2022 GDT 7-8 Steelers visit 10-5 Ravens

Steeler Hitman

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

That last play was the ultimate culmination of a Kenny rollercoaster. Drifted for no reason, left a clean pocket for no reason, shook a defender, and threw an absolute dart. 

As much as I would just love for him to stay in a clean pocket and hit Pickens on the slant for the TD…whatever. You beat the Ravens you do whatever the hell you want. 

Kenny took the low snap from the right hash, he drifted about a half yard left of that hash line as he set up. As soon as he set up the edge rusher was about 3 inches from grabbing his jersey which he ultimately did touch his jersey before the clock even moved 2 seconds. Sure he could've stepped up and in but the other edge rusher was also closing. Im not sure if his natural tendency is to drift left that half step but the pressure was right in his face almost immediately. I hardly see anything wrong with what he did on this play as far as responding to the pressure, he's shown he is not averse to climbing the pocket to make throws. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Kenny took the low snap from the right hash, he drifted about a half yard left of that hash line as he set up. As soon as he set up the edge rusher was about 3 inches from grabbing his jersey which he ultimately did touch his jersey before the clock even moved 2 seconds. Sure he could've stepped up and in but the other edge rusher was also closing. Im not sure if his natural tendency is to drift left that half step but the pressure was right in his face almost immediately. I hardly see anything wrong with what he did on this play as far as responding to the pressure, he's shown he is not averse to climbing the pocket to make throws. 

I also think last night was one of Chuk’s worst games yet. Both Houston and Oweh were beating him on everything. Power, speed, finesse. They had his number. The other interesting part is BMore always brought pressure from his side too. We kept setting up help for Moore and Kenny’s blindside. So kudos to them for testing the other side, but holy hell how do you not see that as the OC.

It’s stuff like that which frustrates me. because it doesn’t help your QB. It continually puts him in a place to get hit because the play is built so he can’t move someone over there. IMO Harris and Warren both showed great instincts to stay in or go out against the call based on when Kenny needed it. A few late plays (like the TD) didn’t really have a hot call. 

Seeing the way SF, ATL, heck even Bal help their QBs with play calling I felt bad for Kenny. He wasn’t getting play calling that made sense. He wasn’t getting proper protections in the right moments. I’m excited to see Kenny with an OC who knows how to protect him and how to progress with a young QB. 

• Like 1

we really have a legit shot to make the playoffs

need jets to beat Miami, who might be playing a 3rd string QB

need bills to beat NE. they've had their number and are still playing for the 1 seed

and we need to beat cle, who have not looked all that great with watson back.

Edited by August4th

57 minutes ago, August4th said:

we really have a legit shot to make the playoffs

need jets to beat Miami, who might be playing a 3rd string QB

need bills to beat NE. they've had their number and are still playing for the 1 seed

and we need to beat cle, who have not looked all that great with watson back.

Definitely need the bills to win tonight. It puts pressure on kc to win on Saturday and keeps the pressure for the bills to win against the pats for that top seed

6 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Definitely need the bills to win tonight. It puts pressure on kc to win on Saturday and keeps the pressure for the bills to win against the pats for that top seed

Got to imagine if the Bills win, the Bills/Pats, Chiefs, Dolphins/Jets, and our game happen all at the same time. 

5 Ups

1. The rushing attack from the OL was dominant.  The commitment to run and the attitude of the OL is what I have been hoping the Steelers would get back to doing. It is not pretty or sexy football, but it is what this team's identity can be going forward with a few additions in the offseason. 

2. Coaching adjustment to play the battle of attrition on defense. After the Ravens carved up the Steelers with 215 yards on the ground, the Steelers held a powerful, dominant rushing attack to almost 100 less than the last meeting. They played within themselves and the defense got the big sack and then turnover when it needed them to position themselves to win and secure the win. 

3. TJ Watt getting healthier. Watt is no where near 100% of what he was before the pec injury yet, but he is rounding into better game shape and health.  His presence is beginning to be more felt by opponents each week. Looking for a possible comeback player f he year in 2023 and another NFL DPOY award (if that's okay with Minkah)😜

4. The Young Guns (Pickett, Pickens, Najee, Jaylen, and Pat) all played solid games. There is a very good nucleus of young offensive skill talent for the Steelers to build upon. They may not ooze sexy, but they are looking pretty solid. Continue to build on some weak areas and this team can take a jump next year. 

5. Character - - This team showed  a lot of character and heart the past two weeks. For as frustrating as this team can be at times with shooting themselves in the leg with penalties, turnovers, and poor execution, they showed a lot of heart willing themselves to wins the previous two weeks. 

5 Downs

1. The Boz doesn't seem to be himself 100%. Boz won't complain, but he seems to be still hurting a bit. His accuracy and precision isn't what it is typically. I believe it is probably health more than anything else.  He has missed some FG's the past few games that he typically makes. Something to keep an eye on going forward.

2. Red Zone Offense - -The team has done much better with the 1-2-3 offense, but has also not developed the kill shot instincts/attitude of when they get close, you can't stop them. 

3. Coverage Teams - - This may be more mental mistake than actual poor coverage, but in a game where you have a QB who is not going to beat you having to throw 40 times, you have to give them a long field. The Steelers seem to love to do things the hard way. 

4. Penalties - - I am not including the BS personal foul penalty on Cam that cost the Steelers 4 points, but their offense is typically not good enough to play behind the sticks (chains/down in distance). The holding penalties on punt returns and Simms is fair catching is ridiculous. 

5. Pass Protection - - Chuks was getting served by Urban and Houston. Probably one of his worst games of the year. The good thing is that he kept fighting especially in the run game. 

6. Devin Bush - - I was really hoping to see more from him 2022.  I don't think he is on the roster in 2023. Can you say Tremaine Edmunds?!

Regardless of what happens next  week (as far as play-offs) are concerned, I think that that the Steelers are building from some of these late wins for the future. They are not a legit play-off contender, but they seem to be putting together some building blocks late in the 2022 season for the 2023 season and beyond. 

• Like 3

SH

your 5 up 5 down sums it up as of late.  Making strides, lets see how this continues.  Boz having a bad season, lets see if he rebounds.  Making the playoffs is one thing, missing a FG or pAT and costing a playoff game would be a bad way to go. 

6 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I think that that the Steelers are building from some of these late wins for the future. They are not a legit play-off contender, but they seem to be putting together some building blocks late in the 2022 season for the 2023 season and beyond. 

they have a good group of young players thats for sure. KP might be even better  if he started from day 1 and so would the Steelers record.  I am still not sure if a playoff run would help the team in the long haul  but that all depends on who is drafted anyways.  If they get a CB like Woolen in the later rounds, all is good anyways. 

It will be interesting to see if the 4DT front will be employed vs the Browns since they have a serious running game.  That was nice  work by Tomlin to try something new but it still had issues. A real NT like Hampton would be the first step to permanently addressing this issue, thats what they need (again).  They got away from the legit pro bowl NT and base 3-4     2 gap scheme in recent times , but it might be time to go back to that often enough to invest in a legit  NT either early in the draft and or UFA.

Lets see how the game is tonight. Oddly, KC aren't playing their best overall it seems , and the other top seeds play tonight. I expect solid play from Joe and the Bengals .  Allen is a bit of a risk taker,  but makes many of big plays so it should make for quite a game .  Chargers are trending up as are the Jags and it looks  as though the Steelers are as well😝 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

It will be interesting to see if the 4DT front will be employed vs the Browns since they have a serious running game.  That was nice  work by Tomlin to try something new but it still had issues. A real NT like Hampton would be the first step to permanently addressing this issue, thats what they need (again).  They got away from the legit pro bowl NT and base 3-4     2 gap scheme in recent times , but it might be time to go back to that often enough to invest in a legit  NT either early in the draft and or UFA.

Watson will carve them up if they play that defense vs the Browns.

• Like 1