Week 17 other games

vike daddy

It looks unlikely that it was a heart rhythm thing as some speculated. What happened doesn't fit that possibility. Also, it is a broader issue than Damar Hamlin. Deaths like this have increased for an unknown reason -- not just the single case.

See this:

Dr. Drew & Dr. Joanna Aiken on Damar Hamlin's Commotio Cordis Diagnosis & Athlete Sudden Deaths

"In my experience [with Commotio Cordis] they are flaccid immediately...this was not that. This was stood up, walked, and then down! Just fell backwards."

https://rumble.com/v23s386-dr.-drew-and-dr.-joanna-aiken-on-damar-hamlins-commotio-cordis-diagnosis-an.html 

I wish it were a freak accident, but there are too many similar cases as mentioned in that video to brush it aside as a freak accident.  The league needs to be prepared to deal with these types of things as the prevalence has spiked. Until the cause of the spike is known all the league can do it be prepared to recognize and treat as quickly as possible.  I hope they'll take this as a warning to be prepared for that rather than see it as a freak accident.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

That's terrible what happened to Hamlin.  I have never heard of something like that in all of my years watchin the NFL.  Beyond football, it seems there are a lot more cardiac issues in young people nowadays.  I wonder what the cause is of the uptick in cardiac issues and young people dying unexpectedly as Hamlin would have if there were not highly trained medical people at the ready. 

You base this on what? Nothing. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

You base this on what? Nothing. 

It's pure speculation.  There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that cardiac issues are on the rise anywhere, outside of 1 year in 2020 (and we know why that occurred), otherwise, it had dropped by over 10% over the previous decade.  In Hamlin's particular case, it's far too early to know what or why it happened other than pure speculation, so it's irresponsible to come to any conclusion at this point.  Experts can certainly speculate, but then they should clarify that it is speculation and not factual.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's pure speculation.  There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that cardiac issues are on the rise anywhere, outside of 1 year in 2020 (and we know why that occurred), otherwise, it had dropped by over 10% over the previous decade.  In Hamlin's particular case, it's far too early to know what or why it happened other than pure speculation, so it's irresponsible to come to any conclusion at this point.  Experts can certainly speculate, but then they should clarify that it is speculation and not factual.  

It’s not speculation. 

“The study, which is the first to compare young (41-50 years old) to very young (40 or younger) heart attack survivors, found that among patients who suffer a heart attack at a young age overall, 1 in 5 is 40 or younger. Moreover, during the 16-year study period (2000 to 2016), the proportion of very young people having a heart attack has been increasing, rising by 2 percent each year for the last 10 years.”

https://www.acc.org/about-acc/press-releases/2019/03/07/08/45/heart-attacks-increasingly-common-in-young-adults

Edited by SemperFeist

Thank you for providing that, although I found others that state that deaths from heart disease are down.  Yes, and that even includes younger adults.  It shows that you can get differing information even from experts (the one I cited was from the American Heart Association), and it all depends upon the ranges you use and what you are specifically looking for.  So, there may be a rise in heart attacks, but that doesn't necessarily indicate anything specifically about heart disease in general or the deaths among those younger adults.  I could speculate on the reasoning simply for the increase in actual heart attacks, but that article seems to indicate that a lot of other lifestyle factors are at play (which certainly have changed in our lifetimes), which doesn't appear to be in Hamlin's case.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

Thank you for providing that, although I found others that state that deaths from heart disease are down.  Yes, and that even includes younger adults.  It shows that you can get differing information even from experts (the one I cited was from the American Heart Association), and it all depends upon the ranges you use and what you are specifically looking for.  So, there may be a rise in heart attacks, but that doesn't necessarily indicate anything specifically about heart disease in general or the deaths among those younger adults.  I could speculate on the reasoning simply for the increase in actual heart attacks, but that article seems to indicate that a lot of other lifestyle factors are at play (which certainly have changed in our lifetimes), which doesn't appear to be in Hamlin's case.  

I agree with this. Hamlin’s issue was cardiac arrest, an electrical issue with his heart, likely resulting in ventricular fibrillation. The article (which is good by the way), is more about heart attacks, a circulation issue due to a blockage in the coronary arteries and related comorbidities, e.g., Type 2 diabetes mellitus. ^This is just informational. My prayers and positive, healthy thoughts lie with Hamlin and his family. I hope he makes a full recovery and fulfills his dreams and aspirations. 

Edited by marshpit23
Wording
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

Hamlin’s issue was cardiac arrest, an electrical issue with his heart, likely resulting in ventricular fibrillation.

well, umm.. no.

he definitely had cardiac arrest which is the sudden STOPPING of all heart rhythm. that's it, no heart beat at all. obviously potentially, and quickly, fatal as all organs depend on blood flow.

ventricular fibrillation is a type of irregular heart rhythm, but it's still a rhythm.