The New QB Thread: Who will be the Raiders QB next season?

RaidersAreOne

Who will be the Raiders QB next year?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders starter in 2023

• Derek Carr
    • Tom Brady
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Baker Mayfield
    • CJ Stroud
    • Bryce Young
    • Will Levis
    • Other (Please Specify)

4 hours ago, 101Raider said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/30/raiders-could-be-planning-to-squat-on-derek-carr-for-now/amp/

Man, if their wasn’t hard feeling before in Carr’s camp, there’s gotta be now.  Ziegler is straight up blocking him from seeking a trade. It’s like contract game of chicken, which side blinks?

Im guessing their trying to play Carr into dropping his NTC. Let’s him leave with some good vibes for Raiders fans.

But what happens if no one calls each other’s  bluff and  the Raiders say screw it and eat his 40 million to ensure they get the most draft capital?? How much more is that worth? That’s cold though…he sits out for a year or so and effectively retire him.  

im having Marcus Allen deja vu vibes. Not that Carr is on Allen’s level though. 

Saying the Raiders are blocking the trade by not allowing Carr to seek a trade is the same as saying Carr is blocking a trade by not waiving his no trade clause.  Both sides have leverage by not giving up these rights but it is slowing down the process.  This situation is more complicated than most trades but the first domino is not the Raiders giving Carr permission to talk to other teams.  It is finding out what teams Carr is willing to go to and then working on a trade with those teams.  This will be taking place at the senior bowl, east west shrine game, and pro bowl.  Then after a deal is agreed on you allow Carr to talk to the team to work out the contract.  If Carr is not allowed to talk to other teams shortly after the pro bowl then I would start to get worried.  When/if Carr and that team come to an agreement then the no trade clause will be waived.

7 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Saying the Raiders are blocking the trade by not allowing Carr to seek a trade is the same as saying Carr is blocking a trade by not waiving his no trade clause.  Both sides have leverage by not giving up these rights but it is slowing down the process.  This situation is more complicated than most trades but the first domino is not the Raiders giving Carr permission to talk to other teams.  It is finding out what teams Carr is willing to go to and then working on a trade with those teams.  This will be taking place at the senior bowl, east west shrine game, and pro bowl.  Then after a deal is agreed on you allow Carr to talk to the team to work out the contract.  If Carr is not allowed to talk to other teams shortly after the pro bowl then I would start to get worried.  When/if Carr and that team come to an agreement then the no trade clause will be waived.

Carr and his team could secure something under the table with a promise from a new team to sign him in fa after he pushes to be cut. Or carr and his camp could seek the team with the worst possible trade return to screw us over. It’s better that zieg handle it then bring teams to carr that’s beneficial for the raiders. 

• Like 1

All of this talk is coming from Albert Breer's article and a lot is being taken out of context:

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2023/01/30/nfl-championship-sunday-takeaways-chiefs-eagles-rodgers-jets-mmqb

This shapes up as an important week in the Carr saga. And that’s largely because this week is Senior Bowl week, which is the first tentpole event of the offseason when you get a big group of decision-makers (GMs, head coaches) in one place at one time.

I’m told Raiders GM Dave Ziegler will be making the trip. That’s significant, because if you look back at recent history, you’ll find that Mobile, Ala., is actually where the legwork for the Matthew Stafford deal got done two years ago—Lions GM Brad Holmes and COO Mike Disner made the trip, started talking with other teams there, and the deal with the Rams was done that Saturday. Conversely, it’s also where, years ago, contract talks between Washington and Kirk Cousins absolutely collapsed. So a lot of business gets done (or not done) there.

At this point, because there are still a bunch of head coach and offensive coordinator openings, and because the cap is still a moving target, the market for Carr hasn’t really materialized outside of conceptual conversations. As things advance, I’d think three of the NFC South teams (Saints, Panthers, Buccaneers) could throw hats in the ring, and maybe the Jets would, too (the Commanders and Colts are two others to consider, though they might be gun shy given their recent strikeouts on trades for second-chance veteran QBs).

My understanding as of right now is the Raiders have not granted Carr’s camp the ability to seek a trade. And even though there are the aforementioned teams out there with needs, dealing him before the Feb. 15 deadline—when his $32.9 million base for next year and $7.5 million of his 2024 money vests as fully guaranteed—won’t be easy. And he absolutely won’t be on the Raiders’ roster past that date, so there is the idea that teams that are interested in him should just wait for Las Vegas to cut him.

From there, there are a few questions.

• Why wouldn’t a team just wait for the Raiders to cut Carr? Obviously, you’d do it for the certainty of having your guy, and being able to start planning for 2023. The question, then, would be if someone would be willing to pay Carr $32.9 million next year, and effectively lock itself into him for ’24, or have to pay another $7.5 million before then to get out of it.

• Would Carr take a contract adjustment to facilitate a trade? The one reason why he might want to do it is the optics of getting traded are better than the optics of getting cut. And he’d be able to leave a team he spent nine years with on good terms.

• Why would Carr want to help the Raiders now? I actually have heard things aren’t on terrible terms between the team and quarterback, and that Carr’s handled all this professionally. So this isn’t one of those, at least I don’t think it is, where a player simply isn’t going to help the team out that he’s leaving.

• What else could gum up the works? With Rodgers’s name floated out there, and a ton of veteran quarterbacks (Garoppolo, Geno Smith, Baker Mayfield, Daniel Jones) potentially available at a cheaper rate, and not requiring draft picks for acquisition, teams might be content to wait until March to address the position.

Regardless, Carr has the advantage of knowing—whether he’s cut or traded—that he’ll be able to find a new home a month ahead of the market, and he has a no-trade clause to control his destination. So will the Raiders be able to swing a return for him? Or is he going to be the rare February free agent?

Stay tuned.

• Like 2

Hope I’m wrong, but it’s definitely looking like we could be stuck with our d*ck in our hand. Hopefully a little traction during sr bowl week. And.....hopefully we get a decent starting qb..... Brady could sign with someone else or retire. I’m taking all reports/articles with a grain of salt rt now. Lol

I asked from the start, why do they have to trade him by that deadline? Yes they avoid paying out his 2023 bonuses, but so what?

They have the cap space to carry him. He has value, so they can carry him until the right trade partner pops up and they can max their value back. 

Everyone thinking Carr holds the cards, I don't see it that way. They don't have to release him. They can pay him and then work a trade later in FA when the QB market is more viable.  Sure, there is some risk, but if Carr doesn't want to be there, he will agree to a trade eventually. 

Like one of these articles said, why let his people negotiate a trade with teams and have a wink and a nod agreement in place to sign him if he becomes a FA. Don't give them that power. 

The Raiders don't owe Carr a damn thing. Don't give him a release. Teams need QBs and you don't have to be desperate. Carry him until the right things unfold. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I asked from the start, why do they have to trade him by that deadline? Yes they avoid paying out his 2023 bonuses, but so what?

They have the cap space to carry him. He has value, so they can carry him until the right trade partner pops up and they can max their value back. 

Everyone thinking Carr holds the cards, I don't see it that way. They don't have to release him. They can pay him and then work a trade later in FA when the QB market is more viable.  Sure, there is some risk, but if Carr doesn't want to be there, he will agree to a trade eventually. 

Like one of these articles said, why let his people negotiate a trade with teams and have a wink and a nod agreement in place to sign him if he becomes a FA. Don't give them that power. 

The Raiders don't owe Carr a damn thing. Don't give him a release. Teams need QBs and you don't have to be desperate. Carry him until the right things unfold. 

Im pretty sure that they’d be on the hook for the 40 million for the entirety of 2023. Unless they get a first or 2 I can’t see them  justifying that. They could get two high value FAs with that money. 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I’ve said this from the beginning. We have leverage but it entails taking a hard line stance. Mike Brown did it with Carson Palmer and it netted two 1st round picks. Carr will have value but we just need time to maximize that value. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This is how I see it too, Raiders just need to be patient. 

• Like 1

Out of all our QB options, each one is a long shot. Brady, Rodgers, Mac Jones, even jimmy g as he supposedly wants the jets. 

It's going to be interesting, McDaniels won't get another year at 6-7 wins. He desperately needs a vet QB. We all know they don't want to start a rookie, but that may be our only option. Actually it's the one I probably prefer because it means we have to take one of the top 4 guys.