2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

13 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Yeah 13 alone is too much. Then assuming we would have to give up more. I thought the conditional scenarios everyone was throwing out there was a fantasy but I really hope it doesn’t cost 13+ 

Everyone loves Douglas vision and the way he’s building the team and now they want to ditch that plan to go after a 40 year old who’s flirting with retirement.

All for the sake of a playoff berth. People are saying just marginally better QB play would have the Jets in position to win it all yet are willing to mortgage premium picks+ and a ton of cash for a 40 year old QB. It doesn’t add up. Woody will spend but if it blows up in his face he’ll be penny pinching again and raising PSL’s. We’ve done this dance before. 

5 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

All for the sake of a playoff berth. People are saying just marginally better QB play would have the Jets in position to win it all yet are willing to mortgage premium picks+ and a ton of cash for a 40 year old QB. It doesn’t add up. Woody will spend but if it blows up in his face he’ll be penny pinching again and raising PSL’s. We’ve done this dance before. 

Apparently a lot of us fans are Senior Citizens.

6 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

When? With Favre when he hurt his shoulder? And we were arguably the best team in the NFL before he got injured.

• Like 1

Lol I'm not giving up the 13th pick for a QB who is literally going into Darkness to decide if he wants to play for one more season. 

I don't think that's really the price though because of all this, his age, and his insane cap hits coming. 

I do believe he is our top priority,  but I hope we set up a meeting with Carr during Rodgers' break. If he takes too long or requires the 13th, I want to move on. I love when teams stay aggressive,  so I want us to act like we have a chance but the cons are starting to catch up with the pros with Rodgers.  

46 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Is there a better QB option out there than Rodgers?

He certainly gives us the best chance of winning in 2023. Even more so than Lamar as his cap is low for 2023 so we could build the talent around him.

However it’s very much SB or bust because as others have pointed out it will mess up our cap for the years he’s being paid but likely retired. Is it possible Rodgers could play another 4 years though?! 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Is there a better QB option out there than Rodgers?

I’m pro going for Rodgers.

But I can totally understand the stance of people who don’t want him.

I think on here I’ve only heard one or 2 people say they think he’s lost it after a down year last year. I think that’s BS. He had a new OC, new WRs and a broken finger. It’s not like last time he was good was 5 years ago. This is a guy that had mvp seasons in 2020 and 2021. So he still has it. So I don’t agree with anyone with the stance of him not being elite.

The part it do get in not wanting him is draft capital and paying for a guy that likely for sure we’d be paying a huge sum to, for 2 years after he retires. And I get not wanting to give up a ton of draft capital for likely a 2 year window.

Reports are now that likely we’d have to part with our 13th pick. That’s huge. The idea of trading future 1sts wasn’t all that bad assuming those picks for sure would be in the 20s (hopefully late 20s or even 30s). And I’m sure we’d have to give up even more if LV is offering their 7th overall pick. So I get this stance.

For me as a team that needs to win and make the playoffs and make a SB run… I’d still do the 13th pick and a tad more (maybe like 2024 3rd that goes to a 2nd if he plays in 2024). And that’s it. Anything more than that and I switch over to going all in on Carr.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Apparently a lot of us fans are Senior Citizens.

Yes a lot of us are old & crazy but we are not stupid, I say this again till it sinks in.

2009 Sanchez 5 over all pick in the draft    failed

2013   G Smith  39  overall pick in the draft failed with us not with   other teams

2016  Hackenberg second round pick 51 in second round  failed

2018  Darnold  third over all pick in the draft  failed

2021  Z Wilson second overall pick in the draft failed.

This is the reason why we don't have a QB on our Roster.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I am interested to see if we do in fact make the trade for Rodgers… how much else we go all in. Those vets that want that ring might want to come here on the cheap all of a sudden.

BINGO!!!! When you add a guy like Rodgers you will see some good vet guys coming here giving it their all for that last chance for a ring. I want to be that team. We have not had that since Rex. Guys like Jimmy Ward who will come here cheap to fill in the S spot with Whitehead for that last chance. Then you add nice depth like a Robert Woods who would be WR4. Then you add some more parts like a Suh to beef up the DT spot. 

Yes I'm getting up there too at 44 and I'm so tired of the losing. The young bucks have no idea what it is like being a Jets fan. If you have been a Jets fan for 10 years you have not seen anything yet, This team is very well known as the heartbreak team. Just to put it in view at almost 40 years of being a Jet fan. Yes I started to watch it when I was 6 years old. 

I have NEVER seen the Jets in the Super Bowl

I have seen the Jets in only 10 season of making the playoffs. First one was 1985 and the last one was 2010. GROSS!

I have seen 18 playoff games. Yup 18 total playoff games in my life.

I have seen the Jets in 3 AFC championship games and 2 broken TV's. Yes they where crushing loses all 3. 

I have seen the jets pick in the top 10 countless times with countless misses. 

Ya it is VERY bad young bucks. You do what ever it takes to get there. I will leave you with this last thing. DON'T WORRY ABOUT CAP NUMBERS!!!! Those days are long gone guys. This is just a topic the media needs to keep football alive in the offseason. In the last few years all these teams in Cap Hell are out of it in one year. 

I think Carr is getting a bad rap. He's played under how many coaches? 6? And just as many OC!

6 Coaches in 9 years...Gimme a break.

I'm guessing on the coaches and OC, but he's been through the ringer with ownership.

Coaching matters, and Carr has had terrible coaching throughout his career.

So I have to believe Carr wants stability at his position, a reliable OC and coach. But can the Jets give him that? Here is where Carolina comes in, Frank Reich I believe could be the answer for this guy, not that the Jets could not provide that.

But I think Carr does not lack confidence, or talent, but if the coaching is not there it can make all the difference in the world.

20 hours ago, xrade said:

A part of the problem?  Perhaps.  By that logic anytime a team loses the QB is part of the problem.  However, that is not necessarily so.  We lost a game this year on a punt return TD as time expired.  We lost another by blown coverage against a freakin' TE.  The point is that W's and L's are a team effort.  Period.  Some games the QB loses it and some games some other unit is to blame. 

When fans spout W's and L's for a unit or a player or a coach it is the most lazy way of defining the subject in question.  Say it enough and people start to believe it.  Carr is not the main reason they have not won a playoff game. and no, the are not unequivocally relevant for a QB. Only for a team.

Here is Carr's stats for the 2021 playoff game against the Bengals.  Waller, Renfro and Zay Jones are his top receivers.

Player Tm Cmp Att Yds TD Int Sk Yds Lng Rate Att Yds TD Lng Tgt Rec Yds TD Lng Fmb FL
Derek Carr LVR 29 54 310 1 1 3 28 26 69.2 1 20 0 20 0 0 0 0 0 1 1

This was his only playoff game.  Cook was QB in the 2016 playoff game.  Not sure why the team not winning in Carr's only playoff game against the eventual SB contenders has even become a thing.

I specifically wrote it's not solely a reflection of Carr, in reference to his record vs. winning teams, but the sample size is more than enough to suggest he’s part of the problem — Some games the QB loses it and some games some other unit is to blame — absolutely, and if we were talking about a young player my point would be irrelevant, which is why sample size is everything. People continue to act as if Carr has never had a good team around him, which is simply not true. Some really good QBs have notoriously struggled to win big games. Carr, who has narrowly missed the playoffs numerous times, is 14-45 against winning teams. At what point do you notice a trend?

Lazy is posting bulk statistics without insight — I wanted to contextualize his production by suggesting empty stats can be misleading. Quite the opposite. And, I never criticized Carr for his one playoff game. I questioned his record vs. winning opponents.