Is his goose Cooked? (Upd: Officially now a J-E-T, 8/16)

swede700

9 minutes ago, Morlee said:

Maybe I’m alone here but I don’t value the RB position much at all.  I’d be fine just going with Nwangwu/Chandler. Maybe drafting another in the fifth or sixth round. 

I think it's an unfortunate turn in the game, because I always appreciated a good workhorse RB, but it is what it is.  I personally don't think they can rely solely on a Nwangwu/Chandler rotation.  I think they could get by, but on the basis of the offensive scheme, I wouldn't trust either of them consistently in the screen game.  I think Nwangwu could be good at it, but he's not there yet.  If they move on from Dalvin, I think they'd need someone who is proven at the screen game. Obviously, he's too old now, but this is an offense that a younger Jerick McKinnon would have excelled in.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think it's an unfortunate turn in the game, because I always appreciated a good workhorse RB, but it is what it is.  I personally don't think they can rely solely on a Nwangwu/Chandler rotation.  I think they could get by, but on the basis of the offensive scheme, I wouldn't trust either of them consistently in the screen game.  I think Nwangwu could be good at it, but he's not there yet.  If they move on from Dalvin, I think they'd need someone who is proven at the screen game. Obviously, he's too old now, but this is an offense that a younger Jerick McKinnon would have excelled in.  

Really wish Mattison want a free agent.....

They can re-work the contract with Cook if it's all about money.

I'm not Kwessi, so my opinion is well in the minority based on what everyone else seems to think he will do. I'm also in the minority on this forum as I've been a fan and advocate for Cook. I also like Mattison. We've been spoiled having these guys.

Cook is STILL a very effective RB. He can be even more effective if the Vikings can avoid having defenders in his face the second he touches the ball. He led the league in being tackled for a loss. There was a play in the Giants game where 3 defenders met him before he even took a step.

His cuts are explosive. He can make people miss with ease. His balance is off sometimes. Hopefully he can work on that a bit this offseason with trainers provided he's still here. He run blocks very well picking up blitzing LBs. He still needs work in the screen game. Most of that is on set-up and timing so he doesn't have someone bearing down on him the second he touches the ball. Obviously nobody can catch him in the open field. Why would anyone not want that element on offense?

Yes, he's going to be 28 next season, but people are hastening his age based on what they think a RB is incapable of after a point in time. I haven't seen this phantom age-regression that seems to be the controlling narrative that has an undercurrent of money.

• Like 1

Explosive is not the word I'd use to describe Cook's cuts or his agility anymore. He's still fast, still a home-run threat, and still a good pass blocker. I'm not sure if it was adjustment to the scheme, or a loss of ability, but he was way less decisive this year - taking false steps or hitting the wrong hole, and seemed to be slow to react. I think he's partially to blame for the way the screen game stunk up until the back 1/3 of the season. He's never been a great receiver or protective of the football, which I think this staff values. 

I'd still like him back here, but at half of what he's supposed to cost next year. It's all about maximizing his value this year. 

• Like 2

According to Over the Cap, Cook carries a cap hit of $14,101,272 into the 2023 season. That includes a pre-June 1st dead cap number of $6,202,545. However, by cutting him, here is how much money Minnesota can save over the next three years:

• 2023: $7,898,727
  • 2024: $12,500,000
  • 2025: $14,500,000

https://purpleptsd.com/2023/vikings/vikings-analysis/vikings-rb-room/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

According to Over the Cap, Cook carries a cap hit of $14,101,272 into the 2023 season. That includes a pre-June 1st dead cap number of $6,202,545. However, by cutting him, here is how much money Minnesota can save over the next three years:

• 2023: $7,898,727
  • 2024: $12,500,000
  • 2025: $14,500,000

https://purpleptsd.com/2023/vikings/vikings-analysis/vikings-rb-room/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

That's waaaaaaaay too much to keep him at. 

• Like 1