Is Nick Chubb on a HOF pace?

Kiwibrown

Nick Chubb HOF?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Chubb

On 2/5/2023 at 3:49 PM, Yin-Yang said:

I’d be with you 100%, but then why bring up 40s? Also would have to throw in: how often do we see most defenders really open up into a sprint? I think, in a race, there are some LBers that would challenge the fastest guys on their team, in this league. So game speed can be an incomplete measure. 

Exactly.  This is why top speed or MPH or whatever can be misleading.  It is dependent on opportunities.  Chubb is awesome but there is no way he's top 5 in the NFL for speed.

49 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I think he's definitely a top 5 RB as far as speed.

Chubb might not even be the fastest RB out of just this rookie class. Kenneth Walker, Breece Hall, Pierre Strong, and Isiah Pacheco would give him a run for his money, at minimum. White and Cook are right there too. 

lol you guys are crazy. Chubb has elite home run speed.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Chubb might not even be the fastest RB out of just this rookie class. Kenneth Walker, Breece Hall, Pierre Strong, and Isiah Pacheco would give him a run for his money, at minimum. White and Cook are right there too. 

Are we talking 40 times in shorts? Or are we talking about running away from NFL defenses? Give me Chubb over all of those dudes as far as in-game speed. Walker is the only guy I think might be faster...but I doubt it.

24 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Are we talking 40 times in shorts? Or are we talking about running away from NFL defenses? Give me Chubb over all of those dudes as far as in-game speed. Walker is the only guy I think might be faster...but I doubt it.

I mean, part of using that is getting the opportunity to run away from defenses, lol. Pacheco and especially Strong haven’t really gotten quite the opportunity to display their speed, partly because they’re just not as good as a guy like Chubb. 

But yeah, no, they all have home run speed. Chubb puts it on display more because he’s better than those guys. In terms of pure speed, he’s not in his own stratosphere of even running backs. Add DBs, LBs, and WRs into this equation and top 5 is a massive, massive stretch.

32 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Raheem Mostert blows Chubb out of the water in the speed department. Jonathan Taylor is faster in basically every metric out there to judge speed. In this upcoming draft class Devon Achane is undoubtedly faster than Chubb. As you already mentioned Walker is probably faster than Chubb. Earlier in his career Cordarrelle Patterson was definitely faster than Chubb. At this stage, he might not be anymore though. If we are talking about "limited role" players, Nyheim Hines is faster than Chubb. Matt Breida has a good argument as well.  

59 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Raheem Mostert blows Chubb out of the water in the speed department. Jonathan Taylor is faster in basically every metric out there to judge speed. In this upcoming draft class Devon Achane is undoubtedly faster than Chubb. As you already mentioned Walker is probably faster than Chubb. Earlier in his career Cordarrelle Patterson was definitely faster than Chubb. At this stage, he might not be anymore though. If we are talking about "limited role" players, Nyheim Hines is faster than Chubb. Matt Breida has a good argument as well.  

yeah, Speed isn't what I would consider Chubb's biggest asset at any point. 

Vision? sure.

Balance? sure.

Powerful leg drive? sure.

But he was never really a 4.4 guy in pads.

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Mostert and Taylor yes. Walker maybe…splitting hairs. Achane is not in the NFL. Patterson no lol. Breida 4 years ago maybe. Is he even in the NFL? Hines yes.

Mostert Taylor Hines Walker Chubb

33 minutes ago, scar988 said:

yeah, Speed isn't what I would consider Chubb's biggest asset at any point. 

Vision? sure.

Balance? sure.

Powerful leg drive? sure.

But he was never really a 4.4 guy in pads.

Speed isn’t his best attribute, which is scary. Because he had elite breakaway speed. I swear people don’t watch him play with these asinine opinions that he isn’t crazy fast. Whatever. 

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Henry’s right there if the distance is enough to let him get up to speed. Rookies Strong/Hall/Pacheco. Cook. Etienne. Probably Pollard. Excluding all the fringe roster guys that barely/never play. 

Even then, I don’t think the fastest running backs compete with the fastest DBs/WRs.

19 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Henry’s right there if the distance is enough to let him get up to speed. Rookies Strong/Hall/Pacheco. Cook. Etienne. Probably Pollard. Excluding all the fringe roster guys that barely/never play. 

Even then, I don’t think the fastest running backs compete with the fastest DBs/WRs.

Yeah in terms of just pure speed I’d say only Mostert has true “elite” speed at RB when factoring in all positions. Devon Achane will also join that elite tier this upcoming season. He has rare speed for a RB.

Chubb has breakaway speed. The technical stuff doesn't matter as he isn't a speed back. 

Chubb has great power and elite tackle breaking ability, the metrics don't matter because he isn't a power back.

Chubb has great vision and balance, where he stacks up in those categories doesn't matter because they aren't his greatest attribute.

What sets Chubb apart is the combination of everything. A lot of guys have breakaway speed. A lot of guys break tackles. A lot of guys bounce off defenders and choose the right lane. A lot of guys get back up to speed quickly. Not many do it all. 

Chubb hasn't had the opportunity to have been used as a receiver so that is his flaw, whether it is his fault or not. Nothing else is debatable. Best pure runner? probably. Breakaway speed? Yep. Great vision and elite balance? Uh huh. Elite at breaking tackles? Yup. Does he catch 40 balls per year? Nope. 

So any argument against Chubb from being top 3 in the NFL in any of his seasons (accumulated you can't make the argument without sounding stupid) is only that he hasn't had the numbers of some of the backs in a receiving role. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Speed isn’t his best attribute, which is scary. Because he had elite breakaway speed. I swear people don’t watch him play with these asinine opinions that he isn’t crazy fast. Whatever. 

I never said he had bad speed. He was like a 4.50-4.55 guy. Which isn't bad at all.