Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

9 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Clemson definitely doesn’t need Kelley Bryant....

They made an awful decision to bench Bryant so early in tge season. It’s biting them, it doesn’t upset me at all though. Will Grier is lighting up Texas Tech in the first half, 4 TDs, not a surprise.

On 9/26/2018 at 12:21 PM, lavar703 said:

What Dabo Swinney did to Kelley Bryant is extremely dirty. Dude has killed it for Clemson and he benched him for a guy who has 4 years of eligibility left. Kind of a **** move. 

I think Dabo made a major mistake. He should have kept Kelly Bryant as the starter for most of the season and if he didn’t play well, then put Lawrence in.

Basically, Dabo should’ve done what Nick Saban did last year with Jalen Hurts and Tua. He should’ve kept Lawrence on the bench until he thought he needed to play him. Basically, keeping him as a bullpen pitcher. 

Now Lawrence is out for who knows how long, Bryant is gone and they’re down to their 3rd string Brice. What an idiot.

On 9/28/2018 at 12:35 AM, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah, I mean he WAS the reason they were even IN the game. No defense. No run game.

And then he holds on too long trying to get something and gets stripped.

Like I said before, its shades of Rypien. But Ryp grew out of it.

This. I’m not someone who really believes in pro athletes, especially NFL QBs, being “losers.” Usually, to get to the highest level of what you do, you have to be mentally strong and able to perform under pressure. Especially at a position like QB that is so mental and so cerebral. 

But I’ve watched every game (almost every  play) of Kirk's pro career, and it is impossible to escape the conclusion that while he is a very productive QB who will make lots of good plays and keep you in lots of games — he will, more often than not, find a way to lose. And it’s really not showing signs of changing on a new team. 

Week 1: Plays great first half. Doesn’t complete a pass in last 20 minutes and only defensive TD and numerous stops help them escape 49ers (at home).

Week 2: Great job leading them back. Throws game-ending INT and is only saved by awful roughing call. Fizzles multiple potential GW drives in FG range, not able to punch in TDs to close it out. 

Week 3: Mysterious and inexplicable no-show from Kirk and entire team. Gets crushed by worst team in football (at home). 

Week 4: Incredible duel with Goff. Piles up yards and TDs. Keeps them in the game. Poor clock management. Has chance to pull off game-tying (or -winning) drive, but takes multiple sacks and eventually turns ball over to end game. 

The whole thing has been a perfect microcosm of his Redskins career. So many yards, so many great throws, so many exciting games — and so many missed opportunities, so many brain freezes, so many disappointing outcomes. 

And yet so many folks who are brutal in their determinations that everything we do is “same old Redskins” turn into priests at the confessional when it comes to Kirk, offering forgiveness for each new sin every Sunday.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’m not someone who really believes in pro athletes, especially NFL QBs, being “losers.” Usually, to get to the highest level of what you do, you have to be mentally strong and able to perform under pressure. Especially at a position like QB that is so mental and so cerebral. 

But I’ve watched every game (almost every  play) of Kirk's pro career, and it is impossible to escape the conclusion that while he is a very productive QB who will make lots of good plays and keep you in lots of games — he will, more often than not, find a way to lose. And it’s really not showing signs of changing on a new team. 

Week 1: Plays great first half. Doesn’t complete a pass in last 20 minutes and only defensive TD and numerous stops help them escape 49ers (at home).

Week 2: Great job leading them back. Throws game-ending INT and is only saved by awful roughing call. Fizzles multiple potential GW drives in FG range, not able to punch in TDs to close it out. 

Week 3: Mysterious and inexplicable no-show from Kirk and entire team. Gets crushed by worst team in football (at home). 

Week 4: Incredible duel with Goff. Piles up yards and TDs. Keeps them in the game. Poor clock management. Has chance to pull off game-tying (or -winning) drive, but takes multiple sacks and eventually turns ball over to end game. 

The whole thing has been a perfect microcosm of his Redskins career. So many yards, so many great throws, so many exciting games — and so many missed opportunities, so many brain freezes, so many disappointing outcomes. 

And yet so many folks who are brutal in their determinations that everything we do is “same old Redskins” turn into priests at the confessional when it comes to Kirk, offering forgiveness for each new sin every Sunday.

I mean, bravo! Bravo! No one could have said it better. It’s like you want to like Kirk and you want to believe in him, I certainly did from 2015-2017 but there’s just always something he himself messes up. 

I wish him the best, but I’m fearful that things will never change because at some point you just are what you are. He’s a very good QB who will probably never be great because he’ll always do where you’re like wtf in a close game a few times a year.

I also find it quite ironic that the Vikings had a good running game and great defense before he got there, then he gets there and the defense - with the same personnel - all of a sudden is bad, and their running game can’t get going.

Perhaps that has nothing to do with him, but it’s just odd. We all know for example that Kirk was a better pure passer and QB than RG3 but when RG3 was in the game it seemed the running game was better. Now, a lot of that had to do with RG3’s ability as a run threat, but it’s just another odd observation.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

This. I’m not someone who really believes in pro athletes, especially NFL QBs, being “losers.” Usually, to get to the highest level of what you do, you have to be mentally strong and able to perform under pressure. Especially at a position like QB that is so mental and so cerebral. 

I'm not disagreeing with you at all here @e16bball. I think that, as much as I love the guy and like him as a QB, that I've been pretty fair in condemning him for the stuff he does wrong and praising him for the stuff he does right. I DO think that its not every time that he has that brain freeze. There've been plenty of times where he just got you the GW drive (or what would be the GW drive and the defense gives up a TD to lose it or the kicker misses a chip shot to tie or lose). But there ALSO have been other times where you're like "seriously???"

Kirk is who he is. He’ll throw for a ton of yards and three touchdowns but then do something mind numbingly stupid and take a knee instead of spiking the ball. He’s a pretty good QB but the Redskins absolutely made the right call moving on. They went as far as they could with him and you are seeing that now with the Vikings. He has his apologists and I got hammered on here for years for saying we needed to trade him away but in the end I was correct. 

He’s so much like Tony Romo that it’s eerie. Another guy who could absolutely torch a defense but in the end would just find a way to lose. What blows my mind is for a long time Redskins fans would make fun of Romo about it but when we had basically the indentical thing going on here the excuses never stopped. 

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm not disagreeing with you at all here @e16bball. I think that, as much as I love the guy and like him as a QB, that I've been pretty fair in condemning him for the stuff he does wrong and praising him for the stuff he does right. I DO think that its not every time that he has that brain freeze. There've been plenty of times where he just got you the GW drive (or what would be the GW drive and the defense gives up a TD to lose it or the kicker misses a chip shot to tie or lose). But there ALSO have been other times where you're like "seriously???"

Exactly. 

14 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Earl Thomas broke his leg. Looked brutal.

Yeah, sucks, he’s seriously one of my most players in the game. I remember I wanted him in the draft in 2010. I was hoping that we’d trade back for more picks and draft him or  that we had found some way to trade up and get him. I think we did excellent in drafting Trent though, so no complaints. 

I’m glad we didn’t trade for him now though, it’s just not the time and then this happened.

I read on bleacher report that he flicked off the Seahawks sideline as they were carting him to the lockeroom, is that true?

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Kirk is who he is. He’ll throw for a ton of yards and three touchdowns but then do something mind numbingly stupid and take a knee instead of spiking the ball. He’s a pretty good QB but the Redskins absolutely made the right call moving on. They went as far as they could with him and you are seeing that now with the Vikings. He has his apologists and I got hammered on here for years for saying we needed to trade him away but in the end I was correct. 

He’s so much like Tony Romo that it’s eerie. Another guy who could absolutely torch a defense but in the end would just find a way to lose. What blows my mind is for a long time Redskins fans would make fun of Romo about it but when we had basically the indentical thing going on here the excuses never stopped. 

I have to once again give you your props Lavar. You were right when you said we should’ve traded him instead of holding on to him in both 2016 & 17.

I just always thought that we’d eventually sign him, and I was wrong because neither side wanted one another.

Edited by turtle28

Ha! You guys will get a kick out of this, Redskins fans on twitter today were calling me a pessimist because they were all acting like it’s not Doctson’s fault that he hasn’t broken out yet and they have blind faith that he will. 

Then, this guy was getting all over me after he got all over the DC media for being negative all the time. He said there needed to be more “homerism” on the DC radio stations when talking about the Redskins.

I obviously had to disagree because I like realism. If the team screws up, I want honest analysis, not a bunch of Redskins appoligist all day long. ? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

He also flipped off his own team if the caption of the pic I saw was to be believed

I'd be mad at the Seahawks too if I were him. He lost millions cause of that injury. He wanted a long term/ better deal that he believes he deserves (rightfully so) before the season but they couldnt come to an agreement/give it to him. Thats why he was threatening to hold out. Similar to Le'veon's situation only difference is that Earl actually showed up when the season started. I feel like players in the future will hold out more for contracts they deserve and want. And they can use the Earl Thomas Injury as a point. Players need to look out for themselves, they need security because if an injury like this happens they lose millions. 

• Like 1