The New QB Thread: Who will be the Raiders QB next season?

RaidersAreOne

Who will be the Raiders QB next year?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders starter in 2023

• Derek Carr
    • Tom Brady
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Baker Mayfield
    • CJ Stroud
    • Bryce Young
    • Will Levis
    • Other (Please Specify)

2 hours ago, true2form said:

I'd agree if our defense was making plays like Tampa's was.  Mac was just flat out missing guys.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2022/12/21/23518562/patriots-film-review-raiders-nfl-week-15-mac-jones

Yes Mac missed some throws, I am not a fan of bringing him here, but even the article says it was a combination of missing throws, bad routes, bad play design, and spacing.  The plays they show the coverage is pretty good.  One of the two missed throws could very easily have been the WR fault also.  Not sure about the designed depth on the route but if he cuts it out right at the 1st down marker it is a completion.  The Henry pass was dropped and he was throwing the ball with anticipation.  It easily should have been a first.  Once again I am not a Mac Jones fan but there has to be better examples then that because our D did a decent job in those clips.

On 1/11/2023 at 3:33 PM, NYRaider said:

I wouldn't be mad at Mac Jones, tbh. He was productive under JMD as a rookie with less talent around him. And we'd have him under team control on his rookie deal for the next 2/3 seasons so we could afford to be aggressive addressing other positions in free agency. I just wonder how much draft capital it would cost to acquire him.

I wouldn’t be a fan of bringing in Mac Jones, that Pats offence carried him his rookie year (no shame in that for a rookie) but McDaniels covered his weaknesses well and this team with its D won’t be able to do that. This year he’s predominantly been crappy. I think Stidham has a higher ceiling frankly due to his improvisation. 

I can’t understand why anyone who wanted Carr out would want to bring in a game manager type QB when everyone complained about extending plays and improvising, being more aggressive………….

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 7:17 PM, agarcia34 said:

Anything from this year from him literally doesn’t count. He has a DC calling plays and designing the offense. He had zero shot. 

I disagree, he’s just been very poor this year. I’ve watched the Pats a few times and I don’t think Patricia is the problem. It’s a mix of Playcalling, lack of talent and bad QB play.

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Michael Lombardi (Mick Lombardi, our OC dad) said that we're not expecting to get much back in a Carr trade, likely just a mid round pick.

That makes sense. It’s in the Raiders and Carr’s best interest to do a trade but for the rest of the NFL it’s not what’s best for them.  I know if you’re a team you want to secure Carr via trade but you might get him for less than 40 million or draft picks if he hits the market. 

Right now the Raiders don’t have as much leverage especially with Carr straight up coming out with a goodbye post on IG. Teams know that he’s leaving so why not wait out the Raiders. 

2 hours ago, Chali21 said:

That makes sense. It’s in the Raiders and Carr’s best interest to do a trade but for the rest of the NFL it’s not what’s best for them.  I know if you’re a team you want to secure Carr via trade but you might get him for less than 40 million or draft picks if he hits the market. 

Right now the Raiders don’t have as much leverage especially with Carr straight up coming out with a goodbye post on IG. Teams know that he’s leaving so why not wait out the Raiders. 

True, Carr did his best to screw the team.

The Raiders best hopes for a trade is these QB needy team who don’t have a high draft pick. Washington, Saints, ATL, Carolina, Jets. Tennessee. Teams who need a QB badly who might not want to get into a FA bidding war for Carr. Hope they get desperate and do a trade.