The New QB Thread: Who will be the Raiders QB next season?

RaidersAreOne

Who will be the Raiders QB next year?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders starter in 2023

• Derek Carr
    • Tom Brady
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Baker Mayfield
    • CJ Stroud
    • Bryce Young
    • Will Levis
    • Other (Please Specify)

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Raiders fans logic = no one values Carr enough to give up any assets for him but they value him enough to give him the biggest free agent deal in NFL history.

It isnt just Carr. It’s Carr contract written by another team and draft capital: 

There’s no way we get anything other than a mid round  at best. Teams know we need to cut or trade him 

4 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

It isnt just Carr. It’s Carr contract written by another team and draft capital: 

There’s no way we get anything other than a mid round  at best. Teams know we need to cut or trade him 

Carr's agent will work with the team to find a trade partner, they're not giving up $40M guaranteed in hopes that someone will give him the biggest FA deal in history. Especially not when guys like Tom Brady, Jimmy G, etc. will also be free agents. 

7 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Carr's contract isn't really cost prohibitive for most teams since so much of it is not guaranteed. Teams could also offer to restructure his contract to increase the guarantees and lower the cap number.

It all comes down to how teams view Carr. I think Carr is still viewed as franchise starter by most NFL teams. Thus, I think he gets back a mid first to early second round pick.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

What teams are QB needy, have the cap space to take on his $30M cap hit, and are likely going to want to commit to him a month before the new league year begins?

Seahawks, Texans, Falcons? I'll throw the Patriots in there as they have Cap space and there's a slight possibility we could finagle a Carr/Jones trade.  Carr wouldn't got to the Texans, but I could see him wanting to work for BB or Pete Carrol. 

Carr's contract is very team friendly for who's looking for him. He's going to go to a team that wnts to win now and they hope he puts them over the top. If they trade for him and he helps them to the divisional round of the playoffs, he's going to be worth 40 mil in 2024....especially because other QB's are going to start getting 40+ mil contracts more often as the cap increases over the next 2 years. It will be a very average contract in 2024/25. 

It's very team friendly in that if he doesn't help that team get to the next level. they have an out without costing them anything except a draft pick

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Seahawks, Texans, Falcons? I'll throw the Patriots in there as they have Cap space and there's a slight possibility we could finagle a Carr/Jones trade.  Carr wouldn't got to the Texans, but I could see him wanting to work for BB or Pete Carrol. 

Geno Smith just played like a top 10 QB this year and will likely be cheaper than Carr. Why would they give up draft capital for a parallel move at best? The Texans also seem committed to taking a franchise QB at the top of the draft, they're not even close to being competitive so I'm not sure how Carr moves the needle for them.

The Falcons could make sense for sure though.

13 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I merged these two linking threads together. All posts and replies should have showed up in this one thread now. 

Good call, too many QB threads were live. We may need to get the poll reset (if that's even possible) when DC gets traded/cut.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Raiders fans logic = no one values Carr enough to give up any assets for him but they value him enough to give him the biggest free agent deal in NFL history.

This is how FA works. You don't have to be the best at you'd position to get money thrown at you just the best in FA.

1 minute ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

This is how FA works. You don't have to be the best at you'd position to get money thrown at you just the best in FA.

I just personally don't see Carr getting the biggest FA deal in NFL history when guys like Brady, Jimmy, etc. will be free agents this year too.