Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

The Browns should really consider firing Hue Jackson. There's bad and then there's BAD. Even teams with poor talent figure out how to win the occasional game but this is ridiculous. 1-19 is horrible. 

Why does anyone think Hue Jackson is a good head coach?  He's another one of these guys that's a good coordinator but bad HC.

On 9/30/2017 at 11:21 AM, turtle28 said:

Is there a reason you hate the wizards so much other than you don't like to see others excited when they play well?

Are you a fan of another team?

Or do you just want to make wizards fans  miserable?

Ive never understood why you are so against them.

Because they're a loser team.

I'm a University of Virginia fan. I know loser teams when I see them. I'm not going to spend an ounce of my heart or brain on a team that is simply a loser.

What boggles my mind is that you guys apparently don't see it. That makes it hilarious to me, and fun to mock you.

Things in the Wizards' favor: The Eastern Conference, especially the Southeast division, is a joke. As it stands right now, based on betting odds for who would win the NBA Finals, seven of the ten longest shots are in the Eastern Conference: Brooklyn, Orlando, Chicago, Atlanta, and Indiana at 1000-1; and the Knicks and Charlotte at 500-1. Detroit is the next worst team at 300-1. Think about that: right now, bookies (whose job it is is to make money on betting) think that more than half of the Eastern conference has a third of one percent or worse odds of hoisting the hardware. That includes 60% of the division.

Things against the Wizards: they're an inferior team to Boston and Cleveland. Right now, those two teams are picked to be #3 (Celtics are 8-1) and #2 (Cavs are 11-2) to win the O'Brien trophy. Granted, the Wizards have the third best Eastern chance (50-1), but the bettors are assuming that any non-Celtic/Cavalier team will have to go through both in order to face the Warriors (#1 at 5/8). That's not happening. The Wizards do not have the bench to do that. I'm not sure Gortat is worth what his cap value is, but he's certainly worth a ton more than wastes of money like Mahinmi. Yes, the cap was nuts last year, but that's the problem for the Wizards: even as the 3rd best team in the East, they're not a desirable destination to move to. Guys were voluntarily going to teams in the West to slog through a brutal path instead of coming to DC, where they'd just need a "couple of lucky breaks" (or so you tell yourself). Why? The players in the NBA know the Wizards are losers.

Root for them if you want, but don't be surprised when I mock you for it.

On 10/2/2017 at 8:08 PM, lavar703 said:

Man, this Marty Schottenheimer story is eating me alive. Such an awesome human being just being ravaged by a terrible disease. So sad. 

Alzheimer's is an insidious disease.

On 10/4/2017 at 12:10 AM, Woz said:

Alzheimer's is an insidious disease.

When Marty was talking about how cold the mornings are in PA and how he had to get ready for it and his wife had to remind him that they haven't lived in PA for while, that really got to me. That was gut wrenching. 

• Like 1

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/10/5/16429570/eli-manning-philip-rivers-giants-chargers 

"New York’s offensive line woes point to some of the problems GM Jerry Reese will face over the course of the next year. Whereas the Chargers already have defined solutions to their forthcoming roster departures and deficiencies, the Giants aren’t so lucky. Pugh and center Weston Richburg are set to be free agents after this season, and those are the good offensive linemen on the New York payroll. Jones and Fluker are poised to be free agents as well, and given the untenable play of tackles Ereck Flowers and Bobby Hart, it’s possible that Reese could enter next year with question marks at all five spots along the line. As things stand now, the Giants will have about $30.5 million in cap room to play with next spring, but that money will dry up fast after shelling out cash for a brand-new starting five. With the shortage of quality linemen around the league, Richburg and Pugh should have voracious suitors on the open market. Retaining them will likely require Reese to pay the sticker price, and that’d still leave the team without a viable tackle. The whole situation is an absolute mess.

The financial issues only become more troublesome when you take into account that the Giants’ two best players—Beckham and safety Landon Collins—are entering the final year of their rookie deals in 2018. Reese has one franchise tag at his disposal and no conceivable option to let either player hit free agency. That means at least one of those guys will almost certainly land a market-setting extension before the end of next season. A thinning pool of money puts the Giants in the unenviable position of a being a team with fatal flaws that lacks the resources to address them.

This is a reality brought on by the approach Reese and the front office took to the free-agent market in 2016. By doling out a flurry of massive contracts to pass rusher Olivier Vernon, cornerback Janoris Jenkins, and defensive tackle Damon Harrison, the Giants left themselves without much future wiggle room. All three signings were undeniable victories last season, with the defense fueling the team’s run to the playoffs and jumping from 30th to second in DVOA. But those contracts were supposed to prop open the Giants’ short-term window as contenders. Instead, as Reese redid the entire second floor of his house, the wood downstairs began to rot."

Pretty good read if you want to read the whole article.  This is why I thought going on that major shopping spree last year in free agency was so stupid for them.  You can't buy a defense in one offseason.  

• Like 1