BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

Berlin landing spots

1.1 - C.J. Stroud - Texans - He's going to a team with a good OL and good run game.  He just has no one to throw to.  I hate their trade up for Anderson cause it took away so many assets they could have used to build around Stroud
1.13 - Devon Witherspoon - Seahawks - He will start from Day 1, Carroll knows DBs, and Spoon/Tariq will form an nasty tandem.
2.1 - Deonte Banks - Giants - He will start from Day 1 behind a very good front 7, Wink has developed some really good CBs, and Banks/Adoree should be a good tandem.
2.13 - Darnell Washington - Steelers - My surprise faller, I hate this landing spot.  Unless Freiemuth gets hurt, he likely won't get a ton of opportunities early on.
3.11 - Mazi Smith - Cowboys - He is going to get plenty of snaps early and often surrounded by a lot of front 7 talent.
5.1 - DJ Turner - Bengals - Love this fit as he gets to learn from Lou and has an easy path to starting in the nickel.
5.14 - Devon Achane - Dolphins - Another fit I really like.  He's behind two injury-prone RBs and fits what that offense wants.
6.6 - JL Skinner - Broncos - He went later than I had hoped, but other than Simmons, the Broncos don't have anyone set at S, so hopefully he gets a shot at playing time.
6.16 - Siaki Aki - Browns - They've had underwhelming DT play for years, including Togiai, so it's not like he has to play that well to get meaningful snaps early.
7.1 - Zach Harrison - Falcons - Bud Dupree and Lorenzo Carter are the starters there.  He should get reps early on.
7.8 - Kayshon Boutte - Pats - Love this fit.  Because he will either embrace the Patriot way and get to his potential or get cut in 5 games.  Win-win.

Overall, pretty happy with the landing spots as no one is too buried on a depth chart.  Darnell is probably my least favorite placement.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I honestly don't know what the plan is with him. He's a tweener and so far the Steelers have been intentionally vague about if they're going to use him at EDGE or on the DL. I think it's likely he's involved in the rotation at one of those positions but it's just very unclear what their plan is for him.

Go tell the Steelers I - 1.  Need a set plan for him and 2.  Need them to cut Freiemuth

kthxbai

14 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Berlin landing spots

1.1 - C.J. Stroud - Texans - He's going to a team with a good OL and good run game.  He just has no one to throw to.  I hate their trade up for Anderson cause it took away so many assets they could have used to build around Stroud
1.13 - Devon Witherspoon - Seahawks - He will start from Day 1, Carroll knows DBs, and Spoon/Tariq will form an nasty tandem.
2.1 - Deonte Banks - Giants - He will start from Day 1 behind a very good front 7, Wink has developed some really good CBs, and Banks/Adoree should be a good tandem.
2.13 - Darnell Washington - Steelers - My surprise faller, I hate this landing spot.  Unless Freiemuth gets hurt, he likely won't get a ton of opportunities early on.
3.11 - Mazi Smith - Cowboys - He is going to get plenty of snaps early and often surrounded by a lot of front 7 talent.
5.1 - DJ Turner - Bengals - Love this fit as he gets to learn from Lou and has an easy path to starting in the nickel.
5.14 - Devon Achane - Dolphins - Another fit I really like.  He's behind two injury-prone RBs and fits what that offense wants.
6.6 - JL Skinner - Broncos - He went later than I had hoped, but other than Simmons, the Broncos don't have anyone set at S, so hopefully he gets a shot at playing time.
6.16 - Siaki Aki - Browns - They've had underwhelming DT play for years, including Togiai, so it's not like he has to play that well to get meaningful snaps early.
7.1 - Zach Harrison - Falcons - Bud Dupree and Lorenzo Carter are the starters there.  He should get reps early on.
7.8 - Kayshon Boutte - Pats - Love this fit.  Because he will either embrace the Patriot way and get to his potential or get cut in 5 games.  Win-win.

Overall, pretty happy with the landing spots as no one is too buried on a depth chart.  Darnell is probably my least favorite placement.

Sterns is about the ball out and Skinner would be more of a Dime backer

Full fits…

1.5- Christian Gonzalez CB NE

Should be inline to play early as he has the matchup size the other NE corners lack. Good fit with Belly’s defense.

1.6- Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR SEA

Not the best fit but not the worst. Instant slot with chance to be Lockett’s heir apparent. A lot depends on Geno replicating last season for year 1 impact.

3.16- Josh Downs WR IND

Was coveted by the Colts and Reggie Wayne all along. Isaiah McKenzie stands in his way in the slot but he gives a nice variance to their receiving corps and I like him as a slot option for us in 3/4 Wide. 

5.10- Tyjae Spears RB TEN

Won’t get a lot of run this year but maybe the successor to Henry which he was drafted more for the future anyway. However the issue is how long does he last with the knee problems. I knew there was a past ACL tear but If I had that full medical report before our draft (missing ACL and cartilage, arthritis in the knee) I don’t take him here. Hopefully he can stay healthy though. Honestly not expecting much from this pick.

6.9- Roschon Johnson RB CHI

An okay fit. Likely a chance to contribute on third downs right away and be a committee back. Will be a locker room leader from day one. Brings some power between the tackles to the Bears and Trappers alike.

6.12- Kendre Miller RB NO

Happy that Miller went as high as he did.  Love his skill set and likely will be a future contributor. Would have liked one of our backs to go to LAC but they didn’t draft a RB which could speak well to a bigger role for my pick from last year. At this point I’m hoping at least one of these three backs is the main guy for his team next season.

7.12- AT Perry WR NO

He went much later than I anticipated but magic pick number 195. Should win the 4th WR job in TC. Has a chip on his shoulder and excited for the opportunity to watch two rookies in the Saints offense.

• Like 2

2023 BFL Draft +/-

As always, this is only a fun exercise and has no bearing on the quality of your draft class or how they will turn out.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gsAV21PuVT-p5Yp_XQw2kxDg9WlyaqI5TEsRVwOcigY/edit?usp=sharing

Biggest + Players
1. Will McDonald IV, EDGE, Iowa State - Ivory Coast Black Rhinos (+46)
2. Quan Martin, S, Illinois - Hungary Hippos (+36)
3. Brenton Strange, TE, Penn State - Ivory Coast Black Rhinos (+32)
4. Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State - Greenland Polar Bears (+29)
5. Garrett Williams, CB, Syracuse - Seoul Dragons (+27)
6t. Gervon Dexter Sr., INT, Florida - Greenland Polar Bears (+26)
6t. Zacch Pickens, INT, South Carolina - Lancaster Werewolves (+26)
6t. Tyler Steen, OT, Alabama - Camden Hood Rats (+26)
9. Derick Hall, EDGE, Auburn - Seoul Dragons (+23)
10t. Luke Musgrave, TE, Oregon State - Rome Eternals (+22)
10t. Zach Harrison, EDGE, Ohio State - Berlin Blitzkrieg (+22)

Biggest - Players
1. Bryce Ford-Wheaton, WR, West Virginia - Hungary Hippos (-158)
2. Andre Carter II, EDGE, Army - Rome Eternals (-153)
3. Andrew Vorhees, OG, USC - Singapore Sentinels (-141)
4. Luke Wypler, C, Ohio State - Rome Eternals (-137)
5. Jaylon Jones, CB, Texas A&M - Seoul Dragons (-134)
6. Zack Kuntz, TE, Old Dominion - Hungary Hippos (-114)
7. Zach Evans, RB, Ole Miss - Camden Hood Rats (-112)
8. Antonio Johnson, S, Texas A&M - Gotham Gashslayers (-106)
9. Jaelyn Duncan, OT, Maryland - Seoul Dragons (-105)
10. JL Skinner, S, Boise State - Berlin Blitzkrieg (-97)

Team Total +/-
1. New Orleans Jazz (+28)
2. Greenland Polar Bears (+7)
3. Raleigh Firebirds (-46)
4. Ivory Coast Black Rhinos (-84)
5. Lancaster Werewolves (-92)
6. Cancun Kaiju (-142)
7. Anchorage Trappers (-157)
8. Camden Hood Rats (-165)
9. Singapore Sentinels (-174)
10. Cuba Smugglers (-180)
11. Berlin Blitzkrieg (-208)
12. Gotham Gashslayers (-220)
13. Hungary Hippos (-239)
14. Rome Eternals (-291)
14. Seoul Dragons (-376)

Team Average +/-
1. New Orleans Jazz (+7)
2. Greenland Polar Bears (+1.1667)
3. Lancaster Werewolves (-8.3636)
4. Raleigh Firebirds (-9.2)
5. Ivory Coast Black Rhinos (-14)
6. Berlin Blitzkrieg (-18.9091)
7. Anchorage Trappers (-22.4286)
8. Cuba Smugglers (-22.5)
9. Cancun Kaiju (-23.6667)
10. Gotham Gashslayers (-24.4444)
11. Seoul Dragons (-26.8571)
12. Singapore Sentinels (-29)
13. Hungary Hippos (-29.875)
14. Rome Eternals (-36.275)
15. Camden Hood Rats (-55)

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Best of the negative! Lol

Not by average though 😎

7 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Was definitely hoping that post would be conveniently forgotten this year 

If you look at the average +/-, you're not looking too bad. Right in range with a bunch of other guys in the early-mid -20s

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I think this was the worst year collectively.

Seems like it. I'll probably look at that over the summer, comparing +/- year by year. I feel like we usually have more people under -100

• Like 1