The New QB Thread: Who will be the Raiders QB next season?

RaidersAreOne

Who will be the Raiders QB next year?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders starter in 2023

• Derek Carr
    • Tom Brady
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Baker Mayfield
    • CJ Stroud
    • Bryce Young
    • Will Levis
    • Other (Please Specify)

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

If Josh signs Jimmy G, with no 1st Round QB, like Jimmy G is literally THE solution, I will lose all faith in McDaniels. 

Don’t tell me we are waiting for 2024 QB class either. We are throwing away a year if we sign Jimmy with no 1st Round QB waiting, and likely would be out of range to draft a QB. 

I honestly think that this is what's going to happen. With that being said if we take a quarterback at 7 I can see us reaching just for the sake of taking one

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

If Josh signs Jimmy G, with no 1st Round QB, like Jimmy G is literally THE solution, I will lose all faith in McDaniels. 

Don’t tell me we are waiting for 2024 QB class either. We are throwing away a year if we sign Jimmy with no 1st Round QB waiting, and likely would be out of range to draft a QB. 

So you'd reach on a QB like Levis or Richardson just for the sake of doing it? How are we throwing away the season with Jimmy and no first round QB if they'd just be the 2nd or 3rd stringer anyways?

On 1/26/2023 at 7:42 AM, true2form said:

You're coming at this from a Raiders fan standpoint of what you want to happen.  Everything you say would be best for the Raiders and what we all want.

Logic says otherwise.  Teams can wait the Raiders out.  Sign Carr to as big or small of a contract as they'd like.  Carr may not get the biggest contract of all time or whatever, but he can certainly get new guaranteed money.  If it's 25 instead of 40, I'm sure he'll be fine and happy to be somewhere he is wanted.  The guy isn't hurting for money and I'm sure it's not top of his list.

I just understand how valuable QB's are in the league and landing Carr could easily be the difference between a HC/GM keeping their job or not. 

Carr is so spiteful towards the Raiders because of what happened but is going to be happy to sign somewhere for less money? And be happy that a team didn't value him enough to trade for him on his current contract and wanted him at a discount? lol

On 1/26/2023 at 8:43 PM, drfrey13 said:

We do not need to trade Carr before the money becomes guaranteed.  We can wait for the available QBs to dry up before trading Carr to a team that missed out.

First, there are going to be more QB needy teams than starting quality QBs.

Second, although I do not believe Carr is worth $40 per year he is worth more than than $40 million guaranteed.  He has an incentive to rework his contract and lower his overall money while increasing his guaranteed money.  New contracts for QBs have been around 60% and above.  Right now he is around 33%

Third, if we wait until after his money is guaranteed it does not mean the Raiders owe him that money.  It means the team he is playing for owes him that money.  It is mostly base salary and signing bonuses count against us even if he is traded before.  It is more of a risk but we have a while before he needs to be paid anything.

If we do that then we'd also miss out on all of the top QB's available as well so what would be our plan to replace Carr? We'd also be going into free agency with significantly less cap space to work with in hopes we can get a 2/3 for Carr.

And I'm pretty sure we'd still have to pay him unless we worked out a deal, but not sure on that.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If we do that then we'd also miss out on all of the top QB's available as well so what would be our plan to replace Carr? We'd also be going into free agency with significantly less cap space to work with in hopes we can get a 2/3 for Carr.

And I'm pretty sure we'd still have to pay him unless we worked out a deal, but not sure on that.

Of course we would have to pay him if we did not find a trade partner but I also think he would play one more season with us.  Camp would be really akward but players would get over it after a few weeks.

7 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Of course we would have to pay him if we did not find a trade partner but I also think he would play one more season with us.  Camp would be really akward but players would get over it after a few weeks.

I think that ship has sailed to be honest. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dessie said:

You’ve already said he is worth more than $40m gtd so not that big a risk. 

It would be incredibly naive to think there isn’t ways for teams to reach out to Carr. 

It is a big risk.  It happens to players sometimes that they think they can get more and have to settle for a prove it deal.  Carr would be making a bet worth millions.  Have you ever made a bet with $10K or more?  Feels like you are having a heart attack while riding a roller coaster.  Players more often then not take the sure money.  The market standard right now is to get 60%+ but if he goes to FA it is not a sure thing that his contract would be a large one.  He could still get 60%+ guaranteed on a contract that is small enough that the guaranteed money is less than $40 million.  Now if he gets hurt he loses the bet. 

I do not believe I said Carr is worth $40 million guaranteed either.  I gave an example of what is reasonable for a QB of his abilities based on the league standard.  I have already said that if I was in control of a team I would be drafting QBs all the time to make sure I have a revolving door of QBs capable of running the team on rookie contracts.  Now if I got an elite level QB I would pay them but for mid tier QBs I would develop and trade them as soon as I could.  QB market is crazy and a few other positions are creepy up into crazy levels also.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think that ship has sailed to be honest. 

It is a strained relationship and this would be worst case scenario but sometimes teams and players come back together to make the best of a bad situation because it becomes the best option for both sides because all other options have run out.  I also said it is a 1 in a million shot.

8 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I do not think it is a slam dunk because I see it from my perspective which is emotion free.  I do not know how Carr's emotions might cloud his thinking or if he even values money like an average person.  It is entirely possible that he is on the far end of one of these spectrums.

So one minute it’s a guarantee just like the Texans winning the Super Bowl and now it’s not? I’m the one not letting my fandom cloud my emotions. Everything with this is 50/50 right now. You’ve been arguing with me that this is a 99.9% certainty. Make up your mind. 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

So you'd reach on a QB like Levis or Richardson just for the sake of doing it? How are we throwing away the season with Jimmy and no first round QB if they'd just be the 2nd or 3rd stringer anyways?

How does Jimmy make us better than the 2022 Raiders?

On 1/27/2023 at 4:43 AM, drfrey13 said:

Second, although I do not believe Carr is worth $40 per year he is worth more than than $40 million guaranteed.  He has an incentive to rework his contract and lower his overall money while increasing his guaranteed money.  New contracts for QBs have been around 60% and above.  Right now he is around 33%

Make up your mind. Is he or isn’t he ? 

12 hours ago, Dessie said:

You’ve already said he is worth more than $40m gtd so not that big a risk. 

It would be incredibly naive to think there isn’t ways for teams to reach out to Carr. 

True but if the Raiders got wind of teams reaching out to Carr telling him they pay him more that his current contract if he holds out until he’s cut that would be tampering. Knowing the league they could level fines to both the franchise and Carr as well as pull draft picks.  I think the Raiders would be petty enough to do that too.  

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Well Brady won’t be here. Gronk said Brady would even re-sign with Tampa before signing with the Raiders. Basically, we had our chance in 2020, and slapped Ton in the face. 

Oh no!

Anyway…

• Like 1