2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

At the end of the day I see Rodgers going for a value more of like 2 2nds rounders

I think it will be even less than that.  GB has no leverage here.  If Rodgers wants to go, GB will not stop him.  The only issue will be if Rodgers has more than one team in which case a draft bidding war could ensue.  But since JD is also high on Carr, I do not think he would even offer 2 SRP's.  Now if Carr looks like he may go elsewhere, then.....

14 minutes ago, xrade said:

I think it will be even less than that.  GB has no leverage here.  If Rodgers wants to go, GB will not stop him.  The only issue will be if Rodgers has more than one team in which case a draft bidding war could ensue.  But since JD is also high on Carr, I do not think he would even offer 2 SRP's.  Now if Carr looks like he may go elsewhere, then.....

Or if Carr is asking for a crazy contract. Remember no one has talked about what kind of contract he will want yet. How many years guaranteed and such might be big. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greene N White said:

Not very far at all from Carr’s supposedly terrible 47-63 record as a starter

The whole Raiders D thing is just to counter the teams W-L record being attributed to Carr.  Using W's and L's to define any player is just silly.  The important thing to look at for any QB is how HE did on the field.  Unless any of us were watching him, we have no choice but to look at stats which can also be a bit misleading.  Looking at the QBR over the last 5 years for Carr, he is in the top half of the league.  He sits around the 10-14 range in terms of positioning vs other QB's.  He is what many of us think he is;  a slightly better than average QB.  Compared to Jets QB's in that same time frame, he is a lot better.

Carr will make this offense better and if the D can continue to play as well as it did, we will be in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, xrade said:

The whole Raiders D thing is just to counter the teams W-L record being attributed to Carr.  Using W's and L's to define any player is just silly.  The important thing to look at for any QB is how HE did on the field.  Unless any of us were watching him, we have no choice but to look at stats which can also be a bit misleading.  Looking at the QBR over the last 5 years for Carr, he is in the top half of the league.  He sits around the 10-14 range in terms of positioning vs other QB's.  He is what many of us think he is;  a slightly better than average QB.  Compared to Jets QB's in that same time frame, he is a lot better.

Carr will make this offense better and if the D can continue to play as well as it did, we will be in the playoffs.

Agreed 100% on all of this. The only reason I bring up those statistics is because there are people out there who actually try to knock the guy for not winning enough. It's pretty ridiculous.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Sauce has been hanging around OBJ and he said he is trying to get him in a Jet uniform. This could be Davis replacement guy if the Jets cut him. 

I would also like Hopkins if they go with Rodgers but if Carr I would take OBJ. 

I want that cancer no where near this team. OBJ is done. Rather keep Davis.

1 hour ago, Greene N White said:

Agreed 100% on all of this. The only reason I bring up those statistics is because there are people out there who actually try to knock the guy for not winning enough. It's pretty ridiculous.

You talk about being ridiculous, Danial Jones of the Giants wants Patrick Mahomes money .For the last 2 1[2 the Giants were talking about moving on from Jones.

2 hours ago, Dr.O said:

Taylor Lewan makes a ton of sense with all the Tennessee connections we have on our coaching staff

Eh. I could be k with it. But wouldn't love it. It would be a safe signing for Becton and the draft. Even Mitchell you could throw in that.

How are we gonna trade for Rodgers or sign Carr and bring in all these other guys? The cap is a "myth" but it's still an obstacle. We also gotta re-sign QWill.

On top of that guys want vets, on decent contracts, cut. Rankins wants big money, we don't have an in house replacement for him and we still need a Safety, Linebacker and several OL. 

Douglas has to work some magic. 

12 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

How are we gonna trade for Rodgers or sign Carr and bring in all these other guys? The cap is a "myth" but it's still an obstacle. We also gotta re-sign QWill.

On top of that guys want vets, on decent contracts, cut. Rankins wants big money, we don't have an in house replacement for him and we still need a Safety, Linebacker and several OL. 

Douglas has to work some magic. 

Resigning Q should actually save us cap this year. Because we likely lower his cap hit this year compared to what his 5th year option shows for our cap this year. That’s a way to move around money is signing him long term.

Rankins I think will want to stay and like Berrios last year might be “asking” for a good amount. But my guess is he comes down to earth and resigns a team friendly deal.

S: I’d like to see us bring Ward in for cheap. A for sure starter that knows the system with ties to us that won’t break the bank. Keep developing Parks or even draft a guy.

LB: I think Quincy won’t cost as much as he thinks he might get. Continue playing with his brother and such is a huge sell for us to get him to stay and take perhaps less money. And Kwon should be cheap as well with his injuries past. Still want us to draft a guy here as well. I do feel like we can get a good LB in the mid rounds this year.

OL: I assume we resign Herbig for depth and he should be cheap. I’m 50/50 on what I think we do with McG. I want to say as a fan I want us to let him walk. But that’s with me eyeing a few C in the draft. It’s not that simple as a GM though. I see us letting McG walk and signing a cheap vet type that can start but as insurance in case the draft doesn’t go our way. But I’d still think we’d like to draft a starting C in the 2nd-4th round area. And let the best man win in camp. Starting OT we have Becton and Mitchell back healthy. I think Mitchell is actually getting overlooked by a lot. Kid was never supposed to start last year and given he was a project that got thrown in too fast. He did quite well. An off-season for him to gain some weight and learn technique and all can only help. Not eliminating him as a potential starting OT for us. And for sure see him as that insurance bc of Bectons health history. Brown is under contract but can retire or be cut post 6/1 for barely anything. So yes another OT is a need. Not sure we go the draft route or FA route. Lewan just got cut and Bak might get cut. 2 vet names if we’re looking to win now that likely would take a cheaper deal to try and win a SB. Then there always the draft. Ideally at 13 we go OT. All depends how FA shakes out and if we trade for anyone. But there’s 3 OTs that I like that are worthy of that spot for me. And I “think” at least 1 should be there at 13 (Sko, Paris, Jones).

So I don’t see it as hard as it seems.

I also think when players see the FO making moves to win now. They’re likely to move money around to accommodate. JFM, Laken, Reed, etc. So we can make it all work.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Resigning Q should actually save us cap this year. Because we likely lower his cap hit this year compared to what his 5th year option shows for our cap this year. That’s a way to move around money is signing him long term.

Rankins I think will want to stay and like Berrios last year might be “asking” for a good amount. But my guess is he comes down to earth and resigns a team friendly deal.

S: I’d like to see us bring Ward in for cheap. A for sure starter that knows the system with ties to us that won’t break the bank. Keep developing Parks or even draft a guy.

LB: I think Quincy won’t cost as much as he thinks he might get. Continue playing with his brother and such is a huge sell for us to get him to stay and take perhaps less money. And Kwon should be cheap as well with his injuries past. Still want us to draft a guy here as well. I do feel like we can get a good LB in the mid rounds this year.

OL: I assume we resign Herbig for depth and he should be cheap. I’m 50/50 on what I think we do with McG. I want to say as a fan I want us to let him walk. But that’s with me eyeing a few C in the draft. It’s not that simple as a GM though. I see us letting McG walk and signing a cheap vet type that can start but as insurance in case the draft doesn’t go our way. But I’d still think we’d like to draft a starting C in the 2nd-4th round area. And let the best man win in camp. Starting OT we have Becton and Mitchell back healthy. I think Mitchell is actually getting overlooked by a lot. Kid was never supposed to start last year and given he was a project that got thrown in too fast. He did quite well. An off-season for him to gain some weight and learn technique and all can only help. Not eliminating him as a potential starting OT for us. And for sure see him as that insurance bc of Bectons health history. Brown is under contract but can retire or be cut post 6/1 for barely anything. So yes another OT is a need. Not sure we go the draft route or FA route. Lewan just got cut and Bak might get cut. 2 vet names if we’re looking to win now that likely would take a cheaper deal to try and win a SB. Then there always the draft. Ideally at 13 we go OT. All depends how FA shakes out and if we trade for anyone. But there’s 3 OTs that I like that are worthy of that spot for me. And I “think” at least 1 should be there at 13 (Sko, Paris, Jones).

So I don’t see it as hard as it seems.

I also think when players see the FO making moves to win now. They’re likely to move money around to accommodate. JFM, Laken, Reed, etc. So we can make it all work.

I think the cap thing is a joke. It use to be a problem years ago but now teams have so many loop holes to get under it I NEVER worry about it. Even when a team goes into "Cap Hell" it is only for a season and that next season they have 100 mill of free cap. The old days you would see 3 years or so. 

My question to you all is WHEN WAS THE LAST TEAM IN CAP HELL AND HOW LONG DID IT LAST??? 

53 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

My question to you all is WHEN WAS THE LAST TEAM IN CAP HELL AND HOW LONG DID IT LAST??? 

New Orleans for the last couple of years and still in cap hell.  As long as they keep restructuring their high $ players, this will continue for them.  That method is fine when you have a winning team with a chance at the SB, but once that dries up as it did with NO when Brees retired, it takes a while to get back to being able to rebuild.  They met with Carr.  There is almost no way they can afford to sign him without cutting a bunch of low $ players leaving the team barren.  They can't cut their high $ players because it would leave them with a massive cap hit.  They sold out to win and are now paying the price and will continue to do so until they finally stop with the restructures and go into full rebuild mode.

Edited by xrade

52 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think the cap thing is a joke. It use to be a problem years ago but now teams have so many loop holes to get under it I NEVER worry about it. Even when a team goes into "Cap Hell" it is only for a season and that next season they have 100 mill of free cap. The old days you would see 3 years or so. 

cap hell season are legit. See, Rams last year, possibly this year

Tampa is likely to have one of those this season.  Why you normally see a team with 100 mill the following season is they have to bite the bullet and just suck for a year because they can't afford anyone. Once all the dead money comes off, then they have a bunch free because they couldn't sign anyone the previous season