Senior Bowl Discussion

HuskieBear

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Not big on drafting guards versus drafting OTs and moving them to G, but O'Cyrus can play from clips I have seen.  He may be an exception.  

I am high on Darnell Wright.  I think everyone is.

I see Schmitz come up a lot on my mock simulations and I take him often.  Haven't actually watched him yet.   C is a definite position of upgrade for us (newsflash).

Rashee Rice is a guy whose highlights I really like.  I have heard good things about Dell, but haven't watched him yet. 

I remember Bears fell in love with Michael Haynes at Senior Bowl and he didn't turn out very good.   I remember a lot of standouts that didn't pan out.  

I think body of work in college (and coaches, player interviews and background which we don't get to see or hear) trump or should carry more weight than these post season sessions.   

But I get it.  If I was a coach and I was working with a guy hands on in person, just like in camp, it is hard for your opinion not to be formed off that.  You believe your own eyes over what someone else is telling you happened before.  You always trust your own hands on opinion over others and if you have an eye you are right.   

I remember Bobby Knight coaching Michael Jordan in Olympics.  After Olympics he went on David Letterman and other shows and was just like if you don't draft Jordan number 1 you need your head examined.   He said he was talking to Portland GM.   GM told him, look Bobby, we already have Drexler at SG, we need a center.  

Knight goes, "Fine.  Play Jordan at center then.  Just take him."

I've been right there with you in wanting to take OTs and fill the OL with them. Occasional standouts though can still get my attention. I drafted Trey Smith before KC got him and still am happy about it. I'd be fine taking Torrence and Vorhees. IDK much about Schmitz since I don't tend to value Cs as highly as what he is seemingly rated. Have seen him bury some guys and he tends to get himself to the side of his DT he wants, but for as strong as he looks I want to see more driving and less walling off. Could be way off since I have only seen a little of him. If I am going to have one player on the OL that isn't a high-end athlete I want him at C though. Just has to be able to anchor and be mean in the run game so he may be perfect for what I want.

Wright I would be happy to plug in anywhere.

Love the Knight quote. The only Jordan related quote I can remember from Letterman was when he asked MJ about his parents' and siblings' heights. Mike went on about them being shorter then made a crack about the milk man being about 6'7". 😂

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I like Dawand Jones too.   When an OT is that big and long with a minimum baseline of movement and athletic skills they are useful.    

Why I was higher on Orlando Brown coming out than almost everybody.   If they are super long and have decent college tape with bend, take them.  

If you can't bullrush them and they are super long - you have to travel all the way around them.   That is usually 2.5 seconds by itself.  If they can't get a good hand on you.

If they get a hand on you it is now around 3 seconds and 3 seconds is a really good block by today's standards.

Only edges with freakish bend defeat that and they are few and far between.   Plus conversely those big guys have the advantage on most of those bendy guys in run game.

Yep, and if they move inside they generally have a significant reach advantage than their DT counterparts. Mix the length with plus athleticism and you're looking damn good for a IOL prospect. That being said things happen faster on the inside so there has to be a good punch and quickness too. But they are generally OTs because they are athletic enough to fight some of the best athletes on the opposing team anyway.

Dawand Jones having ridiculous arm-length is another reason I like him as a prospect, Orlando Brown being my logic comp for him in my mock too. If his mobility is a concern he can lose a little weight and you can use the damn TE to chip the EDGE into him. Read that part again Getsy...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I've been right there with you in wanting to take OTs and fill the OL with them. Occasional standouts though can still get my attention. I drafted Trey Smith before KC got him and still am happy about it. I'd be fine taking Torrence and Vorhees. IDK much about Schmitz since I don't tend to value Cs as highly as what he is seemingly rated. Have seen him bury some guys and he tends to get himself to the side of his DT he wants, but for as strong as he looks I want to see more driving and less walling off. Could be way off since I have only seen a little of him. If I am going to have one player on the OL that isn't a high-end athlete I want him at C though. Just has to be able to anchor and be mean in the run game so he may be perfect for what I want.

Love the Knight quote. The only Jordan related quote I can remember from Letterman was when he asked MJ about his parents' and siblings' heights. Mike went on about them being shorter then made a crack about the milk man being about 6'7". 😂

Yep, and if they move inside they generally have a significant reach advantage than their DT counterparts. Mix the length with plus athleticism and you're looking damn good for a IOL prospect. That being said things happen faster on the inside so there has to be a good punch and quickness too. But they are generally OTs because they are athletic enough to fight some of the best athletes on the opposing team anyway.

Dawand Jones having ridiculous arm-length is another reason I like him as a prospect, Orlando Brown being my logic comp for him in my mock too. If his mobility is a concern he can lose a little weight and you can use the damn TE to chip the EDGE into him. Read that part again Getsy...

Jones is good enough as a pass blocker and an absolute killer in the run game. A right side of he and Jenkins on 3rd and short run plays sounds borderline unfair. I’d be curious to see how his movement skills look at like 340lb vs. 360lb. That’s an absolutely gigantic human though, and especially with that length I’ll be surprised if someone doesn’t take a chance on him much higher than his current projections (R2-3). 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Kyle Shanahan - but don't leave just the TE to block him

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/video/highlight-haason-reddick-s-sack-vs-brock-purdy-results-in-forced-fumble-followin

This why you implement BOB (big on big) rules incorporated into pass blocking schemes.   Read C.O.O.L. clinic book back in day.   Though I have since forgotten most of what I learned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Kyle Shanahan - but don't leave just the TE to block him

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/video/highlight-haason-reddick-s-sack-vs-brock-purdy-results-in-forced-fumble-followin

This why you implement BOB (big on big) rules incorporated into pass blocking schemes.   Read C.O.O.L. clinic book back in day.   Though I have since forgotten most of what I learned.

Also advantage of 5 down linemen lined up to rush passer.   Puts a lot of stress on scheme, especially if one ILB walks up.

In fairness now that  rewatch it.   They blocked it that way because they wanted that PA to look like zone left and hold the LBs.  

The play design with the end coming around should theoretically on paper stop/slow that wide 9 (Reddick) on his rush as he has to worry about that WR getting a hand off as he has contain responsibility.

But Reddick just went straight to QB and didn't care about end around and Purdy's day was done.

Few thoughts on these;

-Musgrave is going to end up in the First Round. 

-Im looking more into John Michael Schmitz, I can see why we would be very interested in him. But him being the Top Center in the Draft (by default, although Im still going to keep pushing that Skoronski is best as a C in the Pros) we will need a high 2nd in a trade down to even start thinking about getting him

-chuckled alittle seeing Reed false start on the rep they are using to talk about his breakout

-Ive liked Riley Moss for a while now, but at Safety. It has nothing to do with his speed (or whatever else you want to read into that) its more about his play style. Ball-hawking, while mostly facing the QB. 

-Ive been touting Brents for a while now. Guy is exactly what we are looking for in a Corner in this system. If hes there late enough, I think we will be looking to get him. (he's still pretty grabby, and a project, so I wouldnt over draft him)

-I think we all love Rashee Rice at this point

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Im looking more into John Michael Schmitz, I can see why we would be very interested in him. But him being the Top Center in the Draft (by default, although Im still going to keep pushing that Skoronski is best as a C in the Pros) we will need a high 2nd in a trade down to even start thinking about getting him

-I think we all love Rashee Rice at this point

I think there is no doubt Schmitz has separated himself as the best interior OL at the senior bowl…I think considering what Getsy had in GB with Linsley then taking Meyers in round 2 having a quality centre to prevent quick pressure right in Fields face is something we really should value…if we do get that high 2nd in a trade down he would make a lot of sense (also keep in mind the rumours Poles was ready to spend big on Brian Allen last offseason)…

The things I am seeing coming out of Mobile about Rice are really up and down…some say he is struggling with separation…some say he is doing well…all I know is I didn’t see many issues with separation on his tape but could this be a step up in the level of competition? Interesting never the less…I thought he would be a star down there…looking forward to seeing what he does during the game itself.

14 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Few thoughts on these;

-Musgrave is going to end up in the First Round. 

-Im looking more into John Michael Schmitz, I can see why we would be very interested in him. But him being the Top Center in the Draft (by default, although Im still going to keep pushing that Skoronski is best as a C in the Pros) we will need a high 2nd in a trade down to even start thinking about getting him

-chuckled alittle seeing Reed false start on the rep they are using to talk about his breakout

-Ive liked Riley Moss for a while now, but at Safety. It has nothing to do with his speed (or whatever else you want to read into that) its more about his play style. Ball-hawking, while mostly facing the QB. 

Musgrave being a first might push Washington to where the Bears have a chance at him. While not the move end I really want to pair with Kmet they would be a great duo. Both solid blockers and receiving threats. Hopefully Getsy would use them to attack the short  middle of the field. For some reason the offense avoided that area like the plague and it should be the easiest place to get quick yards that isn't behind the LOS. If not Washington then Kincaid should be an option. One of the three should be available.

Sko would be a solid center option, I don't think he is really top 10 at any position on the line but I'd be damn happy getting him on the line. Especially so at center though.

You know the CB had to be calling that too as soon as he made the catch   lol

This is what I was saying earlier in the year. He could play nickel, outside corner in a zone heavy scheme, or FS. Considering Flus used dime more than any other DC in IND (IIRC) I think Moss would be a really good option for that "positionless" role since he can tackle and cover.

• Like 1