Week 17 other games

vike daddy

The heart is a confusing, complex muscle. Its job is to pump oxygenated blood to the entire body, most importantly the brain and major organs. The heart also pumps deoxygenated blood to the lungs. The alveoli are where the lungs and the blood exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide during the process of breathing in and breathing out.

I should have left my post about the difference between a heart attack (blockage of coronary arteries, a circulatory issue) and sudden cardiac arrest (an electrical issue). I was primarily responding to @SemperFeists article he presented. 

Yes, ventricular fibrillation (vfib) can and will lead to sudden cardiac arrest. In fact, vfib is leading cause for cardiac arrest. 

Ventricular fibrillation requires emergency medical treatment to prevent sudden cardiac death. The goal of emergency treatment is to restore blood flow as quickly as possible to prevent organ and brain damage.

Emergency treatment for ventricular fibrillation includes:

-CPR

-AED 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ventricular-fibrillation/diagnosis-treatment/syc-20364524

My wording above was confusing. Apologies. I do not have the full details of Hamlin’s situation, but I was curious about the necessity of Hamlin being resuscitated twice. This is where it gets confusing. If he was resuscitated  and returned to spontaneous circulation (ROSC), why the need to bring him back to ROSC a second time? Again, I do not have the full details, so I should not have speculated with the vfib comment. However, a person in sudden cardiac arrest can revert to vfib status.

Chest compressions cause recurrence of ventricular fibrillation after the first successful conversion by defibrillation in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20042768/

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully I made things clearer and not muddier. 

• Like 1

Assistant Trainer for the Bills, Denny Kellington, is being praised for his quick action in delivering CPR to Damar Hamlin, and calmly and.professionally organizing the response of other training staff and EMTs until Hamlin was aboard the ambulance and UC emergency room physicians took control of the medical response via radio.

It's inspiring when you see professionals saving a life.  Mr. Kellington and the Bills training staff in response deserve all the praise and accolades coming their way!!

• Like 4

The information about needing to be rescucitated a second time at the hospital came from Hamlin's uncle.  He could have been wrong, but that is where it came from as far as I know.  I haven't seen anything from the hospital confirming or denying that, but the hospital really shouldn't be able to say one way or another for HIPAA related reasons.

https://eu.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/2023/01/03/damar-hamlin-suffered-a-cardiac-arrest-after-tackle-what-we-know/69772406007/

I have no idea what caused Hamlin's cardiac arrest, but based on everything that I have seen commotio cordis can't be ruled out completely, but the chances of that being the cause are quite small. NFL players have been taking hits for years and it has never before happened.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

I have no idea what caused Hamlin's cardiac arrest, but based on everything that I have seen commotio cordis can't be ruled out completely, but the chances of that being the cause are quite small. NFL players have been taking hits for years and it has never before happened.

it's because the blunt force trauma has to occur within an extrememly tight time window, measured in miliseconds.