2023 Free Agency

Dessie

26 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Id agree on we haven’t drafted anyone high recently but nobody was complaining when we gave a big money contract to Littleton. We also signed Tahir Whitehead, wasnt that a big contract at the time? They weren’t 2nd tier FAs. 

The reality is in a 4-3/4-2-5 defense LB is the least important position, other than maybe NT so it’s not going to see as much investment. 

Maybe it's me but I never saw Littleton or Whitehead as difference makers. Whitehead was always nothing more than a 2 down thumper type.

Littleton had some hype in here but I never thought he was a great player who'd make a big difference.

1 minute ago, riceman80 said:

Maybe it's me but I never saw Littleton or Whitehead as difference makers. Whitehead was always nothing more than a 2 down thumper type.

Littleton had some hype in here but I never thought he was a great player who'd make a big difference.

Wasn't Littleton All-Pro for a Super Bowl team? I was hyped on him.

37 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Course you didn’t.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You need to stop overvaluing these washed LBs just because they are a familiar name. Johnson is awful. Poor in coverage. Gets washed out in the run game. Weak at the point of attack and hitting his run fits. He's washed, same as Jack and Cunningham. 

When did I overvalued these guys. Show me that post. I was simply asking the question of what did the team with the better defense see that we didn't that made them sign this player(regardless of name) that we also had in for a work out. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Wasn't Littleton All-Pro for a Super Bowl team? I was hyped on him.

Littleton was like a top 10 linebacker in a lot of circles and the top FA LB that season. He proved to be another former Rams standout player they didn’t resigned who was never as good as they were with them. John Johnson III another example

• Like 1

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

It really is. And it spans multiple front offices and coaching staffs. Heck, Del Rio and McKenzie were both former LBs and ignored it. 

Before McClain it was 1994 Rob Fredrickson and I think a 2nd rounder too...Before that Aaron Wallace. I remember the TV people saying Al didn't like taking LB's high in the draft. Matt Millen?!? Usually we got our LB's off of other teams rosters. 

8 hours ago, Dessie said:

Course you didn’t.

It was 2 years removed from his one Pro Bowl season he had. And that one good year was Aaron Donald's greatest season and he also had Ndamukong Suh and Michael Brockers in front of him. Always thought he was just a product of the talent in front of him.

And hindsight would say that was a correct assumption

• Like 2

1 hour ago, riceman80 said:

It was 2 years removed from his one Pro Bowl season he had. And that one good year was Aaron Donald's greatest season and he also had Ndamukong Suh and Michael Brockers in front of him. Always thought he was just a product of the talent in front of him.

And hindsight would say that was a correct assumption

If you said this at the time fair play, but at this point it’s just hindsight. Nobody on here was questioning the move for Littleton.

Edited by Dessie

19 hours ago, Dessie said:

Id agree on we haven’t drafted anyone high recently but nobody was complaining when we gave a big money contract to Littleton. We also signed Tahir Whitehead, wasnt that a big contract at the time? They weren’t 2nd tier FAs. 

The reality is in a 4-3/4-2-5 defense LB is the least important position, other than maybe NT so it’s not going to see as much investment. 

I disagree I think the lb is one of the most important players on the field off or def. As a coach might be diff in the nfl but that’s usually who I give the plays to and they usually call the defense and are the liaison between the dline and dbs and imo a huge reason our defense has been struggling. Someone said death by 1000 papercuts we stay getting carved over the middle. Have no answer for the Kelsey’s and ecklers. I’m hoping Diablo can grow into that guy but I wish we didn’t ignore the position the way we do. 

imo you need at least 1 dogg at all three levels dl, lb and dt. All the best defenses have that. We were at our best with beikerts and romo

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dessie said:

If you said this at the time fair play, but at this point it’s just hindsight. Nobody on here was questioning the move for Littleton.

If we still have to pay Littleton why did we let him leave. I’m not a contract guy but that never made sense to me

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I disagree I think the lb is one of the most important players on the field off or def. As a coach might be diff in the nfl but that’s usually who I give the plays to and they usually call the defense and are the liaison between the dline and dbs and imo a huge reason our defense has been struggling. Someone said death by 1000 papercuts we stay getting carved over the middle. Have no answer for the Kelsey’s and ecklers. I’m hoping Diablo can grow into that guy but I wish we didn’t ignore the position the way we do. 

imo you need at least 1 dogg at all three levels dl, lb and dt. All the best defenses have that. We were at our best with beikerts and romo

DE, CB, NCB, S, DT all more important than LB in a 4-3/4-2-5 scheme imo. Where would you rank LB against those positions? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dessie said:

DE, CB, NCB, S, DT all more important than LB in a 4-3/4-2-5 scheme imo. Where would you rank LB against those positions? 

For example look at the niners defense 

you telling me their dbs are more valuable than Warner?

only player more valuable than warner is maybe bosa 

39 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

For example look at the niners defense 

you telling me their dbs are more valuable than Warner?

only player more valuable than warner is maybe bosa 

Do the 49ers run the same scheme as us? 

As RBs value has decreased so has chase and tackle LBs, if you can pick a great one fine but otherwise there is better value to be had. 

Edited by Dessie

36 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Do the 49ers run the same scheme as us? 

As RBs value has decreased so has chase and tackle LBs, if you can pick a great one fine but otherwise there is better value to be had. 

Don’t the niners run 4 man fronts you were referring to in your question?

you honestly think the niners dbs are more valuable than Warner…that’s beyond interesting 

I obviously don’t but everyone is entitled to their own opinion