The New QB Thread: Who will be the Raiders QB next season?

RaidersAreOne

Who will be the Raiders QB next year?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders starter in 2023

• Derek Carr
    • Tom Brady
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Baker Mayfield
    • CJ Stroud
    • Bryce Young
    • Will Levis
    • Other (Please Specify)

I'm surprised at how many people think that we're going to go with a journeyman or draft someone like Anthony Richardson. I just don't see any way that the new regime put their money on some cheap middle of the road free agent or take a chance on someone that's a year or two away from being ready to play. 

Mark Davis has made it clear that he wants to win now and all of the moves that we made last offseason reflected that. This year was always a prove it year from Carr, he didn't play well and they were immediately ready to pivot off of him. But I don't think that they'd move off of him at $33M, which was a lot but about what he deserves, to get significantly worse at quarterback. 

If anything moving on from Carr puts even more pressure on JMD/DZ to find someone that can help us win now because they'll be under even more scrutiny if we take a step back because of poor QB play. We have the weapons to win now and our offense showed flashes of having what it takes to be an elite group. I don't think you can punt away all of the talent that we have here with shaky QB play. 

In terms of who we'll target, I'd guess it'll be:

Tier 1

Tom Brady

Tier 1b:

Aaron Rodgers (Don't think it's likely but if he's open too it, I'm sure we'd push for it)

Lamar Jackson (Also unlikely but he has to be on the top of everyone's list this offseason)

Tier 2

Jimmy Garoppolo 

Tier 3

Mac Jones 

Edited by NYRaider

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I'm surprised at how many people think that we're going to go with a journeyman or draft someone like Anthony Richardson. I just don't see any way that the new regime put their money on some cheap middle of the road free agent or take a chance on someone that's a year or two away from being ready to play. 

Mark Davis has made it clear that he wants to win now and all of the moves that we made last offseason reflected that. This year was always a prove it year from Carr, he didn't play well and they were immediately ready to pivot off of him. But I don't think that they'd move off of him at $33M, which was a lot but about what he deserves, to get significantly worse at quarterback. 

If anything moving on from Carr puts even more pressure on JMD/DZ to find someone that can help us win now because they'll be under even more scrutiny if we take a step back because of poor QB play. We have the weapons to win now and our offense showed flashes of having what it takes to be an elite group. I don't think you can punt away all of the talent that we have here with shaky QB play. 

In terms of who we'll target, I'd guess it'll be:

Tier 1

Tom Brady

Tier 1b:

Aaron Rodgers (Don't think it's likely but if he's open too it, I'm sure we'd push for it)

Lamar Jackson (Also unlikely but he has to be on the top of everyone's list this offseason)

Tier 2

Jimmy Garoppolo 

Tier 3

Mac Jones 

If you guys think I ragged on Carr, just wait til we get Jimmy G or Mac Jones...

Brady, Rodgers, Lamar would be fine though. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

If you guys think I ragged on Carr, just wait til we get Jimmy G or Mac Jones...

Brady, Rodgers, Lamar would be fine though. 

Half of our fan base thinks Mark Davis is going to be cool with Stidham and/or Richardson/Levis when he just went on a rant about our lack of fans at home games, lol. He's going to swing for the fences this offseason. 

Mark Davis needs to be careful here. His desperation to win evokes his father's late career whom kept trying to catch lightning in a bottle at the long term healthy of the franchise.

Expecting your football people to win now, when your franchise has failed to properly draft talent for years is a recipe for disaster. 

If he was patient, let them develop a QB and be diligent in their approach to improve a neglected roster, he could potentially create a consistent winner. 

If he's going to knee jerk hire and fire based people on instant gratification, he's going to be stuck in this cycle for a long time. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

If he's going to knee jerk hire and fire based people on instant gratification, he's going to be stuck in this cycle for a long time. 

He gave Carr 9 seasons before we moved on, I wouldn't call a decade a "knee jerk reaction." 

• Like 1

I wonder if there is a path for the Raiders to trade Carr for that RB in Baltimore to play QB. 

That dude is a winner. He would have no trouble with accountability. He is a culture fit. Guy who wants to win at all costs. He would mesh well. Teammates believe in him and play hard for him. 

Get him in a sophisticated passing offense and coach him up and let's see what happens. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I wonder if there is a path for the Raiders to trade Carr for that RB in Baltimore to play QB. 

That dude is a winner. He would have no trouble with accountability. He is a culture fit. Guy who wants to win at all costs. He would mesh well. Teammates believe in him and play hard for him. 

Get him in a sophisticated passing offense and coach him up and let's see what happens. 

I’d be all for Lamar. Seems like a good kid. And has become a way better passer over the past year. Not sure he’s McDaniel’s type of guy though. I’d rather have Lamar than any QB in this draft class. Nobody in this class excites me that much. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

How would it work with the timing?

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Mark Davis needs to be careful here. His desperation to win evokes his father's late career whom kept trying to catch lightning in a bottle at the long term healthy of the franchise.

Expecting your football people to win now, when your franchise has failed to properly draft talent for years is a recipe for disaster. 

If he was patient, let them develop a QB and be diligent in their approach to improve a neglected roster, he could potentially create a consistent winner. 

The acquisition of adams is kinda messing things up. Without adams it’s a rebuild no question. With adams you kinda have to win now and bring in a “real qb” or you just wasted money on adams and you look like you have no idea what your doing as hc and pres 

• Like 1

Just now, NCOUGHMAN said:

The acquisition of adams is kinda messing things up. Without adams it’s a rebuild no question. With adams you kinda have to win now and bring in a “real qb” or you just wasted money on adams and you look like you have no idea what your doing as hc and pres 

You don’t trade / sign Adams or resign  Jacobs / Waller if it’s a rebuild.

My biggest issue with DZ and JMD is it was literally shown mult times Carr struggles in his first year of a system. 
Apparently there were offers for Carr last year of 1st +, that they turned down to see him in the system.
Carr def struggled this year, as expected especially with injuries to key players, but did have some moments / halfs. 

I just think if you knew, unless he went on an mvp run he was gone, you shouldve traded him last year. 
History shows he struggles year 1. 
Add in a complex play book, and it makes sense for him to regress and hurt his trade value. 

Everyone had a feeling JMD wanted his own guy, which is fine, but I really think they killed his value whereas we couldve got a good haul last year. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

My biggest issue with DZ and JMD is it was literally shown mult times Carr struggles in his first year of a system. 
Apparently there were offers for Carr last year of 1st +, that they turned down to see him in the system.
Carr def struggled this year, as expected especially with injuries to key players, but did have some moments / halfs. 

I just think if you knew, unless he went on an mvp run he was gone, you shouldve traded him last year. 
Add in a complex play book, and it makes sense for him to regress and hurt his trade value. 

Everyone had a feeling JMD wanted his own guy, which is fine, but I really think they killed his value whereas we couldve got a good haul last year. 

Hondo's article made it pretty clear that they were all in on Carr. But Carr just wasn't the guy that they thought he was and isn't a good fit for the culture. They didn't structure his deal the way that they did because they intended to move on after this year, they did it to have a way out if he flopped, and he did. It's super inconvenient that we have to get a deal done a month before the new league year begins and Carr has 100% control over where he lands. 

I don't think he had to have an MVP run, if we would've made the playoffs he would've been back. Unfortunately he couldn't outplay Baker Mayfield (on 2 days notice) or Kenny Pickett when we needed him too. Mac Jones had zero issues with the playbook as a rookie starter with less talent around him. Carr checked out mentally and lost the locker room, he did the same thing in 2017. The team rallied behind Stidham as soon as he was benched.

Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, and Carson Wentz all got traded after poor seasons. It would've been idiotic to trade Carr last offseason unless their plan was to tear the entire roster down for a major rebuild. 

Edited by NYRaider

15 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

2 1sts from the Colts. Oof

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

2 1sts from the Colts. Oof

In an offseason where Malik Willis and Kenny Pickett were the two best QB prospects. Josh McDaniels and Dave Ziegler would've immediately lost the locker room and fanbase if they traded Carr after everything that happened last season. I'll roll with what multiple sources confirmed, they loved Carr as the QB going forward when they took the job, he quit on the team / lost the locker room, so they're choosing to move on. 

42 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Hondo's article made it pretty clear that they were all in on Carr. But Carr just wasn't the guy that they thought he was and isn't a good fit for the culture. They didn't structure his deal the way that they did because they intended to move on after this year, they did it to have a way out if he flopped, and he did. It's super inconvenient that we have to get a deal done a month before the new league year begins and Carr has 100% control over where he lands. 

I don't think he had to have an MVP run, if we would've made the playoffs he would've been back. Unfortunately he couldn't outplay Baker Mayfield (on 2 days notice) or Kenny Pickett when we needed him too. Mac Jones had zero issues with the playbook as a rookie starter with less talent around him. Carr checked out mentally and lost the locker room, he did the same thing in 2017. The team rallied behind Stidham as soon as he was benched.

Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, and Carson Wentz all got traded after poor seasons. It would've been idiotic to trade Carr last offseason unless their plan was to tear the entire roster down for a major rebuild. 

That is what im saying, year 1 he has always struggled. 
Do you disagree with that? 
They put an out in case he struggled year 1, and he did, so they used the out they put in. 

Tough to outplay someone when you are given 6 pass attempts, 4 of them coming on the only drive we scored in the 2nd.
no need to respond, i know you think Carr shouldve thrown at least 4 TDs on those 6 passes haha. 

Mac Jones not struggling year 1 has literally nothing to do with Carr. 
Carr has shown 3 or 4 times, year 1 he struggles with a new play book. . . Do you not agree with that?

love the last bold, I seem to remember multiple posters (AKA some im speaking too) saying we should trade Carr last offseason