Saints to name Joe Woods as DC

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Oh and if we are including offense, Kellen Moore and Mike McCarthy is a pretty easy example.

He was there two year before McCarthy and already had an established offense clicking.

Pretty much the opposite of what is happening in New Orleans. 

remember earlier when I said I didn’t think you were paying any attention to context? I still don’t think you’re paying any attention to context 

13 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I think a bigger issue for the Saints comes to the cap and how their personnel is tied up. They keep kickign the can down the road instead of ripping off the bandaid for a rebuild and it's going to bite them on defense sooner rather than later with all of their DL and LB talent coming up for contracts this year and next.

I won’t disagree with this.

3 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

For those confused by the hire. Maybe putting it in these terms will help with understanding the organizational structure of our defense.

Season 7 Nbc GIF by The Office

Regional Manager:

Dennis Allen

Hiring Season 3 GIF by The Office

Assistant to the Regional Manager:

Joe Woods

I take it you don't like Dennis Allen?

23 minutes ago, Dome said:

Literally not what I’ve said at all lol

but I’ll bet you the saints defense is good next year with little to no change in the scheme

Serious question, what is their current scheme?

23 minutes ago, Dome said:

you said something “generally happens” a certain way, then when I asked you to to produce an example of it happening that way to went back in the Time Machine and referenced one of the best coaches in modern football history getting hired by another one if the best coaches 

do you have another example or not? Cause it seems like now you’re refusing to discuss it further and being pedantic lol 

No, my "generally happens a certain way" point was that GENERALLY when a coordinator is hired, they then implement that coordinator's said scheme. That is generally how it works.

You asked me to provide an example of a HC who is a guy on that side of the ball hiring someone else on that side of the ball who runs something different, which wasn't my point at all to begin with.

My point was that, in all likelihood, Woods will run his scheme.

If you guys already run a base even front nickel/big nickel heavy zone scheme without blitzing, I'd anticipate the success to continue. If you don't, I'd anticipate some changes to go that direction.

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I mean the way I look at this is, best case scenario the defense stays at the level it was. It can't get better with Joe Woods.

fair… but can it get better with more talent? 

Dennis Allen and his staff have had almost every player on the defense playing at their ceiling since he showed up. Very few guys have underperformed under Allens watch, even with staff getting poached and promoted and high-end roster turnover everywhere except LB.

the saints weren’t going to be able to make a hire for a guy that was some high end DC who is going to improve an already great defense into an elite one. Those guys just don’t want to come play for a guy like Allen who already has his defense performing well. 

However, worst case scenario is Joe Woods actually comes in and has influence on the defense and it goes right to where Cleveland's defense went.

I understand how this could play out. 

Im failing to see the scenario that explains why it would play out like this.

When has a coach hired a castoff coordinator to come in and drastically change up something the head coach already has clicking really well?

Maybe I’m missing something but it seems like everyone is assuming something we rarely see happen is what’s happening here. 

It's hard for me to believe the defense won't regress with a new coordinator, even if he's just coordinator-in-title-only. However, I guess this is the NFCS and the other 3 teams in the division literally don't have starting QB's at the moment...

I’m not saying the defense won’t regress. Cam Jordan is a year older, same with Mathieu and Demario Davis. those guys are hugely important and need to keep performing at a high level…

I think the Saints will need to add some talent to the DL to keep from declining a little.

What I am saying is that Dennis Allen isn’t going to let Joe Woods come in and ruin his strong defense he’s built by making poor personnel and gameplan choices, it’s still Allen’s defense and he’s got it performing how he likes. Woods will be coordinating Allens defense.

And yeah, he’ll leave his fingerprints on it in his own way I’m sure. But fundamentally there’s no reason to expect much change from what Allen has found success with over the last 5 seasons.

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Serious question, what is their current scheme?

I took a year off to distance myself from the stank of Watson being in our building so I’m not sure if there were slight changes this year with Allen running without a DC. 

But before this season it was even front with two linebackers and  even split of Quarters vs Cover 1 man 

Outside CBs play tight man, SS/slot CBs play a robber role and leverage themselves to clog up the short/mid passing , FS plays deep 

I’m assuming we saw more quarters this year to make up for the loss of our safeties, but not much 

Edited by Dome

7 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Have not been a fan of him in as a Head Coach. He's good as a D Coordinator, but Head Coach definitely isn't his ideal role at this level.

Some guys just aren't head coaches.

1 minute ago, Dome said:

Nick Underhill is one of the best in the business. He’s got this locked down.

So basically the arrangement the Falcons have with Arthur Smith and Dave Ragone in Atlanta 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dome said:

I took a year off to distance myself from the stank of Watson being in our building so I’m not sure if there were slight changes this year with Allen running without a DC. 

But before this season it was even front with two linebackers and a pretty even split of Quarters man vs Cover 1 man 

Outside CBs play tight man, SS/slot CBs play a robber role and leverage themselves to clog up the short/mid passing , FS plays deep 

I’m assuming we saw more quarters this year to make up for the loss of our safeties 

So, I'd say that you're getting, in Woods, per my original point:

An even front guy (check)

Nickel personnel (check)

Deep FS/Single high (check)

...and then from there if I had to bet, you'll be more quarters and Cover 3 as opposed to a tight man and robber, which would be the Woods fingerprints

1 minute ago, Dome said:

Nick Underhill is one of the best in the business. He’s got this locked down.

And he's a major zone DB guy and has been everywhere he's coached.

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

if I had to bet, you'll be more quarters and Cover 3 as opposed to a tight man and robber, which would be the Woods fingerprints

The original statement you made was: 

“Lattimore will be forced to play almost solely cover 3”

If your stance is simply that you think we will see some Woods fingerprints putting us in cover three a bit more than we did last year, then there isn’t a debate from me. 

59 minutes ago, Dome said:

The original statement you made was: 

“Lattimore will be forced to play almost solely cover 3”

If your stance is simply that you think we will see some Woods fingerprints putting us in cover three a bit more than we did last year, then there isn’t a debate from me. 

After watching him take Denzel Ward, one of the best man/press man corners in the league, and forcing him into playing mostly Cover 3, I stand by that comment. He will absolutely be playing almost solely Cover 3 or Quarters in almost exclusively single high looks with some man/press man match concepts on the back end of trips opposite him.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

After watching him take Denzel Ward, one of the best man/press man corners in the league, and forcing him into playing mostly Cover 3, I stand by that comment. He will absolutely be playing almost solely Cover 3 or Quarters in almost exclusively single high looks with some man/press man match concepts on the back end of trips opposite him.

You’re now saying you’re standing by a statement that you’re also adding caveats to.

disappointed come on GIF

Enjoy the off-season man, I guess you win this one lol.