NFL to discuss banning “hip-drop” tackle

Soko

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

QBs are a different story. There are valid criticisms to how they're making it impossible to know what a legal tackle of a QB is.

I think we can all agree that the cause that generated this discussion was, in all likelihood, Patrick Mahomes. If it gets implemented (which I doubt, at least for 2023), it’ll almost definitely be a protection for QBs, if not all ball carriers.

It happened earlier in the season to Mac Jones and no one batted an eye, lol. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

The idea that Jimmy Ward couldn't have tackled Tony Pollard any other way on this play is just such bull shiot. He could have grabbed Pollard around the waist and used his momentum to spin him down by falling to his right. He could have also gone low and wrapped up Pollard's legs or cut them out from under him.

Don't focus on one situation. Well, okay do, but not that one. Say you are chasing down a WR from behind and both going full speed ahead how are you supposed to tackle him once you catch up?

If this becomes a rule there will be no way to tackle that player.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Don't focus on one situation. Well, okay do, but not that one. Say you are chasing down a WR from behind and both going full speed ahead how are you supposed to tackle him once you catch up?

If this becomes a rule there will be no way to tackle that player.

You tackle him by the legs. Or grab him around the hips and spin or drive him to the ground (depending on your angle). Or you jump on him and pull him down to the side. There are a million ways to tackle a guy without doing the move that would be banned here. 

Edited by jrry32

Just now, jrry32 said:

You tackle him by the legs. Or grab him around the hips and spin or drive him to the ground (depending on your angle). Or you jump on him and pull him down to the side. There are a million ways to tackle a guy without doing the move that would be banned here. 

Running full speed down the sideline?

I mean you can just go for an ankle tackle and hope but you are abandoning the basics of tackling.

I'm not going to go further with this, I don't even believe you believe your argument.

• Like 7

I’m 99% certain the guys complaining in this thread don’t know what this tackle is. The defenders have other options to get the opponent to the ground, in most efficient ways. These are instances where they are deliberately riding up and dropping on the backs of legs to increase risk of injury. 

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

I’m all for player safety, but c’mon now. You need to penalize the ball carrier for not going down on initial contact if you want to actually make this change.

This one is really stupid.

If the NFL actually cares about player safety, TNF and 17 game seasons wouldn't exist.

It's all about advertising and protecting the QBs.

Edited by biggie.

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I mean you can just go for an ankle tackle and hope but you are abandoning the basics of tackling.

I'm not going to go further with this, I don't even believe you believe your argument.

What about tying their shoelaces together? That could work I think. 

• Like 2

Here’s an idea, quicker whistle when the ball carriers stall for forward progress.

Also, banning push plays like they used to from other non ball carriers.

The horse collar was a technique never taught and made sense given how Roy Williams was out there breaking legs.

Whats next, banning gang tackling? Man throw a flag on the guy who comes in to clean up a wrapped ball carrier he shouldn’t be hitting him unnecessarily hard.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Can’t do 2 different types of tackles, can’t hit a quarterback low, can’t hit a quarterback high, can’t hit a defenseless receiver, can’t land with all of your weight on a quarterback. Can’t play cover 2 or have illegal contact with a receiver after approximately 5 yards.

”Why does nobody want to play defense?”

this

20 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

how do you legislate a rule like that? i don't think the grand majority of these are intentional, they're just guys doing their best to stop the offensive player.

We need less penalties in this game , not more.

and this

the NFL is getting stupid on defensive play.. 

15 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Can you post a single video of the "hip drop tackle" in the scenario you are describing? I can't think of it even happening under those circumstances. 

I've already posted a video example of it, and it is clear from the video that the defender could have tackled him a number of different ways. So show me video proof of a play where the defender had no other choice (excepting the QB position, as I already credited the point earlier that it's getting close to impossible to tell what a legal hit on a QB even is). You're the one making these absurd allegations. Back them up.

Edited by jrry32

56 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Can you post a single video of the "hip drop tackle" in the scenario you are describing? I can't think of it even happening under those circumstances. 

I've already posted a video example of it, and it is clear from the video that the defender could have tackled him a number of different ways. So show me video proof of a play where the defender had no other choice (excepting the QB position, as I already credited the point earlier that it's getting close to impossible to tell what a legal hit on a QB even is). You're the one making these absurd allegations. Back them up.

I mean, this is dumb so I'll add some entertainment to it by posting Adam Vinatieri running down Hershall Walker from behind to tackle him.

Edited by Thomas5737