Saints to name Joe Woods as DC

RaidersAreOne

I get that this is really Dennis Allen's #2 - but man, Woods was very meh in DEN, and then downright awful in CLE.     I'm not sure what alternatives NO had, though.   But it's pretty uninspired, to be kind.    Competent position coach, totally overmatched beyond that role.  At least he won't call plays.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

I get that this is really Dennis Allen's #2 - but man, Woods was very meh in DEN, and then downright awful in CLE.     I'm not sure what alternatives NO had, though.   But it's pretty uninspired, to be kind.    Competent position coach, totally overmatched beyond that role.  At least he won't call plays.

Where is he best suited as a positional coach? 

Dennis Allen is the DC, but the saints just lost Ryan Nielsen and Kris Richards who were both named defensive co-coordinators. Nielsen was the DL coach and Richards was the DB coach. 

If woods is just coming in to look over a position he has shown he’s good at coaching, and DA is calling the plays and making the defensive game plan I’m fine with this move 

11 minutes ago, Dome said:

Where is he best suited as a positional coach? 

Dennis Allen is the DC, but the saints just lost Ryan Nielsen and Kris Richards who were both named defensive co-coordinators. Nielsen was the DL coach and Richards was the DB coach. 

If woods is just coming in to look over a position he has shown he’s good at coaching, and DA is calling the plays and making the defensive game plan I’m fine with this move 

He's made his bones as secondary coach - he's decent there.    FWIW I get that with Allen as defacto DC, you can't get great candidates without play-calling duties.  Anything more than secondary coach, though, I'd be leery.

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

He's made his bones as secondary coach - he's decent there.    FWIW I get that with Allen as defacto DC, you can't get great candidates without play-calling duties.  Anything more than secondary coach, though, I'd be leery.

Hopefully he’s just there to cover for the loss of Richards. Who from what I gather was essentially fired but asked to step away so it didn’t look like that?

There were weird circumstances surrounding his exit.

and yeah having DA keeping a strong defense going despite losing talented players, and having all the play calling duties… nobody who is anybody wants this DC job, last year we didn’t even technically have a true DC on the staff 

Edited by Dome

First of all Joe woods has his problems.

But look at all the linebackers 

We drafted a de with no sacks for ojabo.

Clowney however much was overplayed with 2 sacks.

Dt 125 rated and 126th rated does not matter who you are when you asked to coach that hot garbage.

Newsome a 1st round pick had a 60s

Rating.

Drafting 

Let's see how good he is with this team 

Hamilton 1st round last year 

Ojabo 2nd round trade a 3 round

And 4th for Jarrett while he was available 

Then give him the kid from army

Plus Harrison my guess is Cleveland would be this years Philadelphia.

Point berry has done a horrific job of Drafting 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

As the secondary coach in Denver...Didn't the Broncos finish with the best passing defense in the league?

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

First of all Joe woods has his problems.

But look at all the linebackers 

We drafted a de with no sacks for ojabo.

Clowney however much was overplayed with 2 sacks.

Dt 125 rated and 126th rated does not matter who you are when you asked to coach that hot garbage.

Newsome a 1st round pick had a 60s

Rating.

Drafting 

Let's see how good he is with this team 

Hamilton 1st round last year 

Ojabo 2nd round trade a 3 round

And 4th for Jarrett while he was available 

Then give him the kid from army

Plus Harrison my guess is Cleveland would be this years Philadelphia.

Point berry has done a horrific job of Drafting 

4th for Jarrett? Who Jarrett?