BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

2023 BDL Awards

Best Executive
1. Ragnarok, Berlin Blitzkrieg (16)
2. WFLukic, New Orleans Jazz (14)
3. SirA, Singapore Sentinels (7)
Others receiving votes: Rackcs/MikeT14 (6), Scoundrel (5), TedLavie (5), PR/InjuredReserve (3), Jlash (1)

Best Coach
1. Blue/Mwil23, Cancun Kaiju (14)
2. Ragnarok, Berlin Blitzkrieg (12)
3. Rackcs/MikeT14, Lancaster Werewolves (9)
Others receiving votes: Scoundrel (8), RuskieTitan (5), TedLavie (5), SirA (3), bcb1213 (1)

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, rackcs said:

2023 BDL Awards

Comeback POTY
1t. Breece Hall, RB, Anchorage Trappers (7)
1t. Baker Mayfield, QB, Camden Hood Rats (7)
1t. Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Greenland Polar Bears/Camden Hood Rats (7)
Others receiving votes: TJ Watt (5), Jessie Bates (4), Russell Wilson (4), Khalil Mack (3), Joe Flacco (2), Stephon Gilmore (2), Matthew Stafford (2), Courtland Sutton (1), D'Andre Swift (1)

Breakout POTY
1. DaRon Bland, CB, Rome Eternals (15)
2. Justin Madubuike, INT, Lancaster Werewolves (10)
3. Nico Collins, WR, Camden Hood Rats (9)
Others receiving votes: James Cook (7), Brandon Aiyuk (5), L'Jarius Sneed (4), Paulson Adebo (4), Kayvon Thibodeaux (3), Josh Allen, EDGE (1), Sam Howell (1), Jordan Love (1)

Surprised Sneed, Allen or Ayiuk got votes for Breakout player of the year 

But then again I voted for Bates as CPOY so what do I know 

2023 BDL Awards

Offensive Rookie of the Year
1. CJ Stroud, QB, Berlin Blitzkrieg (32)
2. Sam LaPorta, TE, Singapore Sentinels (13)
3. Puka Nacua, WR, Cuba Smugglers (9)
Others receiving votes: Jahmyr Gibbs (5), Zay Flowers (1), Broderick Jones (1), Bijan Robinson (1)

Defensive Rookie of the Year
1. Jalen Carter, INT, Raleigh Firebirds (20)
2. Devon Witherspoon, CB, Berlin Blitzkrieg (19)
3. Will Anderson Jr., EDGE, Hungary Hippos (14)
Others receiving votes: Brian Branch (7), Ivan Pace Jr. (1), Tyrique Stevenson (1)

• Like 2

2023 BDL Awards

Offensive Player of the Year
1. Christian McCaffrey, RB, Raleigh Firebirds (14)
2. AJ Brown, WR, Camden Hood Rats (9)
3. Patrick Mahomes, QB, Cancun Kaiju (8)
Others receiving votes: Tyreek Hill (7), Chris Olave (5), Justin Herbert (3), Jalen Hurts (3), CJ Stroud (3), Ja'Marr Chase (2), Tua Tagovailoa (2), Josh Allen (1), Derrick Henry (1), Lamar Jackson (1), Brock Purdy (1), Amon-Ra St. Brown (1), Trent Williams (1)

Defensive Player of the Year
1. Micah Parsons, EDGE, Anchorage Trappers (23)
2. TJ Watt, EDGE, Lancaster Werewolves (15)
3. Myles Garrett, EDGE, Ivory Coast Black Rhinos (7)
Others receiving votes: DaRon Bland (5), Khalil Mack (3), Josh Allen (2), Aaron Donald (2), Quinnen Williams (2), Jessie Bates (1), Nick Bosa (1), Maxx Crosby (1), Kayvon Thibodeaux (1)

• Like 2

2023 BDL Awards

Most Valuable Player
1. Patrick Mahomes, QB, Cancun Kaiju (17)
2. CJ Stroud, QB, Berlin Blitzkrieg (9)
3t. Christian McCaffrey, RB, Raleigh Firebirds (5)
3t. Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Greenland Polar Bears/Camden Hood Rats (5)
Others receiving votes: Jalen Hurts (4), Tyreek Hill (3), Dak Prescott (3), Josh Allen (2), Justin Herbert (2), Lamar Jackson (2), Micah Parsons (1), Brock Purdy (1)

• Like 4

My votes:

MVP: 1. Mahomes / 2. Hurts / 3. Parsons

OPOY: 1. Olave / 2. AJ Brown / 3. Henry

DPOY: 1. Parsons / 2. Watt / 3. Q.Williams

OROY: 1. Stroud / 2. LaPorta / 3. Gibbs

DROY: 1. Anderson / 2. Carter / 3. Witherspoon

COY: 1. Rack/Mike / 2. Ruskie / 3. Rags

EOY: 1. Rags / 2. Lukic / 3. JLash

CPOY: 1. Bates / 2. Baker / 3. Tua

BPOY: 1. Bland / 2. Collins / 3. Madubuike

WCOY: 1. Baker / 2. Moss / 3. Stephens

DCOY: 1. Berlin / 2. Rome / 3. Gotham

• Like 2

Anchorage Offseason Overview:

Offense:

QB: Joe Burrow (3up), Aidan O’Connell (ERFA)

This starts with Joe Burrow needing to be 3upped. I hope he can remain healthy. Depending how AOC finishes the season and what the Raiders do in FA/Draft he may be retained by us. The tank or draft could be another option for us to add a QB to the room. At the end of the day our team like most in BDL sinks or swims with their starting QB. Burrow is the face of our franchise and we ride or die with him.

Draft Pick Chance %: 50%

RB: Breece Hall, Tyjae Spears, Roschon Johnson, Kendre Miller

Breece hasn’t had as much success as I had hoped for coming off the ACL. To be fair the Jets oline is cheeks and the passing game isn’t helping. I hope that a year removed he can regain some of the magic he showed in a limited rookie sample size. We hope Spears can become the RB1 in Tennessee. We expect them to move on from Henry but still bring in a time share, split the reps more with Spears as RB1 then they did with Henry. We are okay with this just hoping Spears gets at least 50-60% of the work. Roschon is stuck in a committee that we hope he gains more of a larger role in. We like his ability in pass protection and his hard nosed running style and we think he complements our other backs well. Kendre has injury issues just like his last season at TCU. All we hope for is some type of role with him going forward and don’t expect much more than that. He showed some surprising ability in the passing game when able to be on the field this year so that’s a plus. Needs to run with better vision. We will lose JT due to cap so that makes us sad. Adding to this group in the middle rounds wouldn’t be a bad idea with a lottery pick.

Draft Pick Chance %: 65%

WR: Ja’Marr Chase, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Jameson Williams, Josh Downs, Treylon Burks, AT Perry, Tre Tucker (ERFA), Ronnie Bell (ERFA)

I feel there is a lot of untapped potential in this group. That potential may never materialize but some are starting to show case their talent with three rookies scoring 4 TDs in the last 7 days. Chase is our obvious alpha and can do it all as the number 1. We love what we’ve seen lately from JSN and he’s shown he can win some on the outside. Jamo’s usage is puzzling, great break away talent and great effort run blocker we hope his role expands next year to at least a more consistent deep threat. Burks is a big bodied deep threat who I hope can build a better rapport with Levis going forward. He’s been hurt but last week had some production. Downs is a slot guy we really like but his production is inconsistent, a lot of talent in that small frame however. AT Perry has made some big time catches in limited usage and we like his ability outside as a 50/50 stretch the field weapon. Tre Tucker is slowly starting to produce and his speed is very evident he will be brought back. And lastly Ronnie Bell who has had limited opportunities but shown some good things on tape, if Aiyuk leaves in FA we expect his role to increase so will be worth monitoring as a potential keep.  With all that being said this is a deep WR class and we can’t bank on development and need to take more shots on adding talent to this group for Burrow and the offense.

Draft Pick Chance %: 100%

TE: David Njoku, Isaiah Likely, Will Mallory (ERFA)

We were much more down on this group earlier in the season but the emergence of Njoku and increased opportunity capitalization by Likely makes us really excited about this group going forward. Will Mallory has shown a few things and is worth a bring back. Cole Turner likely gets cut as he didn’t produce the way I hoped in year 2 in Washington. And Tommy Tremble is not going to get a RFA tag from me at this point in time.

Draft Pick Chance %: 35%

OT: Andrew Thomas (3up), Ikem Ekwonu, Spencer Brown (RFA)

We will have two tackles for sure after we 3up Andrew Thomas and sub 500 cut Waletzko and depending on how RFA goes we may have three with Brown. We need more help here and this is a deep tackle draft. The tank may be an option for cheap veteran depth but rookie picks need to be used on this position. Ekwonu I hope gets moved inside but I don’t think it’s going to happen. 

OG: Jamaree Salyer 

Well the cupboard is bare here. We will sub 500 cut Logan Bruss woof what a horrible PFA that was for us with he and Waletzko… this is why I trade the picks. Anyway all we have is Salyer and he hasn’t been as good as he was at tackle his rookie year. We need to find some cheap solutions here. We lose Glasgow who was a waiver wire pickup for us and ended up starting as he played well this year for Detroit. We use Ragnow as guard and so at least we have that but we for sure need to hit the tank and draft to add bodies here.

C; Erik McCoy, Frank Ragnow

So McCoy is our starter and Ragnow can swing back over in emergency. We liked adding James from the Raiders as cheap depth and probably look to do the same here. Depends how the draft falls but a C is a possibility looking toward the future as Ragnow and McCoy both carry heavy contracts. 

Draft Pick Chance %: 45%

Defense:

Edge: Micah Parsons, Haason Reddick, Aidan Hutchinson, Sam Hubbard, James Houston

Parsons and Reddick make for a great starting edge duo with Hutch and Hubbard having some versatility to kick inside on passing downs. We hope Houston comes back healthy and can show something. We will need to figure out about adding someone here due to possibly trading an edge for cap purposes.  We will see how it shakes out but we feel this is a strong group even after losing Highsmith to FA. 

Draft Pick Chance %: 80%

INT: Vita Vea, Ed Oliver, Jordan Davis, Jarran Reed, Dante Stills (ERFA)

I really like this group with a diverse skill set with NT types and UT types. Oliver has taken his game to another level and was paid for it. It is a very expensive group so I don’t see me investing resources here in a weak draft class. 

Draft Pick Chance %: 10%

LB: David Long Jr, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Micah McFadden (ERFA)

I like what this group brings. They are down hill players with JOK having some coverage versatility. We need to add more depth here through the tank or the draft. Most defenses in BDL don’t have to deploy more than 2 LBers on majority of plays with the offenses in this league but having depth is pivotal.

Draft Pick Chance %: 85%

CB: Patrick Surtain Jr, Jaycee Horn, Derek Stingley Jr, Christian Gonzalez, Paulson Adebo (RFA), Christian Izien (ERFA)

I love my corner group and can keep a strong unit going forward even after trading Jaylon Johnson last season. Stingley is playing well finally healthy and we hope for a healthy return of Gonzo. We will RFA tag Adebo and ERFA NB Izien. I can’t say we won’t draft a corner because everyone knows my obsession with the position. So I’ll keep that percentage over 50%.

Draft Pick Chance %: 60%

S: Jessie Bates lll, Talanoa Hufanga (RFA), Jordan Howden (ERFA), Caden Sterns (ERFA), Percy Butler

Bates is a star as our FS, Hufanga we hope can come back healthy as he gets a RFA tag. Howden has played well as a rookie and looks to have a bigger role in 2024. Sterns will get tagged by us even though he is always hurt if he can stay healthy the potential is top notch. Butler may be a sub 500 cut we will evaluate that. With that being said S is a need. We will draft one to help bolster our room as we lose Kam Curl who played our third S role for us.

Overall this is a cap strapped year for us. Some of the above players will be traded or cut because we have to create space. Such is the way of the beast. We look forward to remaining competitive with our core players and new additions through the draft/tank. 

• Like 1

Raleigh Offseason Roster Review

Projected 3 Downs- QB The Sexual Assaulter, OT Jack Conklin, WR Michael Thomas

Projected cap space (after internal roster moves and 3 downs): ~ $73,000

This is a huge offseason for the Firebirds. Last year I stripped the roster down to the studs. Despite a pair of draft picks that look on track to bust, I think there were several moves last year that have put a decent foundation on this team. Last offseason, it was about adding as many useful players to the roster as possible because there was very little of use. Now this offseason, it will be about adding a select few of the right pieces to see if Raleigh can make their first legit playoff push. 

OFFENSE

QB- Bryce Young

Extremely rough year for Bryce Young. I can’t rely on him to be what I drafted him to be in BDL, or anything but a hold on and pray something or anything gets better. All avenues will be explored to add talent here in all stages of the offseason.

RB- Christian McCaffrey, Kareem Hunt, Keaton Mitchell (ERFA). Ty Chandler (ERFA?/RFA?), Chuba Hubbard (RFA?)

McCaffrey, the reigning BDL OPOY,has reestablished himself as a field tilter and an elite offensive weapon. His high price tag keeps me searching for depth behind him. 

Hunt did some nice things but will be a FA again, Mitchell really showed something and then of course tears his ACL. I don’t know what his future holds. My bet on Ty Chandler looks to be hitting, but way too late to be useful this season. Will he show enough to get a legit chance for the Vikings? Same thing with Chuba Hubbard in Carolina. Lots of potential but lots of question marks in this group behind CMC

WR- Courtland Sutton, Diontae Johnson, Tutu Atwell, Quentin Johnston, Darius Slayton, Jake Bobo (ERFA), Justyn Ross 

Despite another disappointing draft pick in Quentin Johnston, Cortland Sutton reestablished himself this year, Diontae Johnson actually scored some TD’s, Tutu Atwell has proved not to be useless and Jake Bobo had a couple flashes. I like the depth of this group, but it lacks that true #1 WR. If I can hit on an alfa, I really like how this group is shaping out.

TE- Mark Andrews

Andrews is one of the best in the game. I will add more cheap depth behind him.

OT- Jordan Mailata (3up), Wanya Morris (ERFA), Warren McGlendon (ERFA)

Mailata is a franchise LT, but the biggest hole on my offense outside of QB is RT. Wayna Morris has gotten some playing time as of late and has been pretty good. Maybe I can rely on him as a 3rd or 4th OT, but I expect this room to be one of my biggest offseason focuses. 

IOL- Connor Williams, Landon Dickerson, Matthew Bergeron, Dalton Risner, Nick Saldiveri (ERFA)

Williams, Dickerson and Bergeron are a very cost controlled interior that I would feel comfortable rolling into the season with. Although the ACL injury to Williams complicates this, so I’ll need to be more aggressive at center. I’ll be looking for some values to add depth behind them. But I feel pretty good about the youth and play of this group.

DEFENSE

EDGE- Danielle Hunter (3up), Josh Sweat, Jermaine Johnson, Nick Herbig (ERFA), Cam Thomas

I love my top 3 with Jermaine Johnson’s breakout this season and Hunter vaulting himself into the elite EDGE category. I like to be legit 4 deep at EDGE, so I’ll probably put some resources into one more player to add here. A strong D-line will be what the Raleigh defense is built around.

DT- Jalen Carter, Alim McNeill, BJ Hill, Kobie Turner (ERFA), Milton Williams (RFA), Moro Ojomo (ERFA)

Investments here have paid off as I feel legit 5 deep. I don’t plan on adding here unless there is a screaming value to be had. This could even be a spot where I look to move a player.

LB- Quay Walker, Quincy Williams, Jack Sanborn

Williams has really broken out this year and Walker has stabilized pretty well in year 2. A good duo to go into the offseason with not feeling like I have to add something significant. There is typically value at LB to be had throughout the offseason, so there will be additions, probably not high investments.

CB- Avonte Maddox, Sean Murphy Bunting, Bryce Hall, Darius Rush, 

This is one area of my defense that I know needs an overhaul. Maddox and SMB are quality BDL #3 or #4 CB’s, but that is about it here. My CB room will get a healthy investment of resources this offseason.

S- Budda Baker, Justin Reid, Reed Blankenship

This is the trio that I anticipate entering the season with as my starters. Low investment players will be added for depth.

Looking at my draft and cap capital , I see the path to legitimacy. Now I just got to make the right moves.

• Like 1