BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

Seoul is done till FA;

I traded out a lot,   not super impressed with this draft class.   I knew I wanted Richardson and that I wanted to make sure the trenches on both sides were addressed.

QB Anthony Richardson -  I accept the risk.   I knew I wanted to select him the day he declared, just wasn't sure how high I would have to take him.  

LT Anton Harrison -  I have him right with Paris and Broderick.   Was likely going to take him at 19,  so moving back and getting him later was nice.    Needed some sort of back up plan for Ronnie Stanley.

RT Dawand Jones  -  Weight scares me,  but I ultimately like his skillset at RT.

Edge BJ Ojulari  -  One of my favorite pass rushers in this class,  love his potential.

C Joe Tippman -   Still needs work,  but he's got a lot of tools to keep improving.

G Cody Mauch  -  Not sure where he ultimately ends up along the OL, but he should be a good starter somewhere.

Edge Derick Hall -  Needs some work ID'ing presnap,   his burst is hit or miss.. but when he understands his assignment he can really get off.

Saf Jordan Battle -  Last safety I had graded as BDL draftable,   I like his overall skillset.

WR Tyler Scott -  Personal fave,   will give him some time to improve but he's a versatile skillset that can play Z/Y and make some plays in a gadget role.

T Jaelyn Duncan -  Upside pick,  with my 3rd tackle.  Still needs some work,  but he's got the tools to improve.

SCB Clark Phillips -  One of my favorite CB's to watch.   Size issues will always be there,  but I like his ability to play multiple coverages.. and just a solid football player.

WR Tank Dell   -    Probably my least favorite pick,   WR is a big need..  and hopefully he can at least become a gadget player in certain packages.  

CB Jaylon Jones -  Young 5 star that looked a lot better 2 years ago.    I like his temperament on the field,   and ultimately think he become a good starter.

CB Garrett Williams -   Similar to Phillips,  I just liked watching this guy play  and love his ability succeed in multiple coverages.   

• Like 8

Hungary Hippos Review

Will Anderson Jr. - Stud! @InjuredReserveand I debated for days after securing 1.3 whether we would go Anderson or Gonzo, but felt Anderson was who we needed more given the depth at CB

Calijah Kancey - RAS through the roof and an elite pass rusher. IR really loved my negotiation to get the pick and Kancey to boot.

Will Levis - After CJ and Yoing I had Levis as the better QB over Richardson. Him falling to the third was great.

Julius Brents - IR spotted this guy from a mile away. We were scouting CBs since the third. When Ringo and Forbes were chosen ahead it came down between a choice of Brents vs. Stevenson. Brents RAS won me over and I sided with IR haha

Quan Martin - I can honestly say this one was a last second I'm coming out of a baseball game let's do some research guy. This is where we started heavily digging into RAS and BB projection more. We had another guy tabbed for this pick, but decided to wait and after watching tape decided Martin among a number of other guys was the way to go.

Blake Freeland - We discussed trying to draft him at the same spot as Quan Martin. IR was a fan of him and his athleticism was elite, but we decided to wait... well I got impatient at work, made a trade for a pick and drafted him because I didn't want to leave him out there.

Bryce-Ford Wheaton - This pick was originally are target for Freeland, but with the earlier trade it was targeted for Kuntz. However, looking at BFWs RAS and his newr damn identical attributes as DK, we had to get the DK clone.

Zack Kuntz - He was my sleeper dark horse we first discussed at Quan Martin pick. I really liked him, IR thought we night get him in PFA. I really liked him... I made a trade right as the musical was starting just to secure another RAS stud. 

Edited by PR
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, PR said:

Hungary Hippos Review

Will Anderson Jr. - Stud! @InjuredReserveand I debated for days after securing 1.3 whether we would go Anderson or Gonzo, but felt Anderson was who we needed more given the depth at CB

Calijah Kancey - RAS through the roof and an elite pass rusher. IR really loved my negotiation to get the pick and Kancey to boot.

Will Levis - After CJ and Yoing I had Levis as the better QB over Richardson. Him falling to the third was great.

Julius Brents - IR spotted this guy from a mile away. We were scouting CBs since the third. When Ringo and Forbes were chosen ahead it came down between a choice of Brents vs. Stevenson. Brents RAS won me over and I sided with IR haha

Quan Martin - I can honestly say this one was a last second I'm coming out of a baseball game let's do some research guy. This is where we started heavily digging into RAS and BB projection more. We had another guy tabbed for this pick, but decided to wait and after watching tape decided Martin among a number of other guys was the way to go.

Blake Freeland - We discussed trying to draft him at the same spot as Quan Martin. IR was a fan of him and his athleticism was elite, but we decided to wait... well I got impatient at work, made a trade for a pick and drafted him because I didn't want to leave him out there.

Bryce-Ford Wheaton - This pick was originally are target for Freeland, but with the earlier trade it was targeted for Kuntz. However, looking at BFWs RAS and his newr damn identical attributes as DK, we had to get the DK clone.

Zack Kuntz - He was my sleeper dark horse we first discussed at Quan Martin pick. I really liked him, IR thought we night get him in PFA. I really liked him... I made a trade right as the musical was starting just to secure another RAS stud. 

It's funny. I think the only pick we didn't spend significant time considering the pros/cons on was Levis. We are like if he is there at 3rd round we have to. Funny in hindsight that it's one of the few spots where we showed pure patience.

@PRis spot on that the negotiating theoughout was a blast. I think in many of our cases choosing to surrender some picks next year was worth it for us considering how high we were on Kancey and then on guys like Freeland that kept falling and we really wanted. Love the let's just go up and get him mentality.

Pumped for Brents. Once we committed to Anderson over Gonzo, I believe I had my CB BB with 4 guys that would not make it to rd 3 (so off our table). Brents was my #1 CB after those 1st round locked in guys were gone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RedGold said:

Seoul is done till FA;

I traded out a lot,   not super impressed with this draft class.   I knew I wanted Richardson and that I wanted to make sure the trenches on both sides were addressed.

QB Anthony Richardson -  I accept the risk.   I knew I wanted to select him the day he declared, just wasn't sure how high I would have to take him.  

LT Anton Harrison -  I have him right with Paris and Broderick.   Was likely going to take him at 19,  so moving back and getting him later was nice.    Needed some sort of back up plan for Ronnie Stanley.

RT Dawand Jones  -  Weight scares me,  but I ultimately like his skillset at RT.

Edge BJ Ojulari  -  One of my favorite pass rushers in this class,  love his potential.

C Joe Tippman -   Still needs work,  but he's got a lot of tools to keep improving.

G Cody Mauch  -  Not sure where he ultimately ends up along the OL, but he should be a good starter somewhere.

Edge Derick Hall -  Needs some work ID'ing presnap,   his burst is hit or miss.. but when he understands his assignment he can really get off.

Saf Jordan Battle -  Last safety I had graded as BDL draftable,   I like his overall skillset.

WR Tyler Scott -  Personal fave,   will give him some time to improve but he's a versatile skillset that can play Z/Y and make some plays in a gadget role.

T Jaelyn Duncan -  Upside pick,  with my 3rd tackle.  Still needs some work,  but he's got the tools to improve.

SCB Clark Phillips -  One of my favorite CB's to watch.   Size issues will always be there,  but I like his ability to play multiple coverages.. and just a solid football player.

WR Tank Dell   -    Probably my least favorite pick,   WR is a big need..  and hopefully he can at least become a gadget player in certain packages.  

CB Jaylon Jones -  Young 5 star that looked a lot better 2 years ago.    I like his temperament on the field,   and ultimately think he become a good starter.

CB Garrett Williams -   Similar to Phillips,  I just liked watching this guy play  and love his ability succeed in multiple coverages.   

1. I didn't appreciate during the draft that you were quietly building an entire offensive line. 

2. Multiple times you grabbed my top OL guy on my BB. Cody Mauch in particular was #1 guy overall for me when you grabbed him. Plus really liked the value on Dawand Jones - I think he tends to go to low in mocks.

3. I'm going to be watching your CBs and how they develop bc you took the 2 guys that scare the **** out of me. Clark Phillips and Garrett Williams. I could see both those picks really panning out well for you, I just struggled to determine when you pull the trigger on them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

Like sewell, if he can improve in coverage. Can be really good.  Otherwise will be a good two down thumper

I love his floor as a 2 down Mike. I think he plays faster than he tested and has legit film. If he came out last year he would have been higher ranked.

Flashes of A.J. Hawk for me. While AJ never lived up to expectations, he had a nice career as a 2 down thumper, and unfortunately for him his first few years of having great athleticism faded with injuries.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PR said:

We contemplated taking him with each of our last three picks

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Also glad that @Ragnarok took Witherspoon the pick before us so that nobody had to witness the begging and pleading I’d have done with @Blue in discord

Unless Will Anderson or Christian Gonzalez made it to 13, there's no way I was passing on him.  I was actually worried y'all would jump me to 12 to grab him.

• Like 2