He so bad.....he Savage! When a safety misses a tackle, now you must say that he was Savaged.

vegas492

So, we traded pick #30 and 2 fourth round picks to move up to pick 21 to take a dude named Darnell Savage Jr. in the 2019 draft.

If ever there was a name that was born to play defense, it was this guy.

Unfortunately, he can't football.  I mean it, it's ugly.  Whether it's dropped INT's, blown coverages or missed tackles, the kid has the whole package.  Sometimes on the same play.

If we thought that end of his GB tenure Clinton-Dix was bad, then we may need to re-define what bad really is.

Because it is.....drum roll please.  Savage.

To compound our mistake of trading up for a kid who's only saving grace in the drat was his combine tests, we also decided to pick up his 5'th year option.  Ridiculous.  It is the equivalent of stepping in dog poop, then using your bare hands to scrape it off of your shoe.

Dude is so bad that we played a guy named Rudy Ford over him.  Rudy Ford.  Who looked much better than Savage ever did over the course of a few games.  

Cuz right now, he's a bum.  Bad pick, horrible 5'th year option and I'll bet he hates puppies and kittens.  Probably wouldn't even try a slice of @Norm 's mom's meatloaf.  He's the kind of guy that wouldn't sleep on the couch in @CWood21 's basement.   The kind of guy that would probably break into @Packerraymond 's house and leave an upper decker for him.

Let it fly.  Let's pile on this dude.  Salvage Savage.  It is what is needed.  

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 2

I’m convinced he would have been an elite nickel corner if he had started his career there and had a better defensive coordinator.

Barry ruined him. Literally as simple as that.

He had 2 forced fumbles as a rookie with two interceptions. Had 4 interceptions and a sack in his second year to go with 12 passes defended.

He was fully primed to take off in his third year, and instead turned into a meek turtle.

17 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I’m convinced he would have been an elite nickel corner if he had started his career there and had a better defensive coordinator.

Barry ruined him. Literally as simple as that.

He had 2 forced fumbles as a rookie with two interceptions. Had 4 interceptions and a sack in his second year to go with 12 passes defended.

He was fully primed to take off in his third year, and instead turned into a meek turtle.

Not that you need your ego massaged, but.....

When I reviewed his pre-draft write ups, it was stated multiple times that his best position may be slot corner.

Small for a safety.  Not much of a hitter.  But, fast, intelligent and possessed coverage skills.

But hold on! Savage replaced broken down Ford on Sunday and played well. Or did he replace Nixon who was forced out? PFF had him as Packers 4th best defender on Sunday. It was like a Christmas miracle! Was this a Savage attempt to get us to get or hopes up? Or is he like Rocky or something?

6 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

But hold on! Savage replaced broken down Ford on Sunday and played well. Or did he replace Nixon who was forced out? PFF had him as Packers 4th best defender on Sunday. It was like a Christmas miracle! Was this a Savage attempt to get us to get or hopes up? Or is he like Rocky or something?

Best Overwhelming Happiness GIFs | Gfycat

Savage is going to get another year, unless we dump his contract on a team for a conditional pick or something. Don't see why we would. 

He's absolutely worth giving one more year to, his 2020 tape was starting to get Nick Collins-esque. I'm not sure what happened but he certainly caught the yips this year. Could be contract related, not wanting to get injured with his deal running out. Either way, next year will be his make or break year. He still has the skillset to be a top FS in this league. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Savage is going to get another year, unless we dump his contract on a team for a conditional pick or something. Don't see why we would. 

He's absolutely worth giving one more year to, his 2020 tape was starting to get Nick Collins-esque. I'm not sure what happened but he certainly caught the yips this year. Could be contract related, not wanting to get injured with his deal running out. Either way, next year will be his make or break year. He still has the skillset to be a top FS in this league. 

I'd take average starting safety, if I'm being honest.  Someone reliable that can actually make a tackle.

And even if he does turn it around, it was a bad trade, a bad pick and an even worse gaffe in picking up his 5'th year option.

He's a bum.  

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'd take average starting safety, if I'm being honest.  Someone reliable that can actually make a tackle.

And even if he does turn it around, it was a bad trade, a bad pick and an even worse gaffe in picking up his 5'th year option.

He's a bum.  

Not going to argue.  He was flat out terrible this year.  I was screaming for them to bench him.  One thing he does have is speed.  He can cover if he doesn't blow his assignment.  Football is a contact sport guess he didn't get the memo.  Just hope he wakes up after getting benched and actually gets his head in the game.  We need him now.  

High hopes for the kid, but he's turned into Clinton-Dix. A no tackling *****, who makes far too many business decisions. I don't hold out hope those type of players turn it around. That is a character issue, not a talent issue. 

Maybe we can sucker somebody into giving us a 6th or 7th round pick to take on his 5th year option this off season. 

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

High hopes for the kid, but he's turned into Clinton-Dix. A no tackling *****, who makes far too many business decisions. I don't hold out hope those type of players turn it around. That is a character issue, not a talent issue. 

Maybe we can sucker somebody into giving us a 6th or 7th round pick to take on his 5th year option this off season. 

What idiotic team would pick up his 5'th year option????????

Oh.  Wait....