2023 Free Agency

Dessie

Yes I totally forgot about him. Probably because we traded him for Moss if I recall. Yep just looked it up and wow he's a politician now...

Oh wow, those were the days before I knew about forums and message boards and things and I used to get a book or was it a magazine that had the breakdowns of the draft and season preview so I’d learn about them but I’d have no idea if they were any good…… I think it was Lindy’s. 

In fact I just bought this years magazine to take with me on holiday to Lanzarote for reading!

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Yes I totally forgot about him. Probably because we traded him for Moss if I recall. Yep just looked it up and wow he's a politician now...

Oh wow, those were the days before I knew about forums and message boards and things and I used to get a book or was it a magazine that had the breakdowns of the draft and season preview so I’d learn about them but I’d have no idea if they were any good…… I think it was Lindy’s. 

In fact I just bought this years magazine to take with me on holiday to Lanzarote for reading!

I also had Lindy's and a couple others not as good IMO. I threw them all away (maybe 2 decades worth) just the past few years. Covid made me want to 'clean house' and I stopped buying them once covid hit. Probably why I'm losing interest as I use to spend several hours reading about every player and then repicking Raiders drafts to make us the best team. In the 90's many of my friends thought I'd get into broadcasting but back then I preferred being behind the camera. I never got into Madden or Fantasy but I was a source for my friends who did. I just had passion, a love for the game and an obsessive/addictive personality. lol  Now I do that in stocks.  😃

Edited by G
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, G said:

I also had Lindy's and a couple others not as good IMO. I threw them all away (maybe 2 decades worth) just the past few years. Covid made me want to 'clean house' and I stopped buying them once covid hit. Probably why I'm losing interest as I use to spend several hours reading about every player and then repicking Raiders drafts to make us the best team. In the 90's many of my friends thought I'd get into broadcasting but back then I preferred being behind the camera. I never got into Madden or Fantasy but I was a source for my friends who did. I just had passion, a love for the game and an obsessive/addictive personality. lol  Now I do that in stocks.  😃

Ah, that’s interesting. Lindy’s I buy every year to take on holiday and like you read through every team whilst I’m drying off by the pool! I have no interest in Fantasy Football either but I do dabble in stocks and crypto a bit, I do enjoy trying out different strategies and I’m currently testing and trialling Trends and RSI and that seems to be going really consistently 😀

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

I think the biggest thing about LBs, is every 2 seasons or so we change schemes. 
we will pick up a run lb and ask him to play the pass, and then be sad when he isnt great for us.

similar to when the eagles took Nnamdi from us and made him play zone. 

you need an identity before you can start picking and choosing proven lbs.
we havent had an identity on D for a long time. 

we will sign players who thrive in specific roles, and ask them to do a lot more or differnet things than what theyve done before. 

Joyner was a slot CB, called a safety, that we put primarly at safety and get mad when it doesnt work. 

let players play to their strengths. 
Abrams, was a mess no doubt, but putting him into coverage did no one any favors either. he is a down hill player (who struggles at that as well lol)

Imo a good lb core is the difference between a top 10 defense and a bottom third defense. Eventually you gonna have to draft a lb first or second round. Just look at lb draft history…

2023 draft-3 first round lbs

2022- 2 first lbs

2021- 5 first lbs

2020- 4

thats not even talking about 2nd rd lbs

so yea we’re just one of the few only team that doesn’t draft lbs high and arguably the worst ranked defense. But hey prolly just a coincidence right…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Imo a good lb core is the difference between a top 10 defense and a bottom third defense. Eventually you gonna have to draft a lb first or second round. Just look at lb draft history…

2023 draft-3 first round lbs

2022- 2 first lbs

2021- 5 first lbs

2020- 4

thats not even talking about 2nd rd lbs

so yea we’re just one of the few only team that doesn’t draft lbs high and arguably the worst ranked defense. But hey prolly just a coincidence right…

I would say the heart of the defence is at DT and we’ve not hit on a draft pick DT since Darrell Russell really and that was tragically short lived. Tommy Kelly was good as an UDFA and Shelby Harris was solid but we let him go. So I’d say it correlates more to the bad defence with interior DLine than LB IMO though obviously it’s good to have both if possible.

Edited to add I forgot about Roderick Coleman too, he was the last really good DT we drafted all those years ago………

Edited by Darbsk

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I would say the heart of the defence is at DT and we’ve not hit on a draft pick DT since Darrell Russell really and that was tragically short lived. Tommy Kelly was good as an UDFA and Shelby Harris was solid but we let him go. So I’d say it correlates more to the bad defence with interior DLine than LB IMO though obviously it’s good to have both if possible.

Edited to add I forgot about Roderick Coleman too, he was the last really good DT we drafted all those years ago………

We haven’t hit on many picks in reality unfortunately especially early. DE, CB, DT are the main positions for the defense only have to look how many CBs were taken in the first round this year to see how important a position it is. 

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

We had Chester McGlockton when we took Russell and played Russell at DE at first because of Chester. Del Rio would have loved all that beef in the middle of his D. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dessie said:

We haven’t hit on many picks in reality unfortunately especially early. DE, CB, DT are the main positions for the defense only have to look how many CBs were taken in the first round this year to see how important a position it is. 

• Quarterback: 113
  • Running Back: 229
  • Wide Receiver: 319
  • Tight End: 144
  • Offensive Line: 425
  • Defensive Line: 441
  • Linebacker: 320
  • Cornerback: 210
  • Safety: 128
  • Kicker/Punter: 37

last ten years nfl drafted by position 

interesting

6 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:
  • Quarterback: 113
  • Running Back: 229
  • Wide Receiver: 319
  • Tight End: 144
  • Offensive Line: 425
  • Defensive Line: 441
  • Linebacker: 320
  • Cornerback: 210
  • Safety: 128
  • Kicker/Punter: 37

last ten years nfl drafted by position 

interesting

What’s interesting about this?? 

12 hours ago, G said:

We had Chester McGlockton when we took Russell and played Russell at DE at first because of Chester. Del Rio would have loved all that beef in the middle of his D. 

McGlockton is one of the most underrated DTs we've ever had, super player and for such a huge dude he could cause some disruption in there for sure. Both of those guys now sadly no longer with us.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 1:23 PM, Darbsk said:

Ah, that’s interesting. Lindy’s I buy every year to take on holiday and like you read through every team whilst I’m drying off by the pool! I have no interest in Fantasy Football either but I do dabble in stocks and crypto a bit, I do enjoy trying out different strategies and I’m currently testing and trialling Trends and RSI and that seems to be going really consistently 😀

I fly a lot. And airplane WiFi can be spotty at times. Lindy's and Athlon's preseason mags are an annual blessing for me. Have every one dating back to 2002. 

Probably won't ever be worth anything, but I've amassed a pretty solid collection of them over the last couple of years. I'll typically be at an airport where the cover of the magazine will be of the "local" team. So far, I have 2018-2023 of every edition I'm aware of. Have them on a bookshelf in my office, stacked together like encyclopedias. Definitely not monetarily worth the $350 or so I spend on them per year, but fun little collection nonetheless. 

• Like 2