Senior Bowl Discussion

HuskieBear

Thought it was appropriate to open up a thread to focus on Senior Bowl guys and the game itself, especially with Getsy coaching the American Team.

I really like how the Oline and WR room for the American team is shaping up - should give us a big leg up in evaluating those positions

Alabama Emil Ekiyor Jr. OL
alabama.jpg Alabama Tyler Steen OL
florida.jpg Florida Richard Gouraige OL
florida.jpg Florida O'Cyrus Torrence OL
minnesota.jpg Minnesota John Michael Schmitz OL
oklahoma.jpg Oklahoma Wanya Morris OL
odu.jpg Old Dominion Nick Saldiveri OL
olemiss.jpg Ole Miss Nick Broeker OL
syracuse.jpg Syracuse Matthew Bergeron OL
TCU Steve Avila OL
tennessee.jpg Tennessee Darnell Wright OL
georgia.jpg Georgia Warren McClendon Jr OL
TCU Derius Davis WR
houston.jpg Houston Nathaniel Dell WR
iowastate.jpg Iowa State Xavier Hutchinson WR
olemiss.jpg Ole Miss Jonathan Mingo WR
smu.jpg SMU Rashee Rice WR
SouthAlabamaweblogo.jpg South Alabama Jalen Wayne WR
princeton_logo.jpg Princeton Andrei Iosivas WR
Virginiaweblogo.jpg Virginia Don'tayvion Wicks WR

Other notable players on the team are RB Kenny McIntosh, RB Tyjae Spears, TE Luke Musgrave, LB Dorian Williams, LB Henry To'oTo'o, DL Byron Young, DL Zacch Pickens, DL Ali Gaye, DL Dylan Horton

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

i actually like the idea of either of those guys late, especially if we swing a trade for another guy (dhop, evans)

I'm REALLY intrigued by Iosivas late. I feel like the 5th and later you are drafting for physical tool or gambling with character concerns. Give your position coach high end physical gifts and have them work on the refinement.

Someone is going to have to explain the Iosivas love to me. He doesn’t do anything particularly well. It’s like people are trying to make Christian Watson happen with him but he doesn’t have it. 

11 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Someone is going to have to explain the Iosivas love to me. He doesn’t do anything particularly well. It’s like people are trying to make Christian Watson happen with him but he doesn’t have it. 

I don't think anyone loves him, just has physical tools that can hopefully make him be a solid depth piece at minimum. Watson was a guy who was looked like a high round pick but I wouldnt imagine anyone takes Iosivas before the 5th. 

I really think Getsy is gonna like Kenny McIntosh, who I think would be a pretty strong complement to what we have in Herbert. McIntosh on his own is a solid prospect with good size and RB1 upside, but notably the things he offers as a 3rd down player in the receiving game is an area where Herbert’s skill set is lacking too. Usually the teams who coach in the Senior Bowl end up drafting at least one guy who was on their squad. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if McIntosh was one of those guys for us. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

He runs really really fast

I watched this highlight clip of his and he doesn’t even look that fast on film to me, even playing against future white collar professionals in the Ivy League. For a supposed 4.29 guy he’s curiously not really running away from anyone and doesn’t seem to play to that track speed to me.

Let’s see him against a higher level of opponent at the Senior Bowl. Watson saw tougher competition at NDSU. The PFN Mock Draft Simulator doesn’t list a single corner or safety in their database from the Ivy League right now, and their prospect list goes 1,410 players deep. He’d probably face comparable competition against the Illinois HS All-State team. 

19 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I really think Getsy is gonna like Kenny McIntosh, who I think would be a pretty strong complement to what we have in Herbert. McIntosh on his own is a solid prospect with good size and RB1 upside, but notably the things he offers as a 3rd down player in the receiving game is an area where Herbert’s skill set is lacking too. Usually the teams who coach in the Senior Bowl end up drafting at least one guy who was on their squad. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if McIntosh was one of those guys for us. 

While McIntosh isn't CMC in the passing game I think he is a better receiver out of the backfield than Cohen was. Best receiver out of the backfield for the class. 

• Like 1

Not big on drafting guards versus drafting OTs and moving them to G, but O'Cyrus can play from clips I have seen.  He may be an exception.  

I am high on Darnell Wright.  I think everyone is.

I see Schmitz come up a lot on my mock simulations and I take him often.  Haven't actually watched him yet.   C is a definite position of upgrade for us (newsflash).

Rashee Rice is a guy whose highlights I really like.  I have heard good things about Dell, but haven't watched him yet. 

I remember Bears fell in love with Michael Haynes at Senior Bowl and he didn't turn out very good.   I remember a lot of standouts that didn't pan out.  

I think body of work in college (and coaches, player interviews and background which we don't get to see or hear) trump or should carry more weight than these post season sessions.   

But I get it.  If I was a coach and I was working with a guy hands on in person, just like in camp, it is hard for your opinion not to be formed off that.  You believe your own eyes over what someone else is telling you happened before.  You always trust your own hands on opinion over others and if you have an eye you are right.   

I remember Bobby Knight coaching Michael Jordan in Olympics.  After Olympics he went on David Letterman and other shows and was just like if you don't draft Jordan number 1 you need your head examined.   He said he was talking to Portland GM.   GM told him, look Bobby, we already have Drexler at SG, we need a center.  

Knight goes, "Fine.  Play Jordan at center then.  Just take him."

• Like 2

I like Dawand Jones too.   When an OT is that big and long with a minimum baseline of movement and athletic skills they are useful.    

Why I was higher on Orlando Brown coming out than almost everybody.   If they are super long and have decent college tape with bend, take them.  

If you can't bullrush them and they are super long - you have to travel all the way around them.   That is usually 2.5 seconds by itself.  If they can't get a good hand on you.

If they get a hand on you it is now around 3 seconds and 3 seconds is a really good block by today's standards.

Only edges with freakish bend defeat that and they are few and far between.   Plus conversely those big guys have the advantage on most of those bendy guys in run game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Not big on drafting guards versus drafting OTs and moving them to G, but O'Cyrus can play from clips I have seen.  He may be an exception.  

I am high on Darnell Wright.  I think everyone is.

I see Schmitz come up a lot on my mock simulations and I take him often.  Haven't actually watched him yet.   C is a definite position of upgrade for us (newsflash).

Rashee Rice is a guy whose highlights I really like.  I have heard good things about Dell, but haven't watched him yet. 

I remember Bears fell in love with Michael Haynes at Senior Bowl and he didn't turn out very good.   I remember a lot of standouts that didn't pan out.  

I think body of work in college (and coaches, player interviews and background which we don't get to see or hear) trump or should carry more weight than these post season sessions.   

But I get it.  If I was a coach and I was working with a guy hands on in person, just like in camp, it is hard for your opinion not to be formed off that.  You believe your own eyes over what someone else is telling you happened before.  You always trust your own hands on opinion over others and if you have an eye you are right.   

I remember Bobby Knight coaching Michael Jordan in Olympics.  After Olympics he went on David Letterman and other shows and was just like if you don't draft Jordan number 1 you need your head examined.   He said he was talking to Portland GM.   GM told him, look Bobby, we already have Drexler at SG, we need a center.  

Knight goes, "Fine.  Play Jordan at center then.  Just take him."

Not to go too Off topic.  Like I often do.  But reminded me of this story that made me laugh.  

Knight also talking about Jordan in Olympics. 

Before first game Knight says to team, "Hey guys, what happens in practice when Michael gets the ball?  Silence for a time, then one guy says, "He scores on us."   

Knight: "Exactly right.  He is probably going to do that to these guys too.  So let's get Michael the ball, okay? Great."

• Like 1