The Lamar offseason talk thread

diamondbull424

2 minutes ago, bmorecareful said:

Nobody has mentioned this but what if a team waits til after the draft to put in a offer sheet and we don’t match… We would then have to wait until next year to start receiving compensation and if he goes to said team and kills it we end up with extremely weak compensation for a 26 year old ex unanimous MVP… While this is probably our only move (non-exclusive) it’s extremely risky because a team could possibly get a whole season of play from Lamar without having to compensate us at all next season… 

Very unlikely a team is going to have the cap room to offer a contract we can’t match after they go through FA and the draft.

Theyd also be operating the duration of FA/the draft without knowing who their starting QB is going to be and whether they’ll even get a chance to sign him (for all they know, maybe we sign lamar in June or something).

I don’t see it

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Very unlikely a team is going to have the cap room to offer a contract we can’t match after they go through FA and the draft.

Theyd also be operating the duration of FA/the draft without knowing who their starting QB is going to be and whether they’ll even get a chance to sign him (for all they know, maybe we sign lamar in June or something).

I don’t see it

Your thinking from a standpoint of it not being a teams plan from the onset of the process…  A team could easily map it out with Lamar as a handshake deal and wait til post draft to complete the transaction… How hard is it to think a team could pass on a QB because a player unexpectedly fell in their lap or just flat out miss out on the guy they liked in the draft and pursue Lamar post draft… Not to mention that at that late in the process the Ravens themselves may have allocated too much via draft/free agency to create the necessary room to match said offer as well… Everything about the process so far has defied logical sense… Why wouldn’t there be another curveball at this point lol…

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bmorecareful said:

Your thinking from a standpoint of it not being a teams plan from the onset of the process…  A team could easily map it out with Lamar as a handshake deal and wait til post draft to complete the transaction… How hard is it to think a team could pass on a QB because a player unexpectedly fell in their lap or just flat out miss out on the guy they liked in the draft and pursue Lamar post draft… Not to mention that at that late in the process the Ravens themselves may have allocated too much via draft/free agency to create the necessary room to match said offer as well… Everything about the process so far has defied logical sense… Why wouldn’t there be another curveball at this point lol…

I guess anything’s possible for sure 

I love how people keep mentioning how different our W/L record is with Lamar vs without him, and then acting as if our record without him is what we'd be shackled to if he left. 

Like, really? We lost more games when the premium talent we designated as a starter was out..... who would've guessed?

If Lamar leaves we'll find another talent far above replacement/UDFA level, it's not like we're just going to roll with Anthony Brown. 🤣

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I love how people keep mentioning how different our W/L record is with Lamar vs without him, and then acting as if our record without him is what we'd be shackled to if he left. 

Like, really? We lost more games when the premium talent we designated as a starter was out..... who would've guessed?

If Lamar leaves we'll find another talent far above replacement/UDFA level, it's not like we're just going to roll with Anthony Brown. 🤣

Breaking news: team has worse record with backup QB than with starter.

Give this man his Watson deal already 🔒🙌🏼

Edited by Ray Reed

7 minutes ago, Nobellythrower said:

Josina anderson reported he's not asking for a fully gtd, something like  watson, if lamar wants he can hold out after the draft and the ravens can miss out on the top qbs of the draft

Who cares? We still retain control of him and can match any offer that potentially comes along. 

I don't know why fans are tying themselves in knots trying to 'think up' a nightmare scenario. The organization has been analyzing this situation from every angle for over a year. Every scenario and every outcome has been discussed. It's not like this was just a last minute decision and they flipped a coin.

2 minutes ago, Nobellythrower said:

Uh do you see the afc? lamar can just wait until the draft, make sure the ravens have no rookie qb, play tyler huntley and go from there it matters

What would that accomplish exactly? 

It would just hurt his image more, make him look even harder to deal with, and we'd still be able to match any deal he was offered.

What's he going to do? Not play for an entire season, lose a year off his prime, and then restart this process next offseason from an even worse leverage point? 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I feel what ur saying but we were bad with our “starter” the year Lamar took over and turned us back into a perennial playoff contender… The dynamic isn’t just as simple as wins and losses… its more about the actual disparity In The wins and losses… we go from a 75% win percentage to in the 30s… that is a systematic issue… Hopefully Monken can come In and help with that but the reality is… As currently constructed this team has literally gone as Lamar has gone… last two years his season ending.. ended our season… #Period… he wins at the fourth highest rate at QB in NFL history with an offensive roster that can’t even consistently get first downs Let alone score (this past season) if he isn’t there meanwhile Brock Purdy lead the 9ers to the NFC title game as a 7th round rookie… Look.. we have to reconstruct 75% of the offensive roster without Lamar whereas if we have him we need to add a decent couple receivers and stay healthy and we’re legit contenders… this process has been annoying and I wish it was over one or another like everyone else but I’m not gon let anyone marginalize the impact he has on this team… #Respectfully

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmorecareful said:

I feel what ur saying but we were bad with our “starter” the year Lamar took over and turned us back into a perennial playoff contender…

You're speaking to my point. We replaced Flacco with a high end early round option- not just some UDFA talent like Huntley or Brown.

The same would be done with Jackson, making the apocalyptical framing of our W/L totals with or without him going forward... silly.

10 minutes ago, bmorecareful said:

Look.. we have to reconstruct 75% of the offensive roster without Lamar

No we don't. We replace Lamar with another QB, add a couple talented receivers, and maybe give Ben Cleveland some competition at LG- that's it. 

We have some holes at WR & CB, but this is a crazy solid roster all around. Which is why we were one miracle play away from downing the Bengals in the playoffs with a backup QB and our top two WRs out(Not to mention Greg Roman calling plays). 

22 minutes ago, bmorecareful said:

this process has been annoying and I wish it was over one or another like everyone else but I’m not gon let anyone marginalize the impact he has on this team… #Respectfully

No one has done that.

Lamar being a good QB that helps this club win games is an undeniable fact. 

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

What would that accomplish exactly? 

What's he going to do? Not play for an entire season, lose a year off his prime, and then restart this process next offseason from an even worse leverage point? 

Not what im talking about, lamar can wait until the draft before starting negations which means no qb this draft for the ravens nor caleb williams since the teams interested wouldn't have the no#1-3 overall 

It would just hurt his image more, make him look even harder to deal with, and we'd still be able to match any deal he was offered.

His image isn't hurt at all if he did that, yall were already on him for having no agent 

Yeah. The narrative that the offense has to be totally reconstructed without Jackson seems odd to me. The line was pretty solid last year. The backs, when Dobbins is healthy, is a really good group. Tight end is set. Wide receiver needs to be addressed... but that's true regardless of the QB. And to top it all off they have a new and vastly different offensive coordinator anyways. 

I mean, it's still worse without Lamar. But it's not like this is some super specialized roster to take advantage of his unique talents. 

• Like 4

😂 

This league is very interesting, Daniel Jones best season is worse than Lamar’s worst season and this dude gets paid $40m with 60% guaranteed?

Yet fans are tripping because Lamar is asking for ~$47m guaranteed? That’s a bargain in comparison.

Oh well. Hopefully everything resolves itself as according to plan.