What QB is under the most pressure this postseason?

CP3MVP

Which QB is under the most pressure this postseason and why?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB is under the most pressure this playoffs and why

• Josh Allen
    • Patrick Mahomes
    • Brock Purdy
    • Tom Brady
    • Dak Prescott
    • Trevor Lawrence
    • Geno smith
    • Joe Burrow
    • Kirk Cousins
    • Daniel Jones
    • Lamar Jackson
    • Jalen Hurts
    • Justin Herbert
    • Tua

Mahomes will get there eventually pressure wise, but definitely not yet, IMO. At some point he'll start getting the Drew Brees/Aaron Rodgers kind of pressure, where yeah, you've won one, but real all-time greats win multiple. But it's too early for that, and his one win is still recent enough that we're not there yet. If he's at year 10 or something with 1 win under his belt still, then we can talk about this.

Burrow is kind of Mahomes-lite in that regard, with an appearance instead of a win, but it being more recent, so the pressure isn't really there yet for him either. Definitely could be if he doesn't win one in a few years, but not yet really.

No reason for Brady to really have any pressure to do anything but retire at this point. He's done enough of everything else already.

Purdy, Geno, and Jones have all arguably overachieved already by getting as far as they have. No one expects much more of any of them at this point. Though each can improve or hinder their odds of continuing to start next year by how they perform in the postseason, for sure. Not much pressure to succeed, but benefits for doing so.

Tua and Lamar would have at least a little bit of pressure each, but the respective injuries kind of release that.

Hurts, Herbert, and Lawrence all had pressure to succeed this season, but getting to the playoffs is enough of a next step for each at this point.

I believe that leaves Cousins, Prescott, and Allen. Prescott and Cousins are under heavy pressure to do something, I would say. Prescott is in his 6th full year as a starter (we'll throw out the injured year), making $40M per, and has one playoff win to his resume, with....we'll call them okay playoff performances overall. The team is clearly talented enough to win playoff games with good QB play, you have to expect at least a conference championship appearance from him at this point, IMO. Cousins is in a similar boat with an even worse timeline, 8 years as a starting QB, only one career playoff win, with a gain generally lukewarm playoff performances. Everyone tells me this year is the best Cousins has ever done, so you need to see him carry that into the postseason. Cousins is at least cheaper than Prescott, but he's also older, so the timeline is not going to be nearly as kind there. Similar to Prescott, you need to see a postseason push from him. At least get yourself to a matchup with Philly in the CCG. You can't lose to Daniels Jones or Brock Purdy if you're Cousins, to me.

And then there's Josh Allen. I do get Bills fans in the thread saying he has played well in the postseason. His two game run last year was absurd, he just ran up against someone slightly more absurd. I don't think his 2019 or 2020 playoff appearances were anything to really write home about, so the statistics are definitely carried by his 2021 postseason, but that's progress, so clearly that's significant. But expectations were incredibly high for him and the Bills this year. Superbowl favorite, MVP favorite, all that. Eventually those expectations do turn the narrative from, great player and great year, just for making the playoffs, to why do they keep falling short. He's going to constantly be compared to Mahomes and Burrow, for basically the rest of their careers, and for that to remain favorable at all he needs to at least make it to a superbowl. I think Allen is under the most pressure for a superbowl win or appearance, while Cousins and Prescott are under the most pressure to just generally do well.

• Like 2

Depends. 

Josh Allen in terms of pressure to win a Super Bowl because he's on that level. He's already shown he can get to the post season and perform well but if he wants to be in the Mahomes world, he needs a ring. I do think if the Bills don't win it this year it'll be because of the Bills secondary and the loss of Von; not Allen.

Besides that Prescott and Herbert forsure. Slightly on Mahomes? He's otherworldly and feels like he should have more than 1 ring. 

Cousins 100% but a different type of pressure than say Josh Allen. 

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Dak for sure.  Not sure who is tagging Joe with "can't win the big one" after he beat the 1 seed Titans and 2 seed Chiefs on the road last year.  If they lose badly in the Super Bowl, then maybe.

Yeah, sorry I mean it almost specifically if he loses in SB this year, which is why I think its fair to consider him one of the least pressured. It's like the Mahomes thing where the pressure is purely BS media commentary as opposed to like, potentially losing your job lol.

Although, I do tend to follow that by thinking "isn't Josh Allen arguably in the same boat?" He's obviously under no real pressure other than BS media narratives, even if he goes out and poops the bed round 1. Isn't it just from a media expectations perspective? The argument is "it's SB or bust", which is why I come back to Burrow. I think JB is in that same boat, but he's also 2 years earlier and a stage further in the playoffs. 

So yeah, you are right. Like no real pressure on Burrow. And maybe he needs two more years without a chip before it really starts, but I do think crappy media talking points and unrealistic expectations will arise soon if he doesn't get a ring. Because Burrow is good enough that his bar is no longer playoff wins, but championships and MVPs. And when he gets one, the goalposts will then move to multiple rings and then to will move on to "Well he's not Tom Brady" lol.

edit - in hindsight, I think I agree with you and I think he's actually probably 2-3 years from criticism. Certainly, a round 1 win eliminates any bad talking points from this year.

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Oh yeah if he wasn't injured he would be at the top of the list. I don't think he's using the injury to avoid playing in the playoffs, I think he's using the injury to avoid playing period.

I agree. I didn’t mean to say that he’s malingering…I know he’s not. But I would like to finally put this to bed by seeing him succeed in the playoffs

5 hours ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

I think Josh Allen. You want to in the big boys club you have to start winning the games that matter. He’s a heck of talent but to be on the Mahomes level you need to start winning in the postseason.

I’d say Dak next but I think deep down everyone knows Dak isn’t elite - he’s a talented game manager. 

To be fair Allen isn't the reason they lost last year. 

I voted Lamar, but if he cannot play then Dak. Lamar is going for that monster deal, having a really good game in the postseason would help boost him up. They won most of their games obviously but they squeaked by several weaker teams at the end rather than owning them like they should have.

Dak kinda hurt his team as much as he helped it seemed from mid-Nov on. Playing clean, turnover free football is huge for him especially now.

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I mean, quitting on your team is a pretty horrible look but if that's what is gonna help him secure his next bag then so be it.

...If that's what is going on.

When I saw him run off the field seemingly with no favoring that leg a couple months ago I couldn't help but think, wow this might take a few months to recover from. 

Just kidding, I was surprised he wasn't back after the half. Let alone missing 5 or 6 games, whatever it has been.