2018 NFL Draft Prospect Pro Comps

Rich7sena

23 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Parry Nickerson = Patrick Robinson

Love him as a slot CB prospect

I compared him to Orlando Scandrick and have an early 3rd round grade on him. Scandrick ultimately became a strictly slot guy for the Cowboys and had some good years when healthy. I think Nickerson could be a quality starter in the slot.

I have been watching a TON of Kyzir White since we drafted him, and I had been trying to figure out who he reminds me of, and I finally figured it out.  He's almost a carbon copy of Su'a Cravens.  He's a little taller/leaner than Su'a, but they're play is really similar to me.  Then I went and looked up their testing numbers.

White: 6'2" 218lbs, 4.69 40, 4.26ss, 6.96 3cone, 35.5" vert, 9'5" broad (but then he put up a 10'6" at his pro day so ???? Watched it on nfl.com and it looked like he screwed up his landing)

Cravens: 6'1" 225, 4.66 40, 4.24ss, 6.94 3cone, 30.5" vert (and was 27" at the combine), 9'6" broad

Only even remotely noticeable difference is in the vert (and broad if we're taking pro day numbers), where White blew him away.  Both S's in college, converting to Will LB's in the pros, and very instinctual players who play way faster than their timed speed and LOVE to hit.  I'm convinced that if their path to get to the NFL was the same (Cravens being a 5* recruit to USC, and White being a former JUCO WR going to WVU), they would probably be drafted in the same range. The only big difference I can see with Cravens is that he was much more polished with his hands. His ability to shoot his hands and keep himself clean was better.  White flashes that ability to, just not consistently enough yet. I'm really excited about White and what he can do on this defense....

1 hour ago, Duffman57 said:

I have been watching a TON of Kyzir White since we drafted him, and I had been trying to figure out who he reminds me of, and I finally figured it out.  He's almost a carbon copy of Su'a Cravens.  He's a little taller/leaner than Su'a, but they're play is really similar to me.  Then I went and looked up their testing numbers.

White: 6'2" 218lbs, 4.69 40, 4.26ss, 6.96 3cone, 35.5" vert, 9'5" broad (but then he put up a 10'6" at his pro day so ???? Watched it on nfl.com and it looked like he screwed up his landing)

Cravens: 6'1" 225, 4.66 40, 4.24ss, 6.94 3cone, 30.5" vert (and was 27" at the combine), 9'6" broad

Only even remotely noticeable difference is in the vert (and broad if we're taking pro day numbers), where White blew him away.  Both S's in college, converting to Will LB's in the pros, and very instinctual players who play way faster than their timed speed and LOVE to hit.  I'm convinced that if their path to get to the NFL was the same (Cravens being a 5* recruit to USC, and White being a former JUCO WR going to WVU), they would probably be drafted in the same range. The only big difference I can see with Cravens is that he was much more polished with his hands. His ability to shoot his hands and keep himself clean was better.  White flashes that ability to, just not consistently enough yet. I'm really excited about White and what he can do on this defense....

Plus White craves football, Cravens doesn't.

2 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Plus White craves football, Cravens doesn't.

I hate that you did this.  Also you have to give Cravens some credit for taking a year to take his health into consideration, as someone in that field, I respect the hell out of that.

On 4/23/2018 at 7:59 PM, Ozzy said:

Hard to do because Chubb has such a more productive college career.  Chubb had more tackles for loss in one season than Griffen did his entire career in college.  Chubb will be a top 5-10 pick and Griffen was a 4th rounder.  To Chubb's credit he is just as good of athlete as Griffen but Griffen in college to me was more of a potential 3/4 OLB with the athletic ability and quickness he had.  Chubb is just straight out strong and is a totally legit 4/3 DE and holds the point of attack better than Griffen.  Griffen now sure has molded into a fine DE but it took him a little while, he wins with great effort and burst off the ball, not sure Chubb will need that to win at the line of scrimmage, will see.  

But sure on paper in terms of size they are similar and have similar numbers in the combine roughly.  Totally different levels though in terms of what they are as prospects coming out of college though.

On 4/24/2018 at 6:17 AM, Rich7sena said:

I've always found the best way to approach pro comps is to compare prospects to pros, not prospects to prospects. Griffen was more of a developmental prospect than Chubb, but I believe their games are parallel.

On 4/24/2018 at 7:49 AM, Ozzy said:

Possibly, but if Chubb is as weak at the point of attack as Griffen and only makes 3 Pro Bowls in 8 years, could argue for a top 5-10 pick that would be a disappointment.  Expectations are different considering where you are drafted, Griffen is a great success where he was drafted, would be different if he was a top 5 pick.  I just feel Chubb is a long stronger and potentially a more well rounded player especially against the run.

The Griffen comp doesn't work because Chubb excels at the point of attack.   

Chubb's biggest problem is comp'ing him is that his best skills are not Combine ones.   His Combine performance does highlight where he's not elite (short-area quickness).   His film shows where he shines.   

I'd say Jadaveon Clowney, but not the pre-injury version, but also not as limited in pass-rush as the post-injury version.  

19 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The Griffen comp doesn't work because Chubb excels at the point of attack.   

Chubb's biggest problem is comp'ing him is that his best skills are not Combine ones.   His Combine performance does highlight where he's not elite (short-area quickness).   His film shows where he shines.   

I'd say Jadaveon Clowney, but not the pre-injury version, but also not as limited in pass-rush as the post-injury version.  

I see Michael Strahan. Pass rush skills, technically sound, sets a great edge. Similar builds.

Otherwise I’d say he’s a more athletic Terrell Suggs.

11 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I see Michael Strahan. Pass rush skills, technically sound, sets a great edge. Similar builds.

Otherwise I’d say he’s a more athletic Terrell Suggs.

Suggs would be a great comp for the Combine raising concerns that missed what he did best.  But remember in 2003, Suggs' only ran a 40-yard dash.    His 4.84 time dropped him.  Ironically, Chubb's 40 time reassured many believers, while his slow 3-cone time is what has people concerned.   Suggs was an insane athlete - lettered in basketball & track.  If he had done a 3-cone, it's hard to believe it would have been as meh - I think it would have highlighted how special his athletic traits were - just not in straight-line speed.  It's hard to be more athletic than Suggs IRL.  The "Combine underestimated his football skills" comp works, though.

Strahan would be great, obv. The motor and run D prowess I see.   I would be floored if Chubb had those pass rush chops.   I'd like to be wrong there, obviously.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Suggs would be a great comp for the Combine raising concerns that missed what he did best.  But remember in 2003, Suggs' only ran a 40-yard dash.    His 4.84 time dropped him.  Ironically, Chubb's 40 time reassured many believers, while his slow 3-cone time is what has people concerned.   Suggs was an insane athlete - lettered in basketball & track.  If he had done a 3-cone, it's hard to believe it would have been as meh - I think it would have highlighted how special his athletic traits were - just not in straight-line speed.  It's hard to be more athletic than Suggs IRL.  The "Combine underestimated his football skills" comp works, though.

Strahan would be great, obv. The motor and run D prowess I see.   I would be floored if Chubb had those pass rush chops.   I'd like to be wrong there, obviously.

I understand those great components that Suggs brings to the table for sure, but being a Ravens fan and having watched him his whole career and watching Bradley Chubb, Chubb is definitely the better athlete. A lack of great burst off the edge is what has allowed Suggs to have only a fringe HOF level career given his elite ability to set the edge and his elite hand usage.

Chubb’s hand usage is special. He’s got a great bull rush move, understands leverage, he’s got an elite edge, and great burst off the edge. I think his game is built for the NFL. Combine that with his motor and he will simply wear OTs down as the game wears on. Same as Strahan used to do. He won’t look as dominant physically as a guy like DeMarcus Ware, but it won’t matter because every snap will be a chess match going up against Chubb. One that he will play patiently, until his opponent is left fatigued mentally and then he’s got them.

Archived