along and spin it right, the truth is he could have been #4 of 8, or 9 if you count Rossburg. Terrible look for a new ownership group. 

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I mean other than Klis you can’t get a better source beat-wise.  

The fact we haven’t booked 2nd interviews is pretty telling.   Quinn, Shaw, Payton, Evero or Caldwell are available to interview any time.    Front runner has to be Ryans.  

If they were in love with any of the ones they interviewed, sans Harbaugh, they’d have hired him already. The fact that they’re waiting for the NFCCG is telling.

They could have hired Shaw, they could have hired Quinn, they could have hired Morris. But they’re waiting and that means they are likely to put on a full court press for Ryans. And I love that. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1