2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

3 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

I am dead set against it. Even if he were a perfect teammate, the idea of a one year rental when we're a lot more than just a QB away from a Super Bowl turns me off. The idea of mortgaging our future and bleeding cap space and draft picks turns me off.

Rodgers is 39.  

I may trade for him to make a run if I felt my team was close, but I wouldn't even trade a 2nd rounder for him much less 2 first rounders.   I'd give a 3rd and maybe throw in a 4th.   

If you had Denver's team when they signed Peyton Manning or Tampa Bay when they signed Brady,  I can see that.   

But they gave up nothing for Manning and Tampa gave up nothing for Brady.   

LA trading big for Stafford is an exception, but Stafford was 32 not 39.  So it made more sense for them at time.  Even though Stafford has some injury miles on him.  

I think this deal is more akin to trading for Wilson or Matt Ryan than Stafford. 

And Stafford is looking like he may be fading now too.   They got their SB so I guess that will always be worth it.

As long as Woody does not turn into George Steinbrenner, JD will not be so stupid as to give away high draft picks for Lamar or Aaron.  He is more thoughtful than that.  He will not be bullied into making a bad deal that will set this organization back.  Again.  

• Like 1

I mean if you trade up big for a rookie or wait until next year and do it then, it is survivable because rookies don't cost much anymore.  

It is not ideal, but you can still add youngish players via FA with cost savings.

LA and Philly survived their big trades despite missing on Goff and Wentz.   Philly won a SB with Foles and they are knocking on door again.   LA even made another big trade and won a SB with Stafford.  

Losing a few first rounders on a rookie QB isn't end of world even if he misses.   And sooner or later they hit.  (Probably).  Once you have a young QB in place everything should get a lot easier to build.     

Point is it sucks a lot more when you incur a lot of cap/dead cap and lose the draft picks to boot.

• Like 1

Just like a said a week ago we have a serious problem. The longer we wait the worst the problem is going to get. If we rush into it and make a crazy trade we will be screwed for years.  As probably the last Jets fan to see the first Jets game at Shea, I have no idea what to do. And teams that wants to deal with jets has us over or barrel.

rel.

Just like a said a week ago we have a serious problem. The longer we wait the worst the problem is going to get. If we rush into it and make a crazy trade we will be screwed for years.  As probably the last Jets fan to see the first Jets game at Shea, I have no idea what to do. Any teams that want to deal with jets has us over a barrel.

rel.

Edited by doumeyer

1 hour ago, jetjuice said:

No I think you are missing the point. We won 7 games but I wouldn't call the QB play "garbage" in all of them.

We also got lucky in half of those games too - we had no business beating Cleveland (thanks Chubb for scoring instead of running the clock out), we barely got out of Pittsburgh with a win and it took ZW's best career game for that, and we lucked into facing Skylar Thompson in a 4 week span. Then we beat up on two "shell of their former self" teams in GB and DEN. Then it started going downhill when we couldn't lean on our run game.

There's no evidence to suggest that we are a QB away from the playoffs or Super Bowl. We had one good win against the Bills and that's it. I also think the Bills are overrated and we match up perfectly with them.

I don't see 4 games that we would've won with better QB play - maybe NE and DET at home, that's it. 

Definitely not a 13 win team with Rodgers if the Packers aren't even above .500 with him. 

Right now it's the offensive teams/coaches/home grown QB's kicking *** in the playoffs.

There’s no evidence? We have a top defense. With a healthy (and likely improved) OL along with our RBs we have a great run game. We have a #1 WR in GW if he has a QB. And other weapons as well.

We get a QB we are contenders.

1 hour ago, jetjuice said:

ONE solid win doesn't validate us, and almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. 

Almost does count when we’re talking potential. You think we don’t beat BUF in that game if we have Rodgers? If you say no. Then this conversation is pointless.

Well here is a few points I would like to point out.

1. Aaron Rodgers is NOT going for 2 first round picks. That is the asking price. That means they will get probably half that. So I'm thinking a first round pick or lower. 

2. What QB is going to lift this team up? I think it is a joke when people say Jacoby, Gardner, Winston, or anyone else. Give me Mike White over these guys. These guys are the ones that might get you an outside shot at playoff birth at most so that is a no. Do you go rookie? So you would have to move up a ton to get a rookie. Then you have that ? mark is he even a starter in the league. I peronal hate the QB's this year except Will Rodgers. I think in the end he is the best of the group. 

3. Carr? Can Carr carry them to the top. I think he is a good QB that can make the run but he is not coming here sorry guys. I would love him as a Jet but he knows the media here will eat him alive. 

4. Jimmy G??? He is not that big name guy Woody wants. Then you add the fact he only plays about 6 games a year lol. 

5. Baker Mayfield?????? He is the one that is third to me behind Rodgers and Carr. I think of all the mid level guys he is the one I want. Baker has had a few good years here and there but nothing great. 

6. Tom Brady??? I was thinking he really might be here but I have my doubts now. He is going with a coach that he likes and a team that he can win with. I just have that strange feeling he might end up with the Cowboys. 

In the end I'm just tired of the same old thing. "Build throught the draft" We did that now it is time to put all your chips in. We have waited 10 years to have a good team out there. We have one now and people still try to put them down. I don't care who you go against to get a W is very hard in the NFL. This team was 7-4 and folded like a wallet. 

Aaron Rodgers is the best fit and I think just a first round pick would do it. I would give up pick 13 for Aaron Rodgers  for 2 years and give this team the push it needs. 

2 hours ago, jetjuice said:

No I think you are missing the point. We won 7 games but I wouldn't call the QB play "garbage" in all of them.

We also got lucky in half of those games too - we had no business beating Cleveland (thanks Chubb for scoring instead of running the clock out), we barely got out of Pittsburgh with a win and it took ZW's best career game for that, and we lucked into facing Skylar Thompson in a 4 week span. Then we beat up on two "shell of their former self" teams in GB and DEN. Then it started going downhill when we couldn't lean on our run game.

There's no evidence to suggest that we are a QB away from the playoffs or Super Bowl. We had one good win against the Bills and that's it. I also think the Bills are overrated and we match up perfectly with them.

I don't see 4 games that we would've won with better QB play - maybe NE and DET at home, that's it. 

Definitely not a 13 win team with Rodgers if the Packers aren't even above .500 with him. 

Right now it's the offensive teams/coaches/home grown QB's kicking *** in the playoffs.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After watching JD draft 3 potential rookie of the year candidates, I hate the idea of taking that potential out of his hands. We need to continue to build this team up through the draft and play to one of our strengths.

For that reason alone I’d rather see Carr (his no trade clause should lead to him being cut) on a short term deal than Rodgers for any amount of first round picks.  You can point to Zach and/or Mekhi as draft busts but this years rookie class has been our biggest step forward in years. 

• Like 2

We have no idea what this Line will look like

Breece is recovering from an ACL

Wilson is the only wide receiver who produced last season and I think that was more of a scheme thing than a QB thing

Defense has some holes that need to be plugged(Safety, Linebacker, DT)

Special teams was hit or miss

Coaching is inconsistent if we're being fair

2 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Rodgers cap hit is supposedly only 15M for the team receiving him. His cash total is still $60M so that's gonna have to come out of Woody's pocket. 

Its a no brainer

Unless you are anti postseason, which the Jets have been for the longest of any team in the NFL