Daron Payne? What to do?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Daron Payne? What to do?

• Tag n Trade
    • Re-sign to long term extension
    • Tag him and let him play on tag
    • Let him walk

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It’s different. When the opposing DE pushes the OT/QB off his mark and towards your side of the field as a DE it helps your sack total. In 2021 Sweat had 5 sacks while Chase only had 4 sacks while Chase had just 1.5 sacks the first half of last season - if you don’t count the 2 Chase has taken away on bogus roughing the passer penalties - in part bc of the pressure Chase was providing on the left side.

Nevertheless, you are saying he depends on the other guys on the field taking the double teams, moving the pocket so he can get after the qb.   The elite DE is the guy taking a double team who still puts the qb on the ground.  

I will tell you what impressed me about Sweat this year was that he was a very well rounded player.  He was a strong contributor in the run game.  He can play every down and be effective.  There is a lot to like in that.  He isn't just a situational pass rush guy.  I would like to keep Sweat, but he isn't special and I believe he will still demand big money.  That is a tough combo.  

I still don’t understand why we can’t pay two elite DTs? Why can you pay two OL, two WRs, two LBs but not two of the best DL in football? It makes no sense to me not to pay Payne so you can go spread the money around with average players. Free agents almost never work out for us either. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I still don’t understand why we can’t pay two elite DTs? Why can you pay two OL, two WRs, two LBs but not two of the best DL in football? It makes no sense to me not to pay Payne so you can go spread the money around with average players. Free agents almost never work out for us either. 

Two isn't the problem.  Two is fine.  But we have Sweat and Young coming up for extensions soon. 

I voted Tag and Trade. 

The most logical thing right now is to trade Payne who peaked his value having a career best year.  Making the Pro Bowl and having a 10+ sack season as a DT should help us recoup some draft capital or maybe reduce the cost of a veteran player at another position. 

I don't want Payne to go, but you don't pay two DTs top dollar with no QB. Not to mention they drafted Mathis in the 2nd and that is far too many resources into one position. 

Plus, with Jon Allen playing like the all world talent that he is, it helped Daron have the performances that he had. Who knows what he does when he has to be "the guy" elsewhere. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Jon Allen playing like the all world talent that he is,

We beat Dallas - what 23-6. Did we miss him? Not disputing he's a great player- just saying. Payne TCB. I voted tag and trade too. . 

Edited by RSkinGM

On 1/26/2023 at 7:56 PM, lavar703 said:

I think the potential of what just happened with Payne is there for Sweat. What he did against the Titans is what he has the potential to do all the time. Whether or not he puts it together, that I don’t know? 

If they truly aren’t going to keep Payne, extending Sweat this March makes a lot of sense to me but, Sweat may not sign the deal they want him to sign thinking he will break out this year & have double digit sacks finally.

On 1/27/2023 at 11:52 AM, Slappy Mc said:

I voted Tag and Trade. 

The most logical thing right now is to trade Payne who peaked his value having a career best year.  Making the Pro Bowl and having a 10+ sack season as a DT should help us recoup some draft capital or maybe reduce the cost of a veteran player at another position. 

I don't want Payne to go, but you don't pay two DTs top dollar with no QB. Not to mention they drafted Mathis in the 2nd and that is far too many resources into one position. 

Plus, with Jon Allen playing like the all world talent that he is, it helped Daron have the performances that he had. Who knows what he does when he has to be "the guy" elsewhere. 

That is exactly why you pay 2 DTs.  If you don't have a top qb, you balance with a top defense.  And in fact, if we didn't pay Wentz, that money could have extended payne. 

3 minutes ago, offbyone said:

That is exactly why you pay 2 DTs.  If you don't have a top qb, you balance with a top defense.  And in fact, if we didn't pay Wentz, that money could have extended payne. 

So you want to perpetually not have a QB worth paying? Because once you pay two DTs, and probably both DEs, you won't have the funds to do that.

• Like 1

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

So you want to perpetually not have a QB worth paying? Because once you pay two DTs, and probably both DEs, you won't have the funds to do that.

If, for instance, Howell is the qb, we wouldn't pay him for another 3 years.  If we draft another qb, same thing. So why not have a good defense while you have a young unpaid qb?

Unless you just want to burn money on aging whos who free agents qbs like Aaron Rodgers or Wilson or average expensive ones like Wentz.

2 minutes ago, offbyone said:

If, for instance, Howell is the qb, we wouldn't pay him for another 3 years.  If we draft another qb, same thing. So why not have a good defense while you have a young unpaid qb?

Unless you just want to burn money on aging whos who free agents qbs like Aaron Rodgers or Wilson or average expensive ones like Wentz.

I mean, it isn't my money, so I'm indifferent at the end of the day, but I would prefer having an offense that scores points over a defense that holds really well. The old adage is defense wins championships, but in todays NFL, you need to be able to score points.

I genuinely hope Sam Howell can be the guy. Either way, we need to find "the guy" and pay him whatever he wants.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I mean, it isn't my money, so I'm indifferent at the end of the day, but I would prefer having an offense that scores points over a defense that holds really well. The old adage is defense wins championships, but in todays NFL, you need to be able to score points.

I genuinely hope Sam Howell can be the guy. Either way, we need to find "the guy" and pay him whatever he wants.

I am skeptical on Howell, but I would like to find a qb in draft.  Look at the teams playing in this year: Burrow, Hurts, Purdy, Mahomes...all drafted and on rookie contracts.  All teams have good defenses.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 2:52 PM, Slappy Mc said:

I voted Tag and Trade. 

Keeping Up With The Kardashians Same Page GIF by E!

• Like 1