The Lamar offseason talk thread

diamondbull424

24 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I don't think that makes much sense at all considering all of the ambiguity that would surround our team headed into Free agency and the draft. I'd expect some type of resolution prior to the draft. I think it's either a deal gets done or Lamar is sent packing for picks in this upcoming draft and beyond. 

This negotiation is essentially a pair of handcuffs on our hands and feet moving forward. Figuring it out in June or July? I don't think so. 

Why do the ravens need to put a deadline on themselves? Either he plays this season on the tag or they get a deal done there's no in between.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/lamar-jackson-rumors-ravens-qb-remain-apart-on-deal-despite-last-minute-meeting-non-exclusive-tag-in-play/ 

Jackson and Ravens general manager Eric DeCosta met in Miami over the weekend in hopes of reaching a deal, but the sides remain apart in contract terms

Per ESPN, Baltimore is planning on using the non-exclusive tag on Jackson -- allowing him to negotiate with other teams, potentially putting a Ravens exit in play.

That's what I'd do. Just slap the non-exclusive on this cat and let him see firsthand that teams aren't going to give him above the Deshaun deal. 

Edited by Ray Reed

Non-exclusive tag means we would only get 2 1st rounders if Lamar signs elsewhere though, right? That would be a REALLY bad return especially if it's a team outside of the top 10. If you're the Giants for example and you're thinking about paying Danny Dimes $40m a year, why wouldn't you first make a run at Lamar knowing that all you lose is two picks in the 20's? 

They have to be really confident nobody is giving him a Deshaun Watson deal that they can't match because otherwise we're setting ourselves up to lose him for peanuts. I don't see why we couldn't put the exclusive tag on him but still give him permission to talk to other teams. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Non-exclusive tag means we would only get 2 1st rounders if Lamar signs elsewhere though, right? That would be a REALLY bad return especially if it's a team outside of the top 10. If you're the Giants for example and you're thinking about paying Danny Dimes $40m a year, why wouldn't you first make a run at Lamar knowing that all you lose is two picks in the 20's? 

They have to be really confident nobody is giving him a Deshaun Watson deal that they can't match because otherwise we're setting ourselves up to lose him for peanuts. I don't see why we couldn't put the exclusive tag on him but still give him permission to talk to other teams. 

If they do go the non-exclusive route, this is exactly the reason why. 

8 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

If they do go the non-exclusive route, this is exactly the reason why. 

The only thing with the non-exclusive tag that I fear is that Lamar signs with nobody prior to the draft, then after the draft Miami signs him. So we lose Lamar and we don't get a 1st until 2024. 

I've read this is a possible outcome but I don't know all the rules regarding compensation when signing a player off the non-exclusive tag. 

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

The only thing with the non-exclusive tag that I fear is that Lamar signs with nobody prior to the draft, then after the draft Miami signs him. So we lose Lamar and we don't get a 1st until 2024. 

I've read this is a possible outcome but I don't know all the rules regarding compensation when signing a player off the non-exclusive tag. 

I saw that floating around too. That would be a worst case scenario for us...I guess our hope in that scenario is the dolphins wouldn't have enough cap room to blow us out of the water with a deal and/or they wouldn't want to go three straight seasons without a 1st round pick (forfeited 2023, Lamar compensation 2024 an 2025). 

2 hours ago, Xmad said:

Why do the ravens need to put a deadline on themselves? Either he plays this season on the tag or they get a deal done there's no in between.

It will drastically change the way our team looks and competes if he plays under the franchise tag gobbling up all that cap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

Just to clarify the exclusive franchise tag. 

If he's offered a deal and we decline to match it, it's a mandatory 2 first round picks. 

If we decide we want to accept it, we're then able to negotiate with the other team for more compensation than 2 first round picks if we decide to allow them to sign him away. 

37 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

When's the absolute last day for something to not get done? Isn't that coming up soon? I want to set a reminder in my calendar so I can start unmuting everything because it's all just been the same cycle of reporting for months and it's so tiresome. Nothing new has been reported.

Week 9 or 10 of the regular season if they exclusive tag him.

Edited by M.10.E

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

When's the absolute last day for something to not get done? Isn't that coming up soon? I want to set a reminder in my calendar so I can start unmuting everything because it's all just been the same cycle of reporting for months and it's so tiresome. Nothing new has been reported.

We're here in the endgame. There will be news tomorrow. Now is the time unmute and participate in mob hysteria.

1 hour ago, M.10.E said:

Week 9 or 10 of the regular season if they exclusive tag him.

Naw, I'd be STUNNED if this isn't resolved by the 15th of this month. They have a window to tag before the league starts where they don't have to fit under the cap. They aren't going to make cuts/trades to get Lamars tag number to fit and THEN extend him later on this off-season/season.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

It will drastically change the way our team looks and competes if he plays under the franchise tag gobbling up all that cap. 

Correct and the ravens prepared for both scenarios, if they get a deal done business as usual, if not plan B and we look to the draft and focus on cutting costs to add talent where it's needed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

So 2 1st round picks as opposed to what? 3 1st round picks and a couple mid round picks? This to me seems like the only possible way we’re getting a deal done without caving on his crazy demands. The extra 1st and 3rd aren’t that big of a deal.

Difference between 4 picks and 2 picks, 2 1st rounders vs. 3 is still pretty significant. You're talking about a package that is 30-50% less valuable if we go the non-exclusive franchise route and gamble wrong on Lamar's market, it's just bad management. 

If Lamar isn't coming back then the goal has to be maximizing the capital we get coming back - it becomes the most important decision the Ravens make over the next 5 years and one that makes the difference between keeping us in contention and sliding back into the middle of the pack. At the very least you gotta give yourself as many chances to get another franchise QB, whether that's more 1st round picks, or a guaranteed top 5/10 pick. Huge difference between that and getting back two picks in the high teens or 20's. 

We got a 1st rounder for Hollywood Brown, if we barely do better than that for Lamar then EDC has royally screwed the pooch. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 1