2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Spotrac had Sutton expected to be 3 years, 22 million ($7.5M+/year). 

Hard to say if Spotrac undervalued him or if the Lions overpaid. 

Will be interesting to see what other CBs go for.  But I would say he is the level of CB similar to what Onyemata is a DT and Sutton got less than him.  DO was projected at 9.5M and signed for nearly 12, so it seems that Sportrac is a little light on projections for coveted guys at least.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Lions sign  Cam Sutton. 3 yrs $33 million, $21.5m guaranteed. Per Rapoport

He will be a huge help to our secondary.  He has played just about every position.  He has been very good in the slot and was pretty good playing outside last season.  We may have paid a little more than expected but that is what happens when you draft poorly at CB (not the fault of Brad Holmes).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Will be interesting to see what other CBs go for.  But I would say he is the level of CB similar to what Onyemata is a DT and Sutton got less than him.  DO was projected at 9.5M and signed for nearly 12, so it seems that Sportrac is a little light on projections for coveted guys at least.  

It just helps to put in perspective how to use the tool in the future. If we're ballparking guys, are they in line or are we going to have to add a little extra in there. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

For what it is worth, we will be paying Jeff Okudah $10.6 million this year assuming he is on the roster.  I think Sutton's contract is solid value and yet another wake-up call for Jeff Okudah.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

Odd signing considering he's not very good in man coverage and we run man more than any other nfl team. 

Steelers just played him all over, outside, slot, safety. He seemed to do well, but not elite, everywhere. I don't think this suggests a change to any scheme. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I've heard Lions are in talks with LB Azeez Al- Shaair from 49ers on 2-3 yr deal but not reported or confirmed yet.

In event that he does come here, this is what we're seeing.

OVR: 67.8

RDEF: 79.7

PRSH: 83.0

COV: 53.6

I know PFF isn't the end all, be all... but I'm not seeing guys with strong coverage grades so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Steelers just played him all over, outside, slot, safety. He seemed to do well, but not elite, everywhere. I don't think this suggests a change to any scheme. 

I think the Lions see him as a CB that can be moved all over the secondary without too much drop-off in play (unlike Mike Hughes).  Having a player like him will be very helpful if the draft Gonzalez or Witherspoon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I've heard Lions are in talks with LB Azeez Al- Shaair from 49ers on 2-3 yr deal but not reported or confirmed yet.

He has been stuck behind Dre Greenlaw and Fred Warner for a while.  He is a very under-the-radar signing that could have a big impact.

Edited by Just Want A Title