JP or Myles Garret

El Ramster

Julius Peppers,

159.5 sacks, 51 sacks and 11 INT.

Myles Garret,

74.5 sacks, 13 FF and 0 INT 

Both athletic phenoms with JP being the bigger freak IMO. Dude was blocking FG like

nothing. Him returning a Mick Vick fumble lives rent free in my head. Who are you taking and why. To me JP was a bigger force and the better player. Dude was just a freak.. 

Who’s better in your mind? Can Myles accend past the next level? Can he win a DPOY? He’ll be 28 next year! Top peak male performance years are up ahead.. Myles seems to have the ability and frame.. But he doesn’t seem to strike fear like other vaunted pass rushers… 

Who you got and why? 

3 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Julius Peppers and it's not even close. Myles needs to actually focus on maybe at least ONCE being the best pass rusher in the league for at least one season.

The follow up question to that has to be: when has Peppers been the best pass rusher in the league for a season?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

The follow up question to that has to be: when has Peppers been the best pass rusher in the league for a season?

He was deff one of the best If not the best in his time in Car. The stuff he would do was nuts. Him and Jenkins were animals. 

4 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

He was deff one of the best If not the best in his time in Car. The stuff he would do was nuts. Him and Jenkins were animals. 

No doubt, they were, and he was. But I think you can more or less say the same about Garrett right now: he’s one of the best pass rushers. 

Blaq said it’s Peppers and not even close, then followed up by saying Garrett should focus on being the best pass rusher for a single season. As high end as Peppers was, I don’t think there was a season where he was the best pass rusher either, like #1 in the league. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Julius Peppers and it's not even close. Myles needs to actually focus on maybe at least ONCE being the best pass rusher in the league for at least one season.

Fi_HVLvXkAMjfmK?format=jpg&name=900x900

lizard-laughing.gif

Lets just say that if Myles Garrett wasnt the most double teamed and held rusher in the NFL every year, he would have 20+ sacks on multiple different occasions.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

My initial reaction was Peppers for sure, but man if we're talking about who was better through 6 seasons (and I don't see any other way to compare, we don't know if Myles has even peaked yet) the #s are all Myles. Peppers was definitely more dominant and could effect the game in more ways, but Myles consistently is hard to deny.

Through 1st 6 seasons:

Myles Garrett

Accolades:
2x 1st, 2x 2nd, 4x pro bowl

84/98 games (85.7%)

Per Game stats:
3.13 tackles, .92 TFL, 0.89 sacks, 0.15 FFs, .15 deflections 

Playoffs:
2 games, 1 sack, 2 tackles

Julius Peppers

Accolades:
DROY, 2x 1st, 3x pro bowl

90/96 games (93.4%)

Per Game stats:
3.25 tackles, .71 TFL, 0.62 sacks, 0.22 FFs, .38 deflections (in additiona to 4 INTs, and 2 return TDs)

Playoffs:
7 games, INT, 2 sacks, 3 TFL, 3 tackles, 20 tackles, 4 PDs, 

Not sure who was better.  But dropping this in here because it is one of my favorite performances from a player (Peppers vs Minnesota 2009 on SNF)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0zZM3PUzyc&ab_channel=BearsSpotlight

Pep was awesome, but questions about his work ethic did follow him his last few years here.  But he came back and was awesome and we all forgave him.

I think we're misremembering Peppers a bit here, and admittedly I was too. We all view him as this freak pass rusher in the early 2000's who was just wrecking shop, and obviously he was very good, but the stats don't pop off the page like I expected. Granted, they threw a fair bit less back then, but still. Peppers also didn't seem to have a peak, per se. He was more or less the same guy from a production standpoint for his entire career, which is remarkably impressive for a pass rusher. Peppers is a Hall of Famer, but I think when you compare peaks, Garrett has him beat. and Garrett might not have reached his peak yet.

Edited by HerbertGOAT
  • Like 3

I was as big of a Julius Peppers fan as you'll ever find. Absolute freak of nature. He and Sean Taylor were my all-time favorite players.

That said, Garrett is a better pass rusher. He's got way more tools and has a much freakier first step/bend. Peppers had some great years, but even I would have to say that he was always a tad overrated. He didn't wreck games all that often and his "prime" was very short. He was very good for a while, but Garrett has been in the elite category now for longer than Peppers was. Or, at least, should have been for those paying attention.

I've got 3 Julius Peppers jerseys in my closet, but give me Garrett. It's also important to note that Peppers played on defense with other fantastic front 7 guys. Garrett has been playing with absolute trash in his front 7. I have no problem with those saying Peppers, but saying it's Peppers and it's not close? That's just idiotic and untrue.