The New QB Thread: Who will be the Raiders QB next season?

RaidersAreOne

Who will be the Raiders QB next year?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders starter in 2023

• Derek Carr
    • Tom Brady
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Baker Mayfield
    • CJ Stroud
    • Bryce Young
    • Will Levis
    • Other (Please Specify)

15 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Mac Jones is my first choice (tied for drafting one of the top 4 QB's in the draft). His relationship with McDaniels is supposedly amazing, and that's invaluable. 

I wouldn't be mad at Mac Jones, tbh. He was productive under JMD as a rookie with less talent around him. And we'd have him under team control on his rookie deal for the next 2/3 seasons so we could afford to be aggressive addressing other positions in free agency. I just wonder how much draft capital it would cost to acquire him.

31 minutes ago, Ryno said:

In the end I imagine you're most likely right on all of this - I just see a lot of opinions on this forum written in a way that comes off as factual statements set in stone... ie. "stiddy has already proven it isn't going to work long term" This is something we don't actually know and he can't be simply written off at this point, **unless McDaniels decides this**,

That's the thing. He already did decide this, a few times, the last 3 years. He decided it with Newton, then Hoyer, then BB decided it by trading him, So you're saying, "until he decides this for a 4th time?"  

That's fact, because it's based in evidence. IMO. 😄

11 minutes ago, NickButera said:

That's the thing. He already did decide this, a few times, the last 3 years. He decided it with Newton, then Hoyer, then BB decided it by trading him, So you're saying, "until he decides this for a 4th time?"  

As I mentioned I don't believe they intended on him taking the reigns in his second year and think they thought Brady would stick around for longer. So I don't consider not starting a 2nd year 4th round pick as writing them off as a long term option, but there is no disputing the fact that he ended up as 3rd string... 

Year 1 was his rookie year behind Brady, year 2 third string, year 3 injury, year 4 traded for him - so year 2 is the only year where it looks like he maybe lost faith?

We don't have factual evidence that McDaniels decided he wasn't a long term option, as we don't have factual evidence for the reasons behind the decisions that were made, all we can do is make assumptions and give opinions.

*Not sure why BB's decision counts as McDaniels writing him off when McDaniels is the one who traded for him?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NickButera said:

The 4th time was actually waiting to start him until they benched Carr too.  If he truly thought he had something he could of started him even earlier.  Stidham didn't start the last two games because Josh thought he deserved to.  He started because they were scared Carr would get hurt.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Why would the Patriots trade us Mac Jones? 

If he was available, JMD would no doubt be their first call. From the Pats perspective, he had a down sophomore season. They went through that whole Zappe thing mid season and Belichick hasn't really spoken supportingly of him. But that is kind of his MO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Not a bad idea. Fans around here would probably hate it, but I'd trust that what DZ/JMD saw in him to draft him 15 overall. Shanahan was said to be a big fan as well. 

He was arguably the best rookie QB in 2021. This year, was a mess with their staff being cute and having Patricia call plays. 

You could do worse than Mac Jones.

Aw man I would be pretty disappointed if we trade for Mac Jones. I am personally not a fan.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, true2form said:

Agreed.  I didn't watch much of him this year, but he looked horrible against our defense.  That speaks volumes.

Anything from this year from him literally doesn’t count. He has a DC calling plays and designing the offense. He had zero shot. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, true2form said:

Agreed.  I didn't watch much of him this year, but he looked horrible against our defense.  That speaks volumes.

I am not saying I want him but him looking bad against our defense is not a concern.  Our coach knows everything about him and their offense.  It is like Gannon going up against Gruden in the SB almost.  BB is not dumb enough to keep the same calls and audibles.