The New QB Thread: Who will be the Raiders QB next season?

RaidersAreOne

Who will be the Raiders QB next year?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders starter in 2023

• Derek Carr
    • Tom Brady
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Baker Mayfield
    • CJ Stroud
    • Bryce Young
    • Will Levis
    • Other (Please Specify)

On 1/25/2023 at 11:24 PM, NYRaider said:

That's all fine and dandy but I promise you Carr wouldn't get even close to his current deal in free agency. I'll literally never post on here again if we cut him and he signs a deal that's worth more than 3 yr/$121M.

Lol don’t do that please. NFL contracts when announced can seem bigger but ultimately are much smaller. NFL FA is unpredictable who knows what happens 

I just don’t see us getting any compensation back for a QB who will make 40M AAV. 

I don’t think Carr is worth that but FA is about overpaying 

9 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Brady is not coming. Wish cooler heads prevail and DC comes back. He would be so much better year 2 in that system. A shame that can’t happen 

Carr and Raiders are done. From the locker room, management and ownership it is over

• Like 1

Eagles and Chiefs just proved again how to make it to the Super Bowl.

Draft, develop a QB. If you pay a QB high salary, it should be a hall of fame caliber player who can make up for the shortcomings of the team with a bloated cap figure. Or a rookie salary QB who can perform like a pro bowler and use the savings on the rest of the roster

9 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Draft, develop a QB. If you pay a QB high salary, it should be a hall of fame caliber player who can make up for the shortcomings of the team with a bloated cap figure. Or a rookie salary QB who can perform like a pro bowler and use the savings on the rest of the roster

Completely agree with this.  Rookie QBs playing at a pro bowl level is definitely what we should be striving for.  

11 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

yes, essentially showing, if you dont have an elite QB, you need to build a very good team to compete. 
Heck even with an elite QB, you still need to build a very good team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Why would they need to be involved? The Raiders have his rights and can seek trades for him. They can feild the offers and present it to him and his camp. With Carr’s brothers airing the dirty laundry the Raiders aren’t obligated to do anything for him. 

18 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Why would they need to be involved? The Raiders have his rights and can seek trades for him. They can feild the offers and present it to him and his camp. With Carr’s brothers airing the dirty laundry the Raiders aren’t obligated to do anything for him. 

So DC and his team can determine whether or not they'd sign off on the trade.  Why even seek a trade if there's a chance DC declines to be traded to the team?  The Raiders would just be wasting their time.  They aren't really working together either way but the best course of action for both sides would be to work together.  But that's probably not happening.

2 minutes ago, Jerry said:

So DC and his team can determine whether or not they'd sign off on the trade.  Why even seek a trade if there's a chance DC declines to be traded to the team?  The Raiders would just be wasting their time.  They aren't really working together either way but the best course of action for both sides would be to work together.  But that's probably not happening.

In my third sentence I said they can field offers and present them to Carr. Having Carr do the negotiating could hamstring the Raiders. They Raiders have to try to get the best deal they can. 

54 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

In my third sentence I said they can field offers and present them to Carr. Having Carr do the negotiating could hamstring the Raiders. They Raiders have to try to get the best deal they can. 

I agree.  Like I said, the best course of action would be if they both work together.  But that's probably not going to happen.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/30/raiders-could-be-planning-to-squat-on-derek-carr-for-now/amp/

Man, if their wasn’t hard feeling before in Carr’s camp, there’s gotta be now.  Ziegler is straight up blocking him from seeking a trade. It’s like contract game of chicken, which side blinks?

Im guessing their trying to play Carr into dropping his NTC. Let’s him leave with some good vibes for Raiders fans.

But what happens if no one calls each other’s  bluff and  the Raiders say screw it and eat his 40 million to ensure they get the most draft capital?? How much more is that worth? That’s cold though…he sits out for a year or so and effectively retire him.  

im having Marcus Allen deja vu vibes. Not that Carr is on Allen’s level though. 

Edited by 101Raider

9 hours ago, Chali21 said:

I mean, he has a no trade clause. He holds all the cards. Typically the player will present the teams with a list of acceptable places. The player with the no trade clause is almost always involved in the trade process.  The better question is asking why is he not involved up to this point? It's strange.  If the team is trying to prevent him from talking to teams..... he can just say "nope, cut me" and we get nothing. 

I’ve been saying it’s not a guarantee that we can even trade him. Maybe the team realizes this and that’s why they’ve been so quick to crap all over him, true or not. Typically not something you do when trying to trade a player for the most you can get.